Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoMarine

Questions about the Doom series

All right. Even an avid Doom fanatic as myself can't be aware of all things Doom, even though I know the most of it, but I'd like to aks a few questions, some silly, some not,but I find them interesting. If you know the answers, please, help me out.

1. What is "Doom Companion" that I've heard about? Some add-on or something?

2. The imp corpse has a black hole in the middle of the spread legs. I guess that even the monsters have to take a dump, but is that THAT hole?

3. How do you enter the next level if you manage to hit the exit switch at 0% health?

4. When playing Alien Vendetta at level 30, while entering a large hall, I hear some speech. What does it say? It's quite silent but tune up your speakers, it's there all right.

5. Is the last monster in Doom2 called the Icon or the Gatekeeper (as in Final Doom)? Can the "Icon" be defeated by any other weapon than the Rocket Launcher?

6. While starting Doom2, it says something about "Crash address=unrelocated"? What da hell?

7. Has anyone ever seen the undefeatable monster in Strain?

8. In doom95, there's an option (apart from the iWAD) to only load one WAD file. What about if I want to load a WAD and a music WAD as well? In other words, is it possible to load multiple WADs in Doom95?

Thanks guys, in advance.

1. Never heard of it.

2. I think that's just a shadow.....I hope.

3. The same way you start a brand-new game: 100% health, a pistol and 50 bullets, as far as I've experienced.

4. It could be unwanted background noise.

5. It's the Icon of Sin. Like any enemy, he can be killed with anything. However, the RL is the easiest thing to hit him with, typically.

6. When exactly does it say that?

7. Never gotten Strain to work, sadly.

8. I don't think it is. Try using a good source port instead. Doom95 is harsh.

Hope that helps a little.

CacoMarine said:

4. When playing Alien Vendetta at level 30, while entering a large hall, I hear some speech. What does it say? It's quite silent but tune up your speakers, it's there all right.

you walk over a trigger that causes some monsters to be crushed and what you hear is the sound of them being crushed iirc

That "Crash address=unrelocated" comes after "Init PlayLoop state".
Would it imply that a file is corrupted or such?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

1. What is "Doom Companion" that I've heard about? Some add-on or something?
It is a help book, IIRC. don't bother.

3. How do you enter the next level if you manage to hit the exit switch at 0% health?
You start with 100 health and no weapons.

crushed monsters and/or ambient monster sounds. no voice. IIRC.

5. Is the last monster in Doom2 called the Icon or the Gatekeeper (as in Final Doom)? Can the "Icon" be defeated by any other weapon than the Rocket Launcher?
THE HORRENDOUS VISAGE OF THE BIGGEST DEMON YOU'VE EVER SEEN CRUMBLES BEFORE YOU, AFTER YOU PUMP YOUR ROCKETS INTO HIS EXPOSED BRAIN. THE MONSTER SHRIVELS UP AND DIES, ITS THRASHING LIMBS DEVASTATING UNTOLD MILES OF HELL'S SURFACE.
and no.

7. Has anyone ever seen the undefeatable monster in Strain?
I don't recall any of Strain's monsters to be invulnerable... but maybe I have forgotten.
The Baron/Mancubus thing is tough but killable.

8. In doom95, there's an option (apart from the iWAD) to only load one WAD file. What about if I want to load a WAD and a music WAD as well? In other words, is it possible to load multiple WADs in Doom95?
doom95 -file av.wad hrmus.wad

This site might help:
http://www.classicdoom.com/

Opulent said:
doom95 -file av.wad hrmus.wad

Yeah, but more accurately:

doom95 -nodm -file av.wad hrmus.wad

Else it will go to the launcher. Here's a list of commands.

Relica Religia said:
5. It's the Icon of Sin.

That's the name of Map30. We could say that refers to the Boss, but it's like saying I'm "The Everything Else mod with the 'Banned' title."

CacoMarine said:

Icon of Sin.
The level is designed so that the splash damage from the RL hurts it and ultimately defeats it.
Normally you could walk up to it and punch it repeatedly to achieve the same effect.

1. The "Doom Companion Edition" is a very old CD-ROM product that included the shareware episode of Doom, together with some old level editors, misc. other tools, a number of early demos, graphical maps of the levels, and various other stuff.

3. If you hit the exit switch at 0% health, then normally you enter the next map, as people have said, with 100% health, no armour and just the pistol and 50 bullets. However, if you were a zombie with 0% health, then you start the next level as a zombie, and unable to pick up any health (i.e. a permanent zombie). However, if a voodoo doll collects some health for you in the same gametic as you press the exit switch (heh), then *I think* you start the next level as a normal player with whatever armour, weapons and ammo you were carrying at the time, plus whatever the voodoo doll picked up for you.

5. Technically, the final boss is made up of two monsters, which can be used independently. One is the boss shooter (invisible) that fires the monsters out to spawn spots (the mapper chooses where to put these), and a boss brain (Romero head on a stick), whose death ends the level.

7. By the "undefeatable monster in Strain", I assume you mean the SS-Nazi replacement. This monster was not actually used in STRAIN, so to encounter it, you will need to use the STRAIN dehacked file and wad together with a wad that uses the Nazi (or make your own, of course). [e.g. c:\doom2\glboom -file strain.wad doom2.wad -deh strain.deh -skill 4 -warp 31 - have fun!] The monster is invisible and kills the player extremely quickly (even if he is using God mode). The idea was that it would represent a decompression - if the dome in the which the action was taking place got ruptured, the area would decompress, resulting in instant death. This was to be implemented by this small invisible and very fast monster getting in through any gap that appeared and heading straight for the player.

Grazza said:

However, if you were a zombie with 0% health, then you start the next level as a zombie, and unable to pick up any health (i.e. a permanent zombie).

This can only happen, when you type IDDQD in the same second when you die, can´t it?