• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dsm

References to other Id games

...Aside from classic Doom.

Ok, here's what I've found so far in regards to characters:

* The unarmoured marines (especially when undead) sorta look like the grunts from Quake 1, but without a helmet. Hint: take a look at their sleeves. Noticed the similarity only yesterday.

* The Commandos' helmets sorta look like Rangers (the Quake 1 dude), except that they're metallic and grey (instead of brown and cheramical or whatever sort of material Ranger's helmet was supposed to be).

* Sarge and the NPC marines look like marines from Quake 2 (especially when not wearing a helmet).

* Cambell reminds me a lot of Q3A Sarge, but with Quake 2 armour and without scars or a cigar.

* The Doomguy, aside from looking like the old Doomguy (but with different hair), actually looks a bit like BJ Blazcowicz (both classic and the one from RtCW) - he has a small cleft in his chin, which also appears a bit more square-jawed than the classic doomguy's, his hair is brushed back and I generally felt that if his eyes were blue instead of green and his hair brighter with a reddish tint, he'd be a damn good BJ representation.

*Sabaoth (the Evil Sarge boss) looks a lot like the Super Tank Warlord boss thingy in Quake 2. Some more armour and he'd be spot on. He's a definite Quake 2 reference.
Then there is the environment-based stuff:
    * What I've noticed the most is the brown areas. A lot of those remind me of Quake 1's base areas, but they look less low-tech and "wooden" (namely because the brown is more in the direction of an orange colour).

* A few areas remind me a lot of Quake 2 - less orange and more grey, but the textures are still quite Quake 2'ish. Particularly in the Waste Processing Facility maps, I found that it reminded me one Hell of a lot of the Waste management areas of Quake 2.

* The moving Martian "clouds" sky instantly makes me think of Quake 1's scrolling skies.

* And of course, a lot of the "organic growth" elements are like taken out of Q3A's Hell Arenas.
And then of course, there are some of the various easter eggs already mentioned in other threads, so I won't talk about them here.

Have you found something I missed (and which you think haven't been mentioned before)?

I wouldn't really say these were references; id have made lots of futuristic first person shooters, I would be surprised if they weren't similar in several respects.

I actually think that Q3A's 'growths' were, in turn, borrowed from Doom and revamped. Plenty of Baphomet's floating around in Q3A so why not, eh? :)

zarkyb said:

I wouldn't really say these were references; id have made lots of futuristic first person shooters, I would be surprised if they weren't similar in several respects.

The characters in Doom 3 are a little too remniscent of characters from other Id games to not be some kind of a reference if you ask me.

With the exception of Quake 3 Arena, none of the other Id games have any characters in common with the others. Quake 1 grunts don't look like anything before Quake 1 or like anything in Quake 2, Quake 2 Marines have but a very scant remniscence of the Doom marines and only in their boots and armour.

Here we're talking about characters that for the most part could be reinterpretations of the older games' characters - I don't think it's just a coincidence that Sarge looks like a more detailed Quake 2 'Grunt' marine, nor is it just a reused model/skin. Id could've made all the NPC marines look like the doomguy, but with different haircuts, but they went and gave them a completely different armour type - not something they just did for the heck of it.

You *may* be right about the textures and stuff - Quake 2 did have a couple of textures similar to Quake 1's - but I've seen entire areas in Doom 3 that look "stolen" out of Quake games and I don't think it's coincidental either.

So quit being such a bunch of spoilsports and join in on the fun ;-)

I actually think that Q3A's 'growths' were, in turn, borrowed from Doom and revamped. Plenty of Baphomet's floating around in Q3A so why not, eh? :)

Damn straight, especially Quake 2 and Q3A has a lot of reused Doom stuff/references to Doom. I did find, however, that some of the Hell stuff in Q3A hadn't been used before (like the mouth in ceiling - haven't spotted that in Doom 3 so far either).

There's something similar in Site3 - where the lights go out and the mass of candles appear + arch vile, there's a massive mouth-like protuberance in the ceiling. All it's missing is teeth.

Vague ideas from the top of my head:

The vagary is a little similar to the vore from quake 1 in terms of form, but otherwise they're a lot different in terms of their faces, movement (Vore is 3-legged) and their attacks.

The hellknight kinda reminds me of the shambler from quake 1 too, in the way that their faces are all teeth and no eyes (though the hellknight seems to have eye sockets).

Listen to the sounds:

• picking a health sounds like Q2
  • picking the card in the contaminated room (where you must dump two of them) sounds like Doom
  • picking plasma cells sounds like Q2

Spike said:

There's something similar in Site3 - where the lights go out and the mass of candles appear + arch vile, there's a massive mouth-like protuberance in the ceiling. All it's missing is teeth.

Yeah, now that you mention it - it does remind me a bit of the mouth in question. But I was distracted by the fact that it reminded me of something far more evil that it's even a bannable offense to link to on this board ;-)

Spike said:

Oh, you mean a lady's special holio
    :P

Nope - that's not Evil now is it (though it IS a bannable offense here!)?
    :-P

dsm said:

I was distracted by the fact that it reminded me of something far more evil that it's even a bannable offense to link to on this board ;-)

Dude...maybe iD secretly wanted us to crawl into the Goatse man's anus and blast demons in his colon.

Hell, half of those textures are named "Anustube******", which is pretty much exactly what some parts that use those textures look like.

Heh. Hell's anus. First thing that came to mind while crawling through the flesh tube in Site 3(?).