Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MaximusNukeage

Presidents

There have also been at least four non-Christians, though the Christians don't want you to know that. OMG, America the Theocracy!

fodders said:

James Buchanan - Fifteenth President of the United States

I've heard rumors that he might have been gay. Then again, I heard the same sort of rumors about Lincoln. However, if that is the case with Mr. Buchanan, he was the first gay president!

On May 13 1844, Buchanan wrote to a Mrs. Roosevelt about his social life:

I am now "solitary and alone," having no companion in the house with me. I have gone a wooing to several gentlemen, but have not succeeded with any one of them. I feel that it is not good for man to be alone; and should not be astonished to find myself married to some old maid who can nurse me when I am sick, provide good dinners for me when I am well, and not expect from me any very ardent or romantic affection.
Sounds like a big gay bear to me. :P

heh, i have heard similar reports about lincoln too.
i think i akse dmy dad a similar question. by the way which presidents were "non-christian"?

also which president had the most wives?

Sephiroth said:

. by the way which presidents were "non-christian"?

George Washington springs to mind. He wasn't a Christian. The 1st 6 Presidents were not regarded as Christians I think.

fodders said:

George Washington springs to mind. He wasn't a Christian. The 1st 6 Presidents were not regarded as Christians I think.

Yeah, thats pretty much right.

Washington was a Freemason and a Deist.

Jefferson was a Deist who was very against organised religion. Though Madison actualy wrote the Constitution, Jefferson was the one who made most of it up, and it was his idea that there should be a seperation of church and state (which was agreed upon by a lot of the forefathers).

The first Adams was a Unitarian, I believe.

Madison was either a Deist or a Unitarian, can't remember which.

In addition, Ben Franklin was also Deist, and church atendance back in the days of the revolution (the actualy number I read came from the year 1800 I think) was less than 10%.

So yeah, all thse fundies who claim that our county was founded by Christians and on Christian beliefs are blowing smoke up your ass.

Danarchy said:

There have also been at least four non-Christians, though the Christians don't want you to know that. OMG, America the Theocracy!

What is it with you and talking trash about Christians?...

http://www.adherents.com/adh_presidents.html

Washington was Episcopalian which is a branch of Angelicism which is a branch of the Church of England.

Lincoln, Andrew Johnson and Jefferson actually had no specific religion (though as noted Jefferson was raised Episcopalian and Lincoln was raised Baptist).

I read something about Buchanan sort of giving up on women when he was engaged to this chick who ran off and killed herself.

Silent: I didn't mean Christians in general, I meant those Christians who try to say America is a Christian country. Stop taking everything as an attack.

Cyb said:

Washington was Episcopalian which is a branch of Angelicism which is a branch of the Church of England.

From Wikipedia:

George Washington was one of the few early American Presidents who was not a total follower of any one specific Christian denomination. He professed a strong belief in God, but did not necessarily believe that God intervened in the world through supernatural miracles. His informal religious beliefs were sometimes described as Deism; although he attended, and served as a vestryman (lay officer) of, the Episcopal Church – of which his wife was a devout member.

I read a quote by him the other day that very much showed his disfavor of organised religion, but I can't seem to find it again.

Also note that he was a member of the Freemasons, who are in league with the Devil.

Cyb said:

http://www.adherents.com/adh_presidents.html

Lincoln, Andrew Johnson and Jefferson actually had no specific religion (though as noted Jefferson was raised Episcopalian and Lincoln was raised Baptist).

http://monotheism.us/
Rev. Dr. Abercrombie: “On sacramental Sundays, Gen. Washington, immediately after the desk and pulpit services, went out with the greater part of the Congregation.”
Rev. Dr. Wilson: “After that [Dr. Abercrombie’s reproof], upon communion days, he absented himself altogether from the church.”
Rev. Dr. Beverly Tucker: “The General was accustomed, on communion Sundays, to leave the church with her [Nelly Custis], sending the carriage back for Mrs. Washington.”
Rev. Dr. Bird Wilson: “He never was a communicant in them [Dr. White’s churches].”
Rev. William Jackson: “I find no one who ever communed with him.”
Rev. E.D. Neill: “The President was not a communicant.”
Rev. Jared Sparks: “This [his refusal to commune] may be admitted and regretted.”
Gen. A.W. Greely: “There is no reliable evidence that he ever took communion.”
St. Louis Globe: “There is nothing to show that he was ever a member of the church.”
Washington himself (as quoted by Dr. Abercrombie): “I have never been a communicant.”

heh, chick.com what a great site. feeling down and want to laught at humanity? then take a gander. even better was their article on doom, the classic versions. can't find the doom article though.
it would be a different world if we had a king or if each state was a contry.