Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Corrupted Marine

making levels for zdoom

ive been working with DoomBuilder for a while now, and its great with regular doom levels, but im working on a new doom project right now with new graphics and everything. fortunatly, the new sprites only show up with zdoom, and ive tried getting help to see what im doing wrong with my WinTex, but no help. So, since its workin with zdoom i simply decided to just build my levels for zdoom. what do I require to make zdoom levels, and how do i set up everything.

heres what ive got:
zdoom 63.cab
doombuilder
doom2.wad

I need to know:
1.can i use DoomBuilder to create zdoom levels with slopes etc.
2.if so, how do I set up the doombuilder to make the zdoom levels, ex.) ZDoom(doom in doom format) ZDoom( Doom in Hexen format) ZDoom (Hexen)
3.how to i create the slopes in doombuilder.

i would really appreciate the help.

For optimal usage of ZDoom features you should select
'Doom in Hexen format'. Only with that you will be able to access all of ZDoom's features. If you are not familiar with Hexen format maps you may be a little surprised. It is a little more complex than Doom format (but infinitely more powerful.) To create slopes you use a simple linedef type that you put on the line where 2 neighboring sectors are supposed to match up.

If you have further questions I strongly recommend to visit the ZDoom forum at zdoom.org. There you will most likely get all the help you need.

And here you will find the documentation for ZDoom:

http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

One more thing:

If you want to create custom monsters (or use the monster pack) get 63a.cab which fixes a serious bug from 63.cab. The new wersions (90.cab and 91.cab are currently not recommended for development unless you want to use the new features.)

Thanks for the help so far, but one other question. When i set up my zdoom ( Doom in Hexen format ), what do i use for my PWAD file, do i browse the doom2.wad or something else?

oh crap ! heres what i just did:
went to my files, set my doom(doom in hexen format)
browse... doom2.wad

then i put down 2 sectors, set the one sector floor to 0 and then the other to 64, then i set the front side to 1 so it would slope on the front. and when i tried to go into 3d mode, it says this message:
"the nodebuilder could not build the given information, please make sure that there are no errors in your map."

now what did i do wrong this time.

Are you using ZDBSP to build your nodes? It's the only nodebuilder that supports Doom in Hexen Format that comes with Doombuilder.

i am using ZDBSP, so that cant be the prob, im doin exactly what the zdoom home page editing guide says to do. which it doesnt seem to help me very much. i need some serious help.

I believe (but I'm not sure) that you have to run zwadconv on your IWAD, converting it into a new IWAD based on the ZDoomHexen format, and name it something else like zdmdoom2.wad. Use this as the IWAD selection in Doom Builder.

Bloodshedder said:

I believe (but I'm not sure) that you have to run zwadconv on your IWAD, converting it into a new IWAD based on the ZDoomHexen format, and name it something else like zdmdoom2.wad. Use this as the IWAD selection in Doom Builder.

No, only WA required that.

A converted WAD won't help much if the node builder refuses tio build nodes (it isn't needed anyway.) Most likely you did indeed something wrong (like, for example, making the lines face outward instead of inward) Unfortunately DoomBuilder doesn't have any error checking capabilities. Running the WAD through an error checker would most likely point you to the problem immediately.

You should note though that DoomBuilder's 3D mode doesn't support slopes so don't be surprised if you don't see them there.

well now i got a new prob, i decided to download a zdoom level and just go into doom builder to study, and see how they did theirs. and when i went to play the zdoom level, i couldnt even do that. it said that theres an error with zdoom.exe and i should close the program, send or dont send error report. (win xp thing) the way that ive always played my doom levels with zdoom is... open the .WAD file with zdoom. ex.) right click .WAD file, properties, open with..., zdoom

is there some other program i require to play zdoom format levels?

scratch that last entry, i just went onto my computer and played around with doombuilder, i was workin with different file for about 30 min now, and just when i was about to give up, i actually made a slope and played the level. thanks to all of you for helpin me out in all ways you have !!!