Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

I like teh secrets

Does anyone know any good wads that have some spectacular secrets? I find the secret areas... the discovery factor of computer games... to be the biggest draw for me.

(I recently found a new secret in Commander Keen, Secret of the Oracle (Episode IV) the most secret abundant id game ever.

Check one of the DV maps (the 4th one), idclip, turn left, and go forward, you'll find a secret room containing a pic from the best custom wads out there.

thanks for the tip, but I am looking for wads in general that have many neat secrets in them. I realize there aren't too many, but if anyone can recommend a wad with lotta secrets, that would be swell.

Does DV.wad have a lot of secrets?

I think it'd be fun if levels had super-secrets that opened up entirely new places and challenges to a level, like an alternate route, with extra keycards and everything.

Sort of a choose-your-own-way level.

Relica Religia said:

I think it'd be fun if levels had super-secrets that opened up entirely new places and challenges to a level, like an alternate route, with extra keycards and everything.

something like that seems like it would be neat in co-op
like 2 ppl play and they each choose a path and see who gets there first

RTC3057's Banana Room was quite funny for me - it's in the first map, next to the pathway puzzle. One of the walls opens and reveals a room full of dancing bananas.

Kinda off topic, but I distinctly remember Blake Stone : Aliens of Gold having TONS of secrets....and secrests inside of secrets.

AlexMax said:

Kinda off topic, but I distinctly remember Blake Stone : Aliens of Gold having TONS of secrets....and secrests inside of secrets.

Wolfenstien 3D was like that as well, but the secrets rarely acted as alternate routes.

Playing Commander Keen 4 lately kinda gave me some inspiration for über secrets which I am trying to incorporate into a couple SP maps I'm working on right now.

Thanks for the level suggestions guys, I will be checking them out shortly.

Maybe doomworld should host a map making competition where the objective is to make the coolest secrets in a level... so like... half the level would be graded on how well the secrets were integrated into the level/how cool the secret was/how creative it was in order to get to the secret, and then the other half would be graded on the level itself... since you need a cool level for the secrets to be found in. Not sure how clear that was... but this would be a competition I would love to see happen. :D

zombieribcage said:

something like that seems like it would be neat in co-op
like 2 ppl play and they each choose a path and see who gets there first

One of Memento Mori's secret levels is just like that, except each player has his own path already set.

Graf Zahl said:

Castevil.wad should be right for you. AFAIK it has ca. 20 secrets.

Any idea where to get the wad?

Graf Zahl said:

Castevil.wad should be right for you. AFAIK it has ca. 20 secrets.

Haha! 47 secrets! That's gotta be the most of any wad.

Mock2 Map23 has 57 secrets. Offhand, I can't think of any sensible maps that have a larger number of secret sectors than 47 though.

Grazza said:

Mock2 Map23 has 57 secrets. Offhand, I can't think of any sensible maps that have a larger number of secret sectors than 47 though.

They're not really secrets, it's just one of the jokes in the map. (every sector is a secret)

The Ultimate DooMer said:

They're not really secrets, it's just one of the jokes in the map. (every sector is a secret)

Yes, so I disappointingly found out when playing. That last credits level is pretty cool, though.

Relica Religia said:

Maybe I'll build it. Yes, I think this could be fun. :)