Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Going from MP to SP

As many of you know, I had made three GOOD deathmatch maps and released them to the public (La2, La3, NukeDm). Well after realizing I didnt get that many comments or feedback like a sp map would, I've decided to work on SP maps from now on. After getting better at mapping I feel it's the right time to bust out a nice detailed and gameplay flowing map, and release it to newstuff when its done.

I'll have a sneak peak screenshot in a little bit.

You could take a look at Final Doom and Icarus for some ideas on methods. Many of the maps in those wads had additional/alternative areas for DM or coop (Icarus map19 is particularly striking). Areas would be sealed off or opened up as a player emerged from a player 2 start or a DM start.

A medium or large DM map can (as UD mentions) often be converted into a fun SP map with a fair degree of success. Probably more as a slaughter map than as an "adventure" map though. :)

Well I wouldn't mind making a dm map go into an sp map, but it would take alot of modification, plus alot of balancing out and causes me alot of stress. As promised heres a screenshot(Well 3 anyways).

Atmospheric In my opinion with the darkness and flickering computer monitors.

Last screenshot is a circuit board in the sloped computer console. Give me a day or so and I'll have the big area I have in mind posted on here.

Here's a thought - script out a DMSP-style map. If you don't know (ie. haven't played Cube or the DMSP mod for Quake), DMSP is a deathmatch map that randomly places monsters on the deathmatch starts, until you have killed a certain number of them. Items don't respawn in this mode.

Think that's a good idea?

As it looks right now, it's Generic Tech Base #342865724. Put things like a cave section in the map to liven things up a bit.

Darkman 4 said:

As it looks right now, it's Generic Tech Base #342865724. Put things like a cave section in the map to liven things up a bit.

I agree. try to blend the atmosphere a bit.
Just look towards the classic Doom2, or Memento Mori, or Requiem wads to obtain some inspirations...