Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jehar

wintex in XP? or just problems?

Alright, I am beginning to suspect that wintex does not work correctly under Winblows XP... I try to merge two wads together and I get the following Error: Yadda Yadda Yadda is not a command.

Do any of you have similar problems with wintex? or am I just stupid\idiot\baka\loser\eternalloserofnothingness??

If it IS a wintex problem, could someone point me to an alternate wad merger?

Wintex is the best, easiest editor around. Sucks that I can't get it running under XP

XWE-newbie's choice? Just because it's comfortable and simple it's a newbie's choice? heh, I disagree.
I've been using it for a months and am I a newbie?

Jehar said:

deepsea is working for me just fine.

yes for graphics, but you can't edit add or delete files as easy with it. That is where XWE is the best.

MagnuM said:

yes for graphics, but you can't edit add or delete files as easy with it. That is where XWE is the best.

.. depends on if you are left brained or right brained :)

The issue is always how much time one has spent with any of the PWAD management tools. Heck some still say Wintex is the best even though it struggles with the simplest of the the things required with the new ports and some it can't do no matter what.

XWE is a bit easier if you have a few things to move via dragging (I'll add that someday, but a 1 second difference makes it a low priority). However, for the rest, DS adds and deletes files/lumps as easy and as fast as XWE. Mainly because of dedicated tools for this purpose. The preview of files/lumps in either file or PWAD browsing means you see what it is before you actually commit.

The (optional) automatic duplicate lump check, keeps crap out of PWAD (you won't believe how often that happens), automatic TEXTUREx and PNAMES merging, automatic PWAD "clean" no matter what. General execution speed is faster on a large import, uses less memory (esp graphics), but that's only important if you are messing around with a lot of stuff since that's the only time the difference is noticable.

Deleting and rerarranging (2 different but related ways to do things) can be done via either the merging tool or rearranging tool. The latter is dedicated towards just the getting rid of stuff or just changing the order. A file is NEVER changed until you are satisfied that the results you see is what you want - this become obvious when a lot of data manipulation is performed.

For the average user, if they learn the ropes of any of the programs, it makes litte difference which one they use. Until they run into something that can't be done!

I'm not biased :-D

sargebaldy said:

Well of course not, who would ever dare accuse you of such a thing??!

:-D == laughing

sargebaldy said:

I use 4.3 and it works just fine under XP, though i've heard others say it doesn't for them, so I don't know.

I use 4.3 with XP too, seems to work dandy-fine. Though maybe it is just something else.

Jehar said:

Alright, I am beginning to suspect that wintex does not work correctly under Winblows XP... I try to merge two wads together and I get the following Error: Yadda Yadda Yadda is not a command.

Do any of you have similar problems with wintex? or am I just stupid\idiot\baka\loser\eternalloserofnothingness??

If it IS a wintex problem, could someone point me to an alternate wad merger?

This is because it still uses DEUSF.EXE to do WAD merging. Retarded, I know, not much you can do about it.

16bit WIndows Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. THe systme file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MIcrosoft Windows applications.

999cop said:

16bit WIndows Subsystem
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. THe systme file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MIcrosoft Windows applications.

I've already answered this issue in this thread:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=28734

Applies to ANY 16-bit windows program that gets that message. The problem is NOT with the program but with the file mentioned. Just rename it and see what happens. The file is a copy of your old system when you upgraded. Just open in a text editor and it may make sense if you've ever messed with the startup files.