Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

Need Demo Suggestions

Seeing as though my HR2 map29 speedrun isn't going anywhere fast (keep getting killed mainly by the revs near the BFG), I thought I'd ask if anyone has requests for demos they want to see (speedrun preferred obviously ^_^, but I can try a maxdemo if it does come down to it). Doesn't just have to be for HR2, it can be any megawad, single map, or whatever you can think of. Just make sure that if its going to be a speed demo, that it actually is feasible to finish in UV without having to kill 1/2 of the enemies (looks at HR2 map29 evilishly).

Kristian Ronge said:

Look here.

Good link - well remembered. Note that some of the wads mentioned there have now had demos recorded on them (e.g. I did NMs on Skyewood, while Vile Flesh now has a nearly full demopack).

So, you like (and clearly have an aptitude for) UV Speed demos on big violent maps, but don't want ones where you have to kill most of the monsters... I think Kill! Zone 1 and Kill! Zone 2 (which I mentioned in the thread Kristian linked to) might be good choices. UV Speed demos on those would be pretty tasty.

Actually, I think that Nightmare on ordinary maps is a similar challenge to UV Speed on HR2 - constant surprises and chaos. Have you played much NM?

Otherwise, there is 2002ADO - lots of Max demos, but very few Speed. BTW, note that the version of the wad used for those demos was the second release in 2002 - the one in the archive has recently been modified. Great maps, but some might involve quite a lot of killing due to the frequent shortage of space.

Or just choose any wad that you enjoy playing, and show us something interesting.

Schneelocke said:

TNT Map09 NM speed? ^^

Er, two problems with that...

A. I think it's nasty on NM. Not sure because...

B. I don't have Final Doom. Going to be getting it for Christmas though :).

Ah, OK. And yes, it is nasty on NM... I'm not even sure it's humanly possible at all, but considering the skills of players like Drew, I'll be careful with such statements. ^.^

tnt nm09 is rather in the same vein as pa02. :)

They're both possible, but insanely hard. I've got quite close to pa02 (I had the blue key on my best attempt). I think Drew got close to tn09, but don't remember the details.

AdamW said:

I think Drew got close to tn09, but don't remember the details.

Some relevant posts can be found here.

Anima Zero: The pa02 and tn09 suggestions in this thread shouldn't be taken too seriously. In case you haven't gathered, these are two of the most notorious undone compet-n tasks.

Grazza said:

Some relevant posts can be found here.

Anima Zero: The pa02 and tn09 suggestions in this thread shouldn't be taken too seriously. In case you haven't gathered, these are two of the most notorious undone compet-n tasks.

Not like I was going to try them in this lifetime most likely ^_^.
Thanks for the heads up though.

And also, I've downloaded Endgame. I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Ryback said:

Some EAEURO maxes would be cool.

hell yes! =) I would (almost) pay someone real money for recording the 2 undone ones of those.

Erik said:
hell yes! =) I would (almost) pay someone real money for recording the 2 undone ones of those.

I thought about doing at least one of those with TAS - would that also be of interest?

Well, I gave eaeuro01-03 a test drive. Pretty good work for what I saw (eaeuro02 in particular. Kinda reminds me of Eternal Doom). Also not easy by a long shot. I'll try to max eaeuro02, if I can somehow get a good route down. Any help for that would be great.

Kristian Ronge said:

I thought about doing at least one of those with TAS - would that also be of interest?

Definitely. All good demos (TAS or not) are of interest. ^_^

TAS/non-tas/incomplete runs/-turbo 20 runs, pacifist-nightmare-reality-lemmings. Anything would be nice =)

eaeuro02 update- Well, I'm still kinda trying to plot my route more. However, I'm pretty sure that I want to snag all of the cardkey area first while killing everything in said cardkey area (except for the final area/exit area, as I eventually get teleported close to it if I remember correctly), then move on to the skull keycards area and proceed to kill everything there. I think that'll work, but I haven't had much of a chance to test it out. Also, I still need to figure out which teleporter to take at the very start. Generally, it's the 3rd one on my left since I get the BFG right off the bat. Any more suggestions will be helpful.

I can't really help you with a route :/ I wasn't exactly a gameplay guru back when I made those maps and it kinda shows. They are too long and hard which makes it kinda shitty for recording (but should be fantastic to watch if someone pulls it off).

Double Post here I guess, but...

Well, I just finished eaeuro02. I finished in 35:51 (lemme guess, slow enough for ya? ^_^, though I have to spend time provoking infights in certain parts of the map). I didn't find it too overwhelming at all.

Now, just a couple of Q's: How in the blazes do I get the megasphere secret (Where a pair of pain elementals and cacos get released)? The other nearby secret (A BFG and a cell pack I think) I get via an archie jump into a pit, then go into the teleporter (doesn't seem to matter what side I go in) and beat the living tar out of what's there. Any help on that is welcome.

Once I figure that out, I shouldn't have too much trouble making a maxdemo tomorrow (even if it ends up being somewhat slow, hopefully someone else will be able to improve upon it).

Which brings me to my next question: I'm gonna have to add -maxdemo to my recording line for this demo. The question being would -maxdemo 4096 be enough for, say, a 40-minute demo?

Thanks in advance!

Anima Zero said:

Which brings me to my next question: I'm gonna have to add -maxdemo to my recording line for this demo. The question being would -maxdemo 4096 be enough for, say, a 40-minute demo?

It should be. IIRC, the -maxdemo parameter specifies how many KB are allocated for demo recording, so you should be able to record demos with file sizes up to 4096 KB that way.

Don't quote me on that, though - I'm not 100% sure anymore.

I have heard that PrBoom (etc...) manage their own memory space in windows and antiquate the -maxdemo command, but I haven't tested that.
-maxdemo 1024 should get you at least an hour... -maxdemo 4096 is probably 6. ???
the default is about 12-15 minutes... and that's 128k IIRC.
edit: sorry, away atm... I can't help you with the pwad questions. Erik?

Thanks for the help there Opulent. I think I'll use -maxdemo 2048. That should give me more than enough breathing room. Now I just need to get to that blasted megasphere secret and I'm all set to record tomorrow.

Those would be some cool demos to see anima... It's been a LONG time since I've played any of Eriks EAEURO wads, they're all great!

I'm going to sit down and play them for fun tonight... If I find out how to get the Mega, I'll shoot you a line on here.

GREAT demos by the way!

Thanks. I'm gonna take a look using -nomonsters since I know I got to the mega once, I just can't remember what teleporter I took to get up there.

EDIT: Well, I figured out how to get the Megasphere secret. Like the BFG secret, I need to get an archie jump to a small red square on top of the fort close to the above two secrets. Shouldn't be too hard assuming they actually lock on to me right away. I should be able to get a maxdemo up today hopefully.