Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Am making it. I'm almost done with the first map, which I might post as a sort of "trailer". It's pretty good, even if I do say so myself (though a bit heavy on the dialog and story telling, which'll all be skippable fortunately).

Hmmm...

69 views and only 1 reply is giving me the impression there's no real interest in this. Not to sound arrogant, but I'm not going to make a map that no one is going to play. I've done enough of that already with Starcraft to know better.

People will play it if it's good. Noone is interested in unfinished project #93457

Personally I find it too long to even consider reading, further I dont give a crap about the story in doom. I guess other people feel differently though.

Well the idea here is to not make it a run of the mill Doom level, but I guess I should put my money where my mouth is and hurry up and finish the first level for show and tell.

If I do though, I'd appreciate at least SOME feedback, or else I'll just go on to doing my other projects.

Rainbow Bridge... isn't there a level with the same name in Eternall Doom?

Nmn said:

Rainbow Bridge... isn't there a level with the same name in Eternall Doom?

yep, map24 by the almighty Chris Coleur iirc.

Come on, guys. Norse mythology? Bridge to Aesgard? Yeah I played Eternal Doom and remember that level, but this isn't like that at all.

Anyway, the name is symbolic as it is in effect the "bridge to heaven" (of which Aesgard is the Norse equivalent of heaven), both figuratively and literally. Where else could you go to find something to counter demons from "hell" than that of "heaven" itself? Well it'll make more sense in the story, and speaking of which I have a solid plan on how to implement it, but I'll need to brush up on my ZDoom scripting knowledge to pull it off as I intend.

Anyway, you can at least check out the screenshots on my webpage that I linked to in my other thread to see I've at least done maps before... quite good ones, actually, despite being unfinished. I'm older now so I can focus and plan better to finish things, not to mention I have more skill at it then way back then, so I have no doubt I can make a kick ass set of maps here with some time and energy.

Energy isn't just a one way thing though, so at some point I'll have to see some kind of indication that there'd be appreciation for this, otherwise I'd rather not waste my time. If Doom really is dead though, then just say so and save me the time and energy. I come from back when it was still active and it saddens me to see how little of that energy is left, though I'm not really surprised, but nevertheless I want to try and bring back some of that, in spite of this being such and old game and all. I hope you understand.

I thought the story was pretty cool. I haven't had time to comment, though.

There's been no indication of the quality of the project IMO.

Why the hell did you make such as big-ass story for a Doom wad? Just make it something like "Monsters have appeared. Again. Go kill them." and reveal things along the way.

Darkman 4 said:

Why the hell did you make such as big-ass story for a Doom wad?

heh, You could ask Team Future the same. Because Story makes a wad unique, not *another* kill monsters and survive.

Tuxedo-good luck with such an ambitious project. I urge You to abandon Your projects and focus all Your energy on this if You want it to survive. IMO a project of this caliber needs plenty of dedication from it's author(s).

Nmn said:

IMO a project of this caliber needs plenty of dedication from it's author(s).

Something the DRD team knows about. Trust him, Tuxedo.

It's called Asgård, but you guys don't use å so I guess it'll translate Asgaard or Asgaord. Either way, the Bridge isn't reffered to as the rainbow bridge, it's name is "Rimfrost".

First I thought you were gonna make a Rainbow Brai mod or whatever she's called. Something that haunts me from my childhood. :p Some little girl riding on her horse making rainbows for it to run on.

Tuxedo - story sounds good, but I agree, a bit long winded to read. Expose that in the game as the player progresses somehow. And in ZOOM you have a ton of options.

One thing you have to realize is that you need to make this because you want to, not because of an expectation that people will reply and praise you.

I made QDOOM for me, took several years doing the work 99% by myself - music, sounds, textures, graphics, levels, scripts, RTS, DDF, everything except a few textures and sky slats. The biggest reaction was hatred because I chose to use the EDGE engine, which people seem to either be indifferent about, or severely hate. But I knew that would happen, but I continued anyway.

So if you're gonna do any game project, firstly do it for yourself. Otherwise it ain't worth doing at all. Secondly, don't accounce it till you're done. As you can tell, everyone here has seem a million people come and say what they want to do, but dissapear shortly after, never to be seen again.

Get your project where you have something to show, then ask around the for people to join in for work or beta testing, and do it quietly. Then release it when you're done. People always love it when a level shows up out of the blue, and they will have no expectations of dissapointment.

Don't be a Diakatana in other words. :) Less hype is better.

Fanatic said:

Don't be a Diakatana in other words. :) Less hype is better.

Amen, brother!

Look at RTC for instance, it came out, tough we knew it will someday, it just.. appeared alluva sudden! There weren't too many screenshots, information, especially about the story which was-without the fear of the hyperbole-godlike.

Heh, you all definitely sound like you've sure been around the block a few times here. I doubt any of you know me from the SC scene but if you do you'd know I'm not one to skimp on even the most daunting of projects. But yeah, I'll just get the map done and shut up for now.

And why fool myself? All I really want with any of my projects is recognition anyway, and not just to get some arbitrary "fun" out of it. Bragging rights, ego cookies, whatever you want to call it, that's what I'm aiming for. And try telling me that isn't what everyone else ultimately tries for either (maybe not fame in general, but there's no map maker on earth that wouldn't want to see their map getting appreciation).

Regardless, whether or not that sounds arrogant, it means that I'll have a lot more to aim for than just making merely "any ol wad" in order to meet that end, which translates into a better map to play for the rest of you.

As for the story, which there will be a lot of it (though I'll mercifully allow the option to skip most of it), it unfolds in greater depth and sophistication in game... even more than I alluded to in the above 2 page intro. Even if you don't like the idea of having a story in Doom, you might want to keep an open mind here as I have some really cool ideas for this!

I guess you got some stuff to prove now :P Better put action behind those words and all that...

Your choice. We (me and my team) are working for fun. For us to have fun making the mod and for the players to have fun and great memories after playing our wad. It's nice ofcourse if someone would make us a fanhub once we release our production but it's all just hours of great experiences and even more memories. Don't be fooled, games DO stay in Your heart.

I like addictive storylines and projects that have more meaning than just "get in there marine and kick their asses hard!". That's probably why RTC, Strife or Claustrophobia found ways into my heart much deeper than AV or HR2, but it's only my opinion.

This block You mentioned is nothing more but lack of motivation.IMO a team should be made of team members that are dedicated to the project, so when one feels like starting something new, or breaking out of the team the rest must kick his butt to remind that he/she must remain in the team and work :) You can't pet Your members to motivate them, sometimes You gotta be rude, but it's not about being kind or brutal, it's about being honest.
So has spoken a member of a team.

Overall, wish You luck on Your project. As a final advice You might want to get some team-mates (tough don't be fooled, that will be rather hard by posting a plea on a forum as people will response that You should show something You've already made, so I suggest contacting people via mails or PM's, they'll feel more unique as You've chosen and asked them to help You, chosen them from the crowd) Teams are great for motivation and working, especially on grand projects like the one You've just announced. Regards.

I've never had good experience with teams, but that was on an altogether different game where maps had to be passed around to one person at a time instead of being able to be divided up or shared, so I might consider that. It'd be nice not having to do 100% of the work myself for a change, even though I'm used to that.