Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jehar

I wish to hire someone for a BIG monster.

For a MAJOR project, I require a HUGE (read: really really really tall) cthulu-sized sprite(s).

Thing is, I am not so experienced with any sprite work, and my 2d graphics skills suck.
The project involves the creature (big big lovecraftian god arising from the Deep) erupting from the ground to tower over the player, who then has to lure it into the center of five skyscrapers in a pentagon, then activating nodes on top of each of them to entrap it (keeping in mind that all of the stories of the skyscrapers are accessable. very big place indeed.).

If anybody who is familier with the works of HP Lovecraft and his style of creatures, and interesed in making a BIG sprite please contact me at jehar42@sbcglobal.net or post here.
Full credit for work will be given to the artist and\or actor maker.

I don't think you can make a monster taller than 128 pixels. A 'huge' sprite won't get any taller than the cyberdemon.

Zdoom can accept sprites of enormous sizes. Also there are ways to fake huge monsters. Just take a look at the Ghostbusters Doom (unfinished) wad.

I'm not sure what are you looking for, but I in EBDOOM there are some cool sprites that if modified a bit can turn into massive end bosses. Also I have done some bosses sprites but I think that they are not what you want.

But is there anything already done of this HUGE project? If so, as many I'd be interesed in see some screenshots or something. If you are just starting, believe me that it's not a good idea to begin with stuff from the last parts of your project (specially the end boss).

m0l0t0v said:

I don't think you can make a monster taller than 128 pixels. A 'huge' sprite won't get any taller than the cyberdemon.

the max height of any graphic in doom2.exe is 509 pixels (or thereabouts), though wintex refuses to accept anything over 256 (because wintex sucks).

Vegeta said:

I'm not sure what are you looking for, but I in EBDOOM there are some cool sprites that if modified a bit can turn into massive end bosses. Also I have done some bosses sprites but I think that they are not what you want.

But is there anything already done of this HUGE project? If so, as many I'd be interesed in see some screenshots or something. If you are just starting, believe me that it's not a good idea to begin with stuff from the last parts of your project (specially the end boss).

In fact I have been working on this for about a year, and have a page and screenies on WIP. Read my damn post.

NiGHTMARE said:

Uhm, there's no mention of either screenshots or WIP in your post.

feels REAALLLY embarresed...

sorry about that. I was thinking about the other post in wads and projects. I apologize. anyways. I DO have a page on WIP (thats really needs to be updated) and quite a load done. Just the last part requires this monstrosity and a load of scripting.

again, i apologize. i am an idiot.

thanks! ill email him and see how it goes.

A giant sprite would look like shit. If you make a sprite really big it starts looking worse and worse when you try to do stuff with it.

Linguica said:

A giant sprite would look like shit. If you make a sprite really big it starts looking worse and worse when you try to do stuff with it.

I agree. Remember the capital ships from Wing Commander I/II? UGH

hrm. good point, but i am planning it so the player will never be able to come so close to it for it to get all crappy.

A giant monster not necesary would look bad, look at the massive cyberdemon of Cyberdemon Army map 20 (no, that's not the name, but for some reason I can't remember it right now).

actually, i think i could make a very detailed giant sprite. its an artists rule, the bigger the working area, the more detailed and realistic you can make the image appear, in any medium.

It's not a question of the art looking worse, it's the problems with the viewing angles. Even the Spider Mastermind looks pretty bad when you rotate around it. Adding 16 angles would be better, but it won't help the vertical problems.

Keeping the monster at a distance sounds like a much better idea. You could shroud the monster in darkness and have flashing lightning so you only see brief glimpses of it to make the scene even more Lovecraftian :)

david_a said:

You could shroud the monster in darkness and have flashing lightning so you only see brief glimpses of it to make the scene even more Lovecraftian :)

ooh.... i like that