Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

Holy Flurking Shnit

Pfft, I can beat Knee-Deep in the Dead on I'm Too Young To Die much faster than that.

First post, by the way.

sargebaldy said:

12 more seconds to go...

He did these without sound too, didn't he?

That seems to be what the text file suggests, although I assume that when you're playing at this level sound doesn't really make much difference because you're on a set route anyway and if there was some reason you needed to hear something unexpected then the run is probably fucked anyways.

edit: Although the archvile trick on Map27 seems like it should require sound, although he explains that waiting exactly 7 seconds does the trick.

Wow, this is really, this guy must be a devil in deathmatch

Linguica said:

edit: Although the archvile trick on Map27 seems like it should require sound, although he explains that waiting exactly 7 seconds does the trick.

It's not foolproof but it reflects the behavior of the archvile after I leave... lucky he usually follows the same pattern, otherwise I might as well quit the run (running into the room to find the door is still closed).

Vegeta said:

Wow, this is really, this guy must be a devil in deathmatch

Nah, I'm not nearly as experienced in deathmatch as some people I hear about, so I'd get kicked around without much trouble. The most deathmatch I've ever played is zdaemon ctf and ffa.

Scuba Steve said:

I noticed that he went ot map 31 but didn't go to map 32... is this common in speedruns?

For a straight run of the game it's not required to go to map32... or even map31 for that matter. Map31 is quicker to reach than the normal map15 exit though. Map32 used to be part of the 30nm route, since it's a great stopping point for cells and a megasphere, but it was cut out to save time. Map16 has the 4 plasma rifles to provide cells.

Linguica said:

I assume that when you're playing at this level sound doesn't really make much difference because you're on a set route anyway and if there was some reason you needed to hear something unexpected then the run is probably fucked anyways.

For switch tricks it is very useful to have sound (you can hear when you have succeeded in pressing the switch, even though you can't see it). They occur in the standard speedrun routes in map11, map15 and map28 (I've probably forgotten some). Fortunately they are not difficult ones (and if you don't get it quickly on map15, you're dead anyway).

Congratulations, vile (haven't seen you since this came out) - about to watch it, I'm sure it rocks.

Playing without sound is definitely weird - in theory you don't really need it, but I've made some runs without sound and I always find I play much better with it turned on.

as vile himself said, he's not the best dm player - if you want your arse well and truly handed to you on a plate in deathmatch, play sedlo (if you can find him, anyway) or ocelot. that *hurts*. speedrunning and dm are very different, although most speedrunners are at least very good at dm.

I've had the opportunity of a few run-ins with Sedlo.. it's more comedy than competition :) I was happy to end with even one positive frag playing him to 50 on doom2 map01.

I didn't play sedlo myself (I've watched a lot of demos), but I played ocelot once, on csdoom, with a ping advantage. I maanged to keep it to 20-15 (to him) by concentrating harder than I ever concentrated on a game before for ten minutes. Then I couldn't keep it up any more, and ended up losing comfortably. Scary :)

Scuba Steve said:

I noticed that he went ot map 31 but didn't go to map 32... is this common in speedruns?

That depends whether secret levels are mandatory or not. But it is faster to go through the first secret level than the regular MAP15 exit. You save the entire southeastern building (not to mention getting the yellow key) of MAP15 if you do that and going through MAP31 is definitely faster.

insertwackynamehere said:

It goes out of sync at level5 :(

I got that problem. Then I used PRBoom and it ran all the way through.

If you use Doom95 it will desynch because the Lost Souls act differently (as in The Ultimate DOOM's DOS engine, not DOOM II's.) As you'll see they show up first on Map05.