• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Spike

John Peel dead, aged 65

Noel Edmunds' death is the only potentially good thing to come out of it :\

I owe my taste in music to his radio show :(
I guess the only consolation is that he went out at the top of his game.

Why is it that all the good european people involved in music die of heart attacks? that's just insane.

Danarchy said:

Who? Is he related to Emma Peel?

No, but he was the leading alternative music DJ on BBC radio.

that sucks. he did a lot for extreme music. the napalm death and carcass guys are probably pretty upset about it.

jute gyte said:

that sucks. he did a lot for extreme music. the napalm death and carcass guys are probably pretty upset about it.

as, i'm assuming, are the smiths.

Spike said:

No, but he was the leading alternative music DJ on BBC radio.

I always remember him playing mandolin on Rod Stewart's Maggie May

I knew about the guy, he recorded multiple special sessions with about a billion different bands, one notable example being about half of Nirvana's album Incesticide.

Linguica said:

NO OH MY GOD THIS CANT BE HAPPENING OH JESUS GOD NO

I mean who?

Yeah god forbid anyone should post about someone dying who you've never heard about.

So? Every day, thousands of children around the world have their lives ended by starvation, disease, or bombs funded by the tax money this man used to pay. With all due respect for this apparently muchfully-important person, my sincerest sympathy is momentarily occupied.

But that's not the point.

If someone wants to make a thread about someone who died, because they knew the person somehow (personally or not), that's fine.

Fredrik said:

So? Every day, thousands of children around the world have their lives ended by starvation, disease, or bombs funded by the tax money this man used to pay. With all due respect for this apparently muchfully-important person, my sincerest sympathy is momentarily occupied.

Your hypocrisy is truly astounding. Whilst arguing that one person is, apparently, immaterial when compared with the numbers of children who die every day in the world, you simultaneously fail to recognise that people other than your one self, might have different and senstive feelings about the matter. It's all I haven't heard of this person, or it doesn't get my sincerest sympathy. Well who the hell are you?

Grief and loss are not tangible substances that can be measured per capita lost, they are unique responses to events formed within each individual. When you queston the validity of another's responses based on your own, you commit the most selfish kind of ignorance and arrogant presumption possible, as well as showing a fairly sizeable lack of respect to those involved.

Fredrik said:

With all due respect for this apparently muchfully-important person, my sincerest sympathy is momentarily occupied.

Respect? you have no respect for anyone. Do you really have absolutely no compassion? or are you so wrapped up in yourself that you have to be a git to everyone else? or is that you need to be the center of attention all the time so you make these dumb arse comments so everyone focuses on you. I feel sorry for you, you must be so lonely, I mean why else would you act the way you do to people? you remind me of a child, a naughty child having a tantrum.

The thing is, the guy made his break as a DJ in America, then was famous in England. It's not like he shouldn't be known in the US.

Vampirajay said:

Respect? you have no respect for anyone. Do you really have absolutely no compassion? or are you so wrapped up in yourself that you have to be a git to everyone else? or is that you need to be the center of attention all the time so you make these dumb arse comments so everyone focuses on you. I feel sorry for you, you must be so lonely, I mean why else would you act the way you do to people? you remind me of a child, a naughty child having a tantrum.

Hello Vampirajay, you must be new here. Welcome to Doomworld! Before you post again, please lurk some to familiarize yourself with the culture.

you see what I mean? you know damn well that I've been here for ages, but there you go, being stupidly sarcastic, you're not funny, you're just sad.

Vampirajay, turn it down. There are many, much more deserving recipients of your well-constructed criticism on this forum.

ROFL, the irony of AndrewB calling Fredrick on his trolling is immense. I fear the forums are about to fold in upon themselves.

EDIT: Or not. Rational thought isnt working here. I think I may still be buzzed.

I think the perception of apathy about this guy's death is because of some misstatements earlier on by a few folks. It's not so much that people don't care that somebody's dead, I think, but that it was brought to a forum and people just kind of assume that when you mention this kind of thing in a discussion environment that they are expected to know something about it and care about the topic and discuss. I think the comments that are being criticized are meant to convey that this guy is not as commonly known as widely as by those in a specific area of the world. It's like coming and complaining about the price of wheat in Uganda these days. Golly, we're sorry to hear that. Oh, hey, did anybody hear about the Sox game last night?

You can probably tell I'm one of the people who doesn't know who he is.

Another take on people's reactions here is that maybe they're angry that somebody has brought this news to a forum they frequent and seemingly expected them to lend their time to grieving for someone they don't know. I'm not saying that is necessarily the case, just that people may be perceiving it that way.

Fodders: About him being famous in the US -- the typical scope of radio DJ's exposure isn't quite so big as to allow a DJ to be "famous in the US" unless he's a travelling DJ or host of a nationally syndicated show. It'd work where you are, but that's like saying something is popular in Europe when you meant Poland, more specifically.