Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azriel

Seamless textures

I'm not sure if this question fits here, but I have a question about textures. I want to make new Hi-res textures and I'm looking for a program that can make textures seamless like the original doom textures.

I know this can be done manually but I was wondering if such a graphic program exists.

There is no program like that, at least AFAIK.
There are 2 known methods to make hi-res versions of Doom textures.
1.Go into any ordinary program, scale them and apply some filters-this saves a lot of work but the results are often shitty.
2.Recreate the texture based on Your skills and use the original Doom texture as a reference-this method gives MUCH better results, tough You do need graphic program skills and it takes loads of time too, but IMO, the result is worth it.

That utility doesn't make the old Doom textures hi-res. It just ensures they tile and makes them seamless.

Nmn said:

That utility doesn't make the old Doom textures hi-res. It just ensures they tile and makes them seamless.

Well, Azriel didn't ask for a program that makes the old Doom textures hi-res...

Right, my bad. :(
But even so, this utility is rather bad for the job.
From what I understand You want Your hi-res texes to tile vertically and horizontally? This program makes them seamless, but look at the example of the logo on their webpage. Your textures will come out quite deformed, unless You want them so. Good for rocks/water/effects/ground/grass/clouds.
Bad for everything else.

Thanks for your help guys. I have some experience in creating textures, just needed a program which can make them seamless. I'll try the utility as soon as I can.

Wow! That's a cool looking free program Boris. I have been doing this manually with much effort using paint. Many thanks! :)

The manual way would work also for hi-res: If the texture is 320x320, for example, open it in Paint so it is 640x640 and paste in 4 copies of the original. Then work with it until the above/below and side to side images all look decent together. Reduce it back to 320x320 and it should be fine. It is manual, but also virtually free (except for your time).