Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MagnuM

Sounds of Hell??!

Many religions consider our lives Hell. Literally. Can't say I don't see the logic behind that.

geekmarine said:

Yes I know Hell is in the Bible. I was merely alluding to the fact that it's so vaguely referenced to that there's no point in making a big hubub about it.

S1lent said:

Actually there are many refrences that describe it enough...

-It's a lake of fire
-It gives no light

WHAT?

Heh, people focus on hell too much. Haven't you realized people would rather talk about hell than God? I prefer to focus on the love and the good in life. Oh yeah, and the Bible says you cannot judge others, so it's fun and games for the preachers going around saying "You're going to hell!" but of course what their doing is comparing themselves to God, in the ability to judge, which I believe is a very big sin according to many writings.

Disorder said:

WHAT?

Yes, that is what I said. Hell is said to be a place of darkness. A place of sin and a place where Satan, his demons, and the wicked reside. Hell is ultimate collection of sin and darkness. Therefore, it would not give light. Light is often referred to as something that comes from God. i.e. - Jesus was called "The Light of the world."

Sin = dark
Ultimate and complete collection of nothing BUT sin = no light.

Not trying to be offensive, just answering your question.

insertwackynamehere said:

Heh, people focus on hell too much. Haven't you realized people would rather talk about hell than God? I prefer to focus on the love and the good in life. Oh yeah, and the Bible says you cannot judge others, so it's fun and games for the preachers going around saying "You're going to hell!" but of course what their doing is comparing themselves to God, in the ability to judge, which I believe is a very big sin according to many writings.

Hell is more fascinating and fun to talk about - simple as that. Besides, I find it out-of-place to talk about love in an internet forum where it doesn't take any much else but a spark to have people verbally insult eachother.

gatewatcher said:

Apparently fire doesn't give off light anymore.

I was thinking that. Funny how the lake of fire is ripped straight from Greek mythology (River Phlegethon).

Yeah, a lot of modern christian beliefs were taken from Greek, Celtic, Germanic, and Norse myths. The image of God as a bearded man who throws lightning is almost identical to that of Zeus or Thor. The image of Jesus as a long-haired, good looking European is analogous with many Celtic and Germanic heroes. The story of Jesus bears resemblance to the story of Hercules. The horned devil bears much resemblance to the god Pan. Christmas (minus Christ), is basicaly the same as the Roman holiday Festivus combined with the Pagan observance of Winter Solstice. Mistletoe was a symbol of the Druidic religion, and holly and fir were both used in rituals for the Winter Solstice. I'm pretty sure Easter was lifted from some Pagan holiday too, though I can't remember what.

In short, the early Christians gained many converts by incorporating observances and figures familiar to the Europeans, and at some points (such as in the case of Satan/Pan) demonised the old religions.

gatewatcher said:

Well science has fickle laws according to the fundies. Thy're the onces who believe Jesus carved the Grand Canyon and dinosaur fossils are a hoax.

gatewatcher said:

gatewatcher.. I JUST explained it in the post above yours...

Spike, it's not a river... it's a lake.

Danarchy, who said that Dinosaur fossils are a hoax? I certainly didn't...

S1lent said:

You hear that Dan, dinosaurs are not a hoax, ARE NOT a hoax. S1lent does know it all!

Heh, the Bible actually mentions lizard people who lived before humans but were wiped out because of thier sins. There's only one sentence about it.

Dan: Noah's Ark is similar to a greek myth about Prometheus's son.

Heh, the Bible actually mentions lizard people who lived before humans but were wiped out because of thier sins. There's only one sentence about it.

verse plz

S1lent said:

I wasn't aiming that at you. That was a blanket statement.

I call BS on that one. The Bible says a lot of things, but in all the times I've read it I've never seen that.

Dan: Noah's Ark is similar to a greek myth about Prometheus's son.

Yes, but it's even more similar to the Epic of Gilgamesh, which is about as old as civilization itself. It's probably the oldest fiction in existance.

S1lent said:

Spike, it's not a river... it's a lake.

Don't be nitpicky; it's still filled with sodding fire.

Dont 'certian' people belive that "The lizard men" live secretly amongst us and want to take over the world?, they had to get that from somewhere! (other than LSD)

Ah well, my new theory is that the bible is an ancient wordsearch created by time-travelling pranksters, who hid loads of clues about history in it (the bible code, which is basically if you read it downwards you get things like 'hitler' and 'world conflict' nearby each other)

Wow, this topic has depth and it didn't have it before.

Religion is what seperates us, creates wars and deaths....Bush is not a christian he looks like that in his public speeches. I blame the person who sends transimissions to him for his speeches.

That was off topic wasn't it?

Very.

People hardly talk about God because it is hell they fear. They don't sign up because God is loving, they sign up because they fear Hell. Like that gangster (do not know name) who changed his murderous ways after reading the bible, it wasn't Jesu that won his heart it was the concept of Hell.

Here's my view point: Fundamentalists whether Christian, Muslem, or Jew, tend to be really selfish bastards. They'll let the world go to hell while they make sure they praise god and kiss his ass. They'll fucking kill their own children if they think god wants them to for fear of they themselves going to hell. As long as they kiss god's ass and do what they believe will get them into heaven/paradise, it's all good.

deathbringer said:

Dont 'certian' people belive that "The lizard men" live secretly amongst us and want to take over the world?, they had to get that from somewhere! (other than LSD)

Are you talking about stuff like this?

I don't think anything they believe in is based on what we would call "facts." They could probably read Little Red Riding Hood and find a dozen statements that prove the Illuminati is secretly producing mind-controlling hair brushes.

The only thing that always bothered me about the concept of Hell is...if you have no body, how do you feel pain? Sure, you could argue Satan or whoever it is could manipulate your soul energy so it seems like you're feeling pain, but not only does that seem very farfetched but you would still not be feeling actual pain, so by using reason, logic or sheer will power you could resist.

david_a said:

Are you talking about stuff like this?

I don't think anything they believe in is based on what we would call "facts." They could probably read Little Red Riding Hood and find a dozen statements that prove the Illuminati is secretly producing mind-controlling hair brushes.

Oh shit! We have reptilians AND aliens threatening us! Oh Nos!!! Are hair combs safe to use?

Snarboo said:

The only thing that always bothered me about the concept of Hell is...if you have no body, how do you feel pain? Sure, you could argue Satan or whoever it is could manipulate your soul energy so it seems like you're feeling pain, but not only does that seem very farfetched but you would still not be feeling actual pain, so by using reason, logic or sheer will power you could resist.

Satan would be burning along with you, God is doing the roasting.

I think that your soul and fire are different forms of energy, possibly opposites, like in RPGs (thunder vs. water etc.) It would be like firing a firework into a snowman. There is also materialism which says you are replicated or cloned by God in your afterlife, or something like that.

There is also some arguement as to whether you actually burn in hell or you are 'without God.' "For when you are without God your thirst and hunger can never be quenched" or something like that.

Janderson said:

I think that your soul and fire are different forms of energy, possibly opposites, like in RPGs (thunder vs. water etc.)

Charisoul! I choose you!

Janderson said:

"For when you are without God your thirst and hunger can never be quenched" or something like that.

In fear I quiver.