Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jerrylee

What am I doing wrong?

So I'm building a map.

And I want to use a couple of custom textures/flats (from AV.wad, but I'm pretty sure they're originally from Heretic and UDoom.) I used XWE to make a seperate texture WAD with all the textures I wanted (all 3 of them). I loaded the texture wad up in Doombuilder, and everything seemed to be fine. It let me select the textures and flats, and they seemed to show up fine in 3D mode:

http://students.jccc.net/~pbayless/doom1.JPG

But when I load up the level in ZDoom (63a.cab) one of the flats in particular seems, how you say, messed up:

http://students.jccc.net/~pbayless/doom2.JPG

So what did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?

Apologies in advance if I'm overlooking the obvious and/or wasting anybody's time.

Most likely, that texture just doesnt work right when used as ceiling/floor. ZDoom allows textures and flats both to be used as ceiling/floor and wall textures, but IIRC there are limitations in size. I think this has to do with the size, but it could be something else. Try another texture, one of different size. Maybe you need to resize yours.

jerrylee said:

So what did I do wrong, and how do I fix it?

You used a DOOM format texture as a FLAT.

If you used XWE to make the image, then you have to right click somewhere and say to make it a FLAT, otherwise it makes a DOOM patch image.

If using DeePsea, F7 - Import, click the FLATs radio button and all graphics that are imported will be flats.

Or if you just copied the data, then you inadvertantly put it in the wrong spot (between flat markers).

OTOH, all you really need to do is move that patch between TX_START and TX_END and it will work.

I'm assuming you put those between FF_START/FF_END markers (or F_..).

Thanks to those who have replied so far, but I'm still a bit confused here. Let me explain in detail what I did...

What I did was to start XWE, load up AV.wad, select the flat in question (AVFLAT05), do Entry -> Save As to export it, load up my own WAD file, Entry -> Load to import it, and put it between the FF_START and FF_END markers. All of this was done following the Help system in XWE. Where in that sequence of operations did I go wrong, and what should I have done instead?

You used a DOOM format texture as a FLAT.

Most likely, that texture just doesnt work right when used as ceiling/floor

But it IS a flat. Or at least it was a flat in the original WAD, and I want to keep it as a flat. So I'm not really sure what you guys mean by this. *confuzzled*

I believe you when you say it WAS a flat. However, what you did was convert it to a DOOM patch format. First you exported it and that's fine. But it's reading in back in where the conversion occurred.

XWE is a bit confusing here, but once you learn this anomaly and use the right command it will work. But just move it between TX_START and TX_END markers and it will be fixed.

You may be interested in learning how to do it the right way - since other ports do not support this (RISEN3D will in a bit though) so you need to know how to do it. Use either of the methods I showed above.XWE fiddle around a bit since the default is the wrong format. DeePsea is the most straightforward since when you import you explicitly click the type of conversion to make, thus you always know for sure :)

Actually in DS you don't have to export it, you can just import a PWAD directly then get rid of the parts you don't want. Every format stays exactly the way it was in the original PWAD. For a lot of entries where you only want a few it's probably faster to export and then re-import though.

(IOW this has nothing to do with it "working right" or whatever)

Seems to be fixed now. Seems unneccessarily complicated and obscure, but it works now. Thank you both for your help. :)