Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SYS

What do you do when get stuck/stressed/agitated while making a map?

I've got level editors block right now. What do folks do to deal with this? I usually end up starting on something else and going back to it later, but I'd really like to finish this level up as I'm really happy with the way it looks so far.

Cry and come back to it after a while. I think about what I could do to it a lot too. I have this problem with a map I'm making.

Also, having someone play the map so far works. Feedback helps.

I always seem to make one room of a map and then move on to a new one. However, if I'm well along on a level but stuck I'll stick one of these rooms in. It really helps to get you back on your rythym.

Try playing and listening to your favorite music. Great art always moves and works best together.

Listening to the music you plan to put in the level, or music of the same style, can definitely help. Also, you can play other games to get inspiration sometimes... sometimes your mapping style can change signifigantly based on what games you've been playing recently. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago...

Try leaving it for some time. You have to take a breather. The hard part is to come back to it, that is when You need self-motivation.

I suppose I'll leave it alone for now. I could modify it and make it shorter, but I don't like that idea. I'm gonna leave it alone for now. Chances are, it'll just come to me one day. I hate it when this happens, I have four other maps that I have to fix because of this, thanks for the ideas folks.

I try to google up some pics of interesting architecture. Not doom architecture necessarily, but random shit. Anything looks interesting, I try to reinvision how it may look, and function in doom in terms of structure, the engine's ability to render it, and general use in the "world" of UAC.
If you are handy with bmp images, custom textures can easily get your mind pumping up direction for maps in progress, or what follows the grand map you just completed.
One more thing, I also find that mapping runs smoother when focusing on color schemes in conjunction with theme or setting.

whenever im stuck in making a map, i do exactly what you do Potgeis, I try to find out what the hell i should do to make myself finish it. I always do this. But somehow, I dont know how, i get around to finishing it. It really puzzles me HOW in hell i go around to finishing it, but it happens. i usually suspect divine intervention.

I try different stuff to make me go back to it, drink coffee, listen to music, look at other peoples' maps, go for a walk, play DM. It can take anywhere between 1 hour and 2 months before I manage to keep the editor open long enough to build something nice that gets me back into it.

I've still got a four year old map at ~95% complete, and some more odds and sodds hanging about.

Still awaiting inspiration....

i think that if u work on your level when you are ispired is better, so u really want to work and work well, don't try to finish it too early, or it wont't be good :)

You could add one more sector outside the map but not too far and add a megasphere where you want to end the level so when you get the megasphere the sector you added the ceiling crushes and destroys the john romereos head and so it looks like the place is self destructing if it is a building or have it behind a demon spawner wall with the demon spawner optional or make something that looks like an escape pod or something.

doom2day said:

You could add one more sector outside the map but not too far and add a megasphere where you want to end the level so when you get the megasphere the sector you added the ceiling crushes and destroys the john romereos head and so it looks like the place is self destructing if it is a building or have it behind a demon spawner wall with the demon spawner optional or make something that looks like an escape pod or something.

That's the most awesomely awesome idea ever.

Set yourself a /newstuff deadline and work like a demon non-stop till your eyes fall out of your skull.

Worked for me and HOC 1/2/3. :P

I always start making a wad and it endes up with that i hate the story architecture and things placment, but a like editing A hella lot

I've got over 35 unfinished WADS...