Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoomDan

Gamespot Gives Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas a 9.6

The story requires you to dabble in the game's dating system, which sets you up with specific women at different points in the game, but there are plenty of other girls you can take out, if you have the look and style they're searching for. Dates are usually pretty simple: You pick up the girl, and usually she wants to eat. It's up to you to drive her someplace. If she's thinking lobster, but you're thinking Burger Shot, the date's not going to go particularly well, but there are a variety of nice places to go. You don't usually take any control during the date other than driving her to the location and back to her house, but if she wants to go dancing, the game launches into a simple Dance Dance Revolution-like timing minigame.

fucking lame

You could probably just shoot the girl while you're on the date and take her money. I wouldn't hold it against R* to let you do something like that.

Doom3, Half Life 2, San Andreas...

Do any reviewers feel the need to be objective anymore? I mean it is like their jobs and all.

Scuba Steve said:

I mean it is like their jobs and all.

A payed reviewer's job was never to be objective. No, rather they are supposed to be payed a pretty decent sum for exclusive content, so as long as they give a gushing review while sucking up at the same time to Company X.

I would. It said required, as in you can't circumvent it. That and eating and excercising as another integral part of the game? (as in no health pickups, you have to eat) really, wtf? Oh, let's not forget clothes shopping too.

This isn't (shouldn't be) Sims 2. I'm surprised there isn't a mood meter and diamond thingie above his head.

OPS! forgat to ride teh excercise bicycle at teh gym...now i'm all fat adn large. Now I'm too depressed to do any missions or jack cars because the peds make fun of me.

Still, I know I'll buy the god damn thing, just like I bought fucking vice city...

DoomDan said:

Ive heard there is also a[somewhat]2 player mode.

yeah...uh...did you actually read the review you linked to? it's in there

I don't trust GameSpot/IGN/PCGamer or any of the major game review sites/magazines anymore. They never seem to give bad reviews unless its a game from some 3rd party company and I suspect they're taking pay from a lot of the major game companies. I wouldn't trust an IGN review of the latest Atari game more than I'd trust Nintendo Power's review of the latest Mario game.

RADIO X: The Alternative
Format: Modern Rock
DJ: Sage voiced by Jodie Shawback

1. Helmet “Unsung”
Written by Paige Hamilton
Courtesy of Interscope Records

2. Depeche Mode “Personal Jesus”
Written by Martin Lee Gore
Courtesy of Warner Bros Records

3. Faith No More “Midlife Crisis”
Written by Michael Andrew Bordin, Roddy Christopher Bottum, Bill David Gould, James Martin Glanco, & Michael Allen Patton
Courtesy of Warner Bros Records

4. Danzig “Mother”
Written By Glenne Danzig
Courtesy of Def American Records

5. Living Colour “Cult of Personality”
Written by William Calhoun, Corey Glover, & Vernon Reid
Courtesy of Epic Records

6. Primal Scream “Movin On Up”
Written by Bobby Gillespie, Andrew Innes, & Robert Young Clearie
Courtesy of Warner Bros Records & Sony (UK)

7.Guns N’ Roses “Welcome to the Jungle”
Written by Steven Adler, Saul Hudson, W. Axl Rose, Izzy Stradlin, & Duff McKagan
Courtesy of Geffen Records

8. L7 “Pretend We’re Dead”
Written by Donita Sparks
Courtesy of Slash Records

9. Ozzy Osbourne “Hellraiser”
Written by John Osbourne & Zachary Phillip Wylde
Courtesy of Epic Records

10. Soundgarden “Rusty Cage”
Written by Chris Cornell
Courtesy of A&M Records

11. Rage Against The Machine “Killing In The Name”
Written by Timothy Commerford, Zack M. DeLaRocha, Thomas Morello, & Brad J. Wilk
Courtesy of Epic Records

12. Jane’s Addiction “Been Caught Stealing”
Written by Eric Avery, Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro, & Stephen Perkins
Courtesy of Warner Bros Music

13. The Stone Roses “Fools Gold’
Written by Ian George Brown & JH Squire
Courtesy of Jive Records

14. Alice In Chains “Them Bones”
Written by Mizz Skillings & Jerry Fulton Cantrell Jr.
Courtesy of Columbia Records

15. Stone Temple Pilots “Plush”
Written by Dean DeLeo, Robert Emile DeLeo, Eric Ketz & Scott Richard Weiland
Courtesy of Atlantic Recording Corp

Not a bad selection. Not great, but not bad.
It'll be great jamming out to "Cult of Personality" and "Them Bones", I can see.

i remember some game mag i bought that gave postal 2 a 0.0, but on their next page it was the 3 highest selling game for PC. it stayed on the top five list for 3 months.

not saying the game is the best. it was fun and addictive at the time. infact it is one of the games i still get out and play.

Sephiroth said:

i remember some game mag i bought that gave postal 2 a 0.0, but on their next page it was the 3 highest selling game for PC. it stayed on the top five list for 3 months.

I've seen so many magazines slam Postal 2. That's kind of ironic considering that the game was similar to GTA in ways, it was just bloodier and arguably "tastless". It was also the sequal to what some called the most controversial game ever. Then again, these were probably the same magazines that gave Manhunt a great score. I guess most magazines wanted to look PC in fear of backlash, because I guess it's a crime to enjoy "tasteless", controversial games or something. I sure know I enjoyed Postal 2 a lot more than what some magazines think are the "best" games.

Danarchy said:

They never seem to give bad reviews unless its a game from some 3rd party company and I suspect they're taking pay from a lot of the major game companies.

that reminds me of one of the few completely bad reviews that gamespot gave. it was for some Crazy Taxi ripoff where you drove an ambulance. the game sounded really lol, and thats the only time a gamespot review made me actually want to play a game. i usually just read their reviews on games i already know id like...i leave decision making to customer reviews from amazon.com. i usually don't have to sift through many THIS GAME SUCKS SO BAD and DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY reviews before finding some actual reviews.

zombieribcage said:

that reminds me of one of the few completely bad reviews that gamespot gave. it was for some Crazy Taxi ripoff where you drove an ambulance. the game sounded really lol, and thats the only time a gamespot review made me actually want to play a game. i usually just read their reviews on games i already know id like...i leave decision making to customer reviews from amazon.com. i usually don't have to sift through many THIS GAME SUCKS SO BAD and DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY reviews before finding some actual reviews.

Is it this game???
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/driving/ambulancedriver/index.html?q=ambulance+driver

Well, I bought it yesterday on my lunch break. Best buy had like 30 copies just sitting there...and the store was pretty baren. Screw pre-order bs. Never done it, never needed to.

So far, I'm NOT liking the new control setup. I am anti-analog. And the fucking d-pad is now used for some shitty new "reply to pedestrian" feature (exactly like it was in kingpin) that doesn't seem to work. However, being able to lock on during melee is an excelent addition.

And because of that...thing I am really enjoying stabbing people. The attack animations are really good, so when you get someone down on the ground with the knife, and keep attacking, CJ will sit there knelt over the body and continue stabbing the poor sucker.

Oh yeah, and the potential for gigantic pile-ups on the freeway is just delicious

Liam said:

i swear to always make thoughtful posts that contribute to the discussion at hand.

I still think the GTA series is quite convoluted and that the point of the game was never obvious and that GTA should be banned for being such a stupid pointless game.

I'm still having fun with GTA3, but I'll be playing this one at a gathering on Saturday. Not a fan of the uber-realism crap. GTA is about crime and stealing cars, not getting fat or going on stupid dates.

deathbringer said:

please tell me you dont have to drive with them too!

yes, you have to drive with the analog

Well dude, some people are more comfortable using the d-pad for movement. 99% of the console games I've played in my life are like that. I guess it grows on you...and I hate drastic change.

It wouldn't be so bad if you could change it though. One would think reconfiguring button layouts would be standard issue...even for console games.

Anyone else actually have this yet though? If so, where the fuck are the 4-wheelers? And the tow trucks? I did find a forklift and a steet sweeper however.

And why the hell does it seem like whenever I'm in a big rig i can't seem to locate a trailer to hook on...then when I'm not looking, when I'm in a car I see them everwhere...but then can't find a big rig...or can't find my way back when i do find one

I don't know what gamespot was smoking, but I've been playing for a few hours and all I can think about is how much better the first two games are. I have so many gripes with the game I don't even know where to begin, but I'm at least going to play through half of it (which I hear is going to take awhile) before I totally trash it. But just to give me peice of mind for the time being, I'm about ready to smash my ps2 into bits, the game takes soooooooooooooo damn long at every little loading time.

I bought it yesterday after I bought the Punisher on DVD.

I was impressed at first, like, riding the bmx around, some new features and stuff, but yeah, one thing that has been annoying me is the loading times. I know it's a big game, but you do a mission, root it sideways, and then have to wait another few minutes.

:@

And this new shit about exercising and wearing clothes and shit, I don't do that in real life, why do I have to do it in a video game? Wait, I wear clothes. But you see my point?

IMO, they've tried to make it too realistic...I thought GTA was all about talking to some dude, and he goes, go rape this cunt, or steal this cunts money, and you have FUN doing it. Not fucking about on a walking machine or dating some random bitch.

Snarboo said:

A payed reviewer's job was never to be objective. No, rather they are supposed to be payed a pretty decent sum for exclusive content, so as long as they give a gushing review while sucking up at the same time to Company X.

Reviewers do not in anyway, shape or form get payed a "pretty decent sum". The average wage for a staff writer is around £15,000 ($24,000 US) - admittedly more than some jobs, but a heck of a lot less than many others.

I don't trust GameSpot/IGN/PCGamer or any of the major game review sites/magazines anymore. They never seem to give bad reviews unless its a game from some 3rd party company and I suspect they're taking pay from a lot of the major game companies. I wouldn't trust an IGN review of the latest Atari game more than I'd trust Nintendo Power's review of the latest Mario game.

Or it could it be that major game companies only become major companies because they make high quality games. If they didn't, very few people would buy their games and they would no longer be a major game company (or even a minor one for that matter).

And it could also be that magazine reviewers are gamers, and so if there is a game that a vast number of other gamers enjoy, there's an extremely good chance that the reviewer, as a gamer, will also enjoy that game. So it could be said that a reviewer gives a game which he enjoys a good review simply because he actually enjoys the game.

Alright, I've been pretty much playing this game non stop since I got it about 6 hours ago. I am still on the first section, and while *I* am having a blast, I think I should run through some things GTA III/VC fans should know about this game:

• At the beginning, you are going to be doing an awful lot of small time stuff. And you aren’t going to earn much cash, or have access to good cars decent weapons for quite a while. in fact, gun shops are closed at the beginning. This game moves pretty slowly in comparison to the other GTA's.

• There are some parrapper the rapper style mini games here. (IE hit the right button in time with the music) I can see some people being annoyed at them, but they're not hard, and only a few of them are necessary.

• There are a few RPG elements in this game, in that you get upgrade. if you drive allot, you get driving skills, run allot get more stamina... it takes care of it's self though.

• There are allot of useless diversions in
    This game such as clothes stores and barbershops. While there is a mission that requires you to visit them once, it's just to show you where they are. don't fret, if you really can't be buggered, you can just walk in and walk back out again and just keep on playing (but hey, you should give it a shot, if only once, I plan on making CJ look like Jules from pulp fiction buy the end of the game).

• Yes, there is a gym, but it's optional. If you muck around with it, you'll unlock extra fighting movies and stamina. You don't NEED to visit it. Fitness really doesn’t have that much of an impact on the game.

• There is also dating. It is kind of silly I've yet to find a reason for it. Again, doesn’t seem to be vital for finishing the game.

• Eventually, you'll have to fight for turf. Which basically means you go to a rival gangs area, and pick a fight by blowing away some goons. The rival gang sends a few waves your way, and if you take them out, you get more turf, and more cash at a pick up out side of your home. Also every now and then, your turf will be attacked, and you will have to defend it (which has been pretty easy so far) this can happen at any point between missions. While it’s fun, there are times I just want to drive around aimlessly, see the sights and tune in to one of the radio stations, and I don’t want to be called away to defend some turf. I think once you clamed all the turf in one city you don't need to defend it anymore. But I've yet to prove it.
That’s all I can think of off the top of my head. I love it so far, but I think a lot of fans of the GTA games are going to be annoyed at the changes in this game. It’s a great game, but I’m not sure it’s a GTA game.

NiGHTMARE said:

Reviewers do not in anyway, shape or form get payed a "pretty decent sum". The average wage for a staff writer is around £15,000 ($24,000 US) - admittedly more than some jobs, but a heck of a lot less than many others.

I wasn't talking about the reviewer's salary, though. More like the under-the-table transactions that go on between game review sites and the game developers/publishers. Basically, the game review company gets exclusive content and money if they agree to give the game a great review. They might even get money to slam a rival game.

This isn't always the case, sometimes even games with a crapload of exclusive content get panned, but that agreement from before is probably the only thing keeping the game from getting a below average score. More often than not however, a merely average or above-average game is given a 9 or 10, a score that should be reserved for the absolute best of games, just because of its name or the company that published it. I don't actually have any figures as to how often these transactions take place, or even if they do, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened fairly often.