Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lüt

Anybody good at making maps look yummy?

Heh, I'm doing pretty well with Doom Millennium, but I still have a position I want to fill: I'd like to find somebody who can touch up any or all of 4 maps. Given this project's long history, there are some maps that were finished way back in 1997 and could use some updating. No change to gameplay or level flow, just extra eye candy. At the moment these maps are on par with the visual appeal of the original Doom2 maps and I'd like them modernized a bit. If anybody has some time to futz around with these, would you mind dropping me a line? Examples of previous work could help (although almost anything is better than what I have now :P).

I might be interested, but I would want to see what they are like at the moment before commiting myself.

Previous work can be seen at http://www.doomheaven.co.uk, wads by "Big Al" or "Alastair" thats me 8).

heres a map i started a couple days ago.....
http://ralphis.slipgate.org/skippy/heh/DOOM002.png
http://ralphis.slipgate.org/skippy/heh/Image2.png
heh, off to school!

Sorry, I'm occupied.

Btw, Skippy, that doesn't look very good because of the crappy choice of textures.

Fredrik: this is a quite common way to build maps.. I know that Mike 'Risen' Niggel and Toke use this way of editing.. (different with Toke is that he builds the base then add detail and textures)

Fredrik: this is a quite common way to build maps.. I know that Mike 'Risen' Niggel and Toke use this way of editing.. (different with Toke is that he builds the base then add detail and textures)

That's actually not a half-bad way of doing it, come to think of it. Usually I just make the entire level architechture (textures too) and do the enemies and items last, but using the base texture to make the level first is a good idea... maybe I'll try that during my heretic thingamajig and see if it works out good.

It probably works better, because I start to run out of ideas when I detail my map from the beginning and all the way through

I do everything, textures, architecture, lighting, items and badguys, even alignment as I go along. Most of the time. When I serious about a map I'm making that is.

I do everything, textures, architecture, lighting, items and badguys, even alignment as I go along. Most of the time. When I serious about a map I'm making that is.

That's why I grow bored after the first room.

Finally, he actually makes a public announcement about Millenium!
After this, are you going to update Team Insanity?
PLEASE SAY YES!!

I will once Millennium's out.

I've got a fairly big update going right now already.

Lüt, did you see my post in ND regarding your request? I haven't been able to get in there for a couple of days, so I don't know if you replied.

I'd be happy to do the detailing for your 4 maps once I'm done with my Mission Pack, which should be soon.

I've been looking into them, I guess the texturing is a little bit more difficult than the actual architecture enhancement.

Yeah, same here. I don't usually get bored of a level for a while though. I've kinda stopped on my current Freedoom level tho, and I've got halfway through a room which was gonna be the first one, but is now turning into somewhere in the middle of the map.

I've been doing the map thing for a while (i finally figured out EVERYTHING except the donut thing which still gives me trouble) though nothing's left the desktop. I'm in the process of making a realistic eye-candy SP super-playability stratigic map set. I currently have 4 1/2 maps done. I might post some screenies REAL soon.