Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SurfingCruz

ERROR? BFG kills me every time

Hi there,

I've only tried using the BFG 3 times. I in the conveyor tunnels, where all was well. Then as the hell knigths came out of hell (just prior to hell) which killed me instantly. Finally against the big bad end monster in hell. This also kills me instantly. The BFG is FUN, and I'm upset it does not work. Thoughts? Advice?

Much appreciated. -SC

If you hold the fire button down too long, it goes critical and blows up in your face. The longer you hold it down, the stronger the blast, ie a tap will kill a room full of lower-level enemies, where as a 1.5-2 second hold will kill a HellKnight. But as I said if you hold it too long, the BFG can't handle the power and goes kablooey.

It took me quite a while to figure out just how long I could hold down the trigger before reaching critical. That damn audio cue just doesn't give a good enough hint at when it's critical.

Now, of course, it's no problem because I've grown accustomed to it. You can see on the small ammo counter screen how close to critical it is though, which is a nice touch imo. When it turns red and especially when it reads "warning!", you know you have to let go :-P

Watched my brother play the other day - got reminded of my own BFG troubles when I saw him blow himself up repeatedly whenever using the BFG, hee hee hee.

It only took me one incident of the BFG going critical to avoid a second incident. I remember using it specifically for the dual hellknight fight before Hell and having it blow up in my face and wondering if it had something to do with the HKs somehow. Either way, it was kind of funny, since it reminded me of the utterly useless BFG in Scuba Steves: AD.

I was kinda lucky; i was building a basic map in D3edit, and while testing it decided to use 'give all' (since i wasn't technically cheating :P). There and then i figured out the twist to the BFGs charged kablooey thingy.

Heh, the words RTFM do spring to mind here. There's multiple warnings about the effect of holding the trigger down too long. Personally, I love the having to judge the timing just right if you want that perfect blast. It brings back that 'edge' that the BFG has always enjoyed compared to other weapons in other games. It really does feel alive and dangerous in your hands.

AirRaid said:

I'm just wary of any gun you can "charge" up, after the Gauss Cannon in Half-Life :P

yeah, but that thing didnt kill you either

Godshatter said:

yeah, but that thing didnt kill you either

Yes, it did. Hold the charge for about ten seconds and it gibs you.

Spike said:

If you hold the fire button down too long, it goes critical and blows up in your face.

Eh, they just ripped off Action Doom.

Use3D said:

Eh, they just ripped off Action Doom.

You stole the words out of my mouth.

And really, no offence here, but who doesn't pay attention to the charge bar on the BFG! It's on the screen in front of your face!

DD_133 said:

And really, no offence here, but who doesn't pay attention to the charge bar on the BFG! It's on the screen in front of your face!

It's not really that noticable when you're busy paying attention to the advancing and attacking monsters. I only look at the ammo counter screen of the machinegun, chaingun, plasma gun and BFG when I need to get an overview of how much ammo I have.

You just don't stare at your gun when there's a pair of big, mean, ugly brutes (the two HK's at the Portal) right in front of you and there's precious little space to move around in to dodge their über-explosive green fireballs.

I check my ammo constantly. I want to know when I'm going to have to make a hasty switch to a new weapon, specially in a heated environment like that small lab with 2 Hks coming at me.

AirRaid said:

I check my ammo constantly. I want to know when I'm going to have to make a hasty switch to a new weapon, specially in a heated environment like that small lab with 2 Hks coming at me.

I constantly check and reload every weapon thoroughly every time I just made it out of a fight (unless there are more enemies nearby).

I actually have the bad habit of reloading when I kill an enemy, even if there are other active monsters in the vicinity - even if it isn't necessary to reload yet.

dsm said:

I constantly check and reload every weapon thoroughly every time I just made it out of a fight (unless there are more enemies nearby).

I actually have the bad habit of reloading when I kill an enemy, even if there are other active monsters in the vicinity - even if it isn't necessary to reload yet.

heh me too :D

I'm like, "Ok, finished fight. Save game. Whoops, reload all weapons. Save. Hang on, i didn't reload the shotgun. There, save. Damn, the plasma rifle, reload cells, save... etc"

Spike said:

I'm like, "Ok, finished fight. Save game. Whoops, reload all weapons. Save. Hang on, i didn't reload the shotgun. There, save. Damn, the plasma rifle, reload cells, save... etc"

I rarely ever use quick save.
An old habit has made me save a game (I call it 'Doom 3' - very original :-P) everytime I get to a new level, despite the fact that it autosaves (there's a reason for this, but it's another story), but after that, I pretty much never save the game, unless there's a particularly annoying area I have to get through (scientist with lantern, some annyoing jump puzzle, etc.).

But it's carefully practiced routine of mine to often run a careful check of my ammo status and reload everything if necessary - probably a habit from my time in the Armed Forces.

Spike said:

Pfft, reloading weapons, how unDoom.

Just look at the weapon animation duuh
shot before it turns red :P

dsm said:

It took me quite a while to figure out just how long I could hold down the trigger before reaching critical. That damn audio cue just doesn't give a good enough hint at when it's critical.

Now, of course, it's no problem because I've grown accustomed to it. You can see on the small ammo counter screen how close to critical it is though, which is a nice touch imo. When it turns red and especially when it reads "warning!", you know you have to let go :-P

Watched my brother play the other day - got reminded of my own BFG troubles when I saw him blow himself up repeatedly whenever using the BFG, hee hee hee.