Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chronoteeth

First ever weapon mod?

Well, one could argue that the Suprwep patch that came with DeHackEd was a weapon mod - but I don't consider it one, I just think of it as a DeHackEd patch. I believe Blaster was the first true weapons mod, with graphics...it's pretty outdated, though.

I haven't even tried playing this mod, as I don't have my old Doom(2).exe lying around anymore. If I could play it, then I'd review it at the Armory - but as it stands, if anybody wants to give it an honest review, go right on ahead.

hey, pilottobombadier i remember your mod lock n load. it was a best weapons hack for edge 1.24. you still updating the mod? got another question. what was the first edge weapons mod ever?

The first EDGE weapon mod was probably Immoral Conduct, and its still the best one today. In fact they where virtually developed together (though by different people), so some of the features in the engine are actually there because ICD needed them to look good (probably)

I think the second best thing about ICD-SE(the best is the weapons) is the balance. Cory Whittle managed to make all the guns and items accesible in normal doom, so you can load up your favorite maps and play ICD-SE on those, yet you always still get enough health, ammo, etc., even using only what the doom items and weapons have to offer. Quite hard to do well.

l33t_bomber said:

hey, pilottobombadier i remember your mod lock n load. it was a best weapons hack for edge 1.24. you still updating the mod? got another question. what was the first edge weapons mod ever?

Look in the top "Took a damned long time but...". There's a link to version 4 (not final!) on the first page.

I though Immoral conduct was cool because it's very well done. Only thing I don't like about it is its anachronistic arsenal. However, yeah, with an arsenal of 20 weapons, ammo and item management is a bitch. I'm just running through my latest version of Lock and Load, and I don't know yet If I've achieved it. But then again, I'm doing a run-through of the whole classic Doom series, and Lock and Load has weapons that aren't accessible in Doom 1 by any means other than cheating (the minigun is not one of these - which, if anyone has examined the code in the things and attacks ddfs, should assuage many fears).

And actually, I thought the first EDGE weapon mod was Covert Ops. Well, TC as well, but the code is easily carried over :p