Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maggot_army

custom flat problem

im working on a level for edge, and the way ive designed the level is it has a sort of grating for the floor that lets you see thru to the water below. my problem is that when i try to add a custom texture in the flats, the clear color(i think its cyan) turns black and i cant use it. is there a way to ignore that with wintex, so that it doesnt change the color from cyan to black?

You could try XWE and see if that fixes the problem, but I'm not sure EDGE supports transparent or see-through flats.

ive tried xwe also, and i know that edge supports the transparent flats. i might have used xwe wrong or something because when i add the new custom flat, its also changes the cyan color to black. is there a certain way i have to do things to add it into the wad? thanks for the help

Are you absolutely sure you used cyan? (0, 255, 255). Also make sure your chosen art-editing program isnt doing any dithering or smoothing behind your back.

im pretty sure i used cyan, because when ive loaded custom textures it works fine and when i edit texture it works fine also, its just when i add a flat it changes the cyan. could the problem be that cyan is an unsupported color in the flats, like its only 255 colors instead of 256?

maggot_army said:

im pretty sure i used cyan, because when ive loaded custom textures it works fine and when i edit texture it works fine also, its just when i add a flat it changes the cyan. could the problem be that cyan is an unsupported color in the flats, like its only 255 colors instead of 256?

What does EDGE want for transparency?

FLATS don't really have transparency and can be any of the 256 indexed colors.

I assume that EDGE looks for a specific color and that color is cyan?

I also assume that it's Edge is showing this "flat" as black?

If so, then what you did was not make a flat, but instead a DOOM patch format texture and EDGE probably decided to make this "black"?

To fix find the saveas or something like that in XWE to make it a flat or use DeePsea, F7 - Import, click the Flat radio button and it's a done deal. (shareware has unlimited resource tool support)

sbsoftware.com/files/deepsea.zip

you could also try and use a transparent texture on the floor in question, just to be sure.

Lobo said:

you could also try and use a transparent texture on the floor in question, just to be sure.

how do you do this?

so far ive tried wintex deepsea and xwe, and they all change the texture to black, im using the line 413 (if that helps) which makes a floor that i can shoot through. from what ive tried, im pretty sure that doom doesnt support that cyan color on floors, but if im wrong it would really help if someone knew how, or if there is a wad out there with cyan floor textures.

maggot_army said:

how do you do this?

so far ive tried wintex deepsea and xwe, and they all change the texture to black, im using the line 413 (if that helps) which makes a floor that i can shoot through. from what ive tried, im pretty sure that doom doesnt support that cyan color on floors, but if im wrong it would really help if someone knew how, or if there is a wad out there with cyan floor textures.

Naw. 100% for sure that FLATS do not care about the index. Heck even 100% sure that textures don't care about the "cyan" color or any other color (except index 255). This "transparent" color is purely for conversion tools, not the game. This is a problem in communication in describing accurately what your are doing.

You didn't answer my question directly, but if you are saying that "they" (meaning Wintex, DeePsea and XWE) all change the "FLAT"and SHOW IT as black, that can't be. You must be talking about EDGE.

Here's what is is really happening:

Since "cyan" doesn't really exist in the DOOM palette, what you've done is use the value at index 247 which is "BLACK". And that's why DeePsea doesn't use the Wintex convention and uses a real color that is actually present in the palette to avoid issues like this :)

I don't think EDGE supports regular wall textures as floor textures. If it doesn't then a "texture" will show up like this: Usually looks like striped/angled lines on the floor.

So explain what EDGE wants for transparency? This is not a color per se, but a palette index. It can't be index 247 since the results show that it just displays the color - as will any port.

(ps. shooting through a floor is not the same thing as a transparent floor)

It's vey difficult to help you without knowing exactly what you've done in your level. If the 3d floor is solid, can you see it? If you use a normal texture does that work? If you mess around with translucency could that give you the effect you want?

I haven't got time to look into this right now, but I'll see if I can investigate it at the weekend and I'll add it on to the end of my Edge Tutorial.

BTW, if you manually give a texture name as the floor/ceiling name in your level editor then Edge will treat it like a flat.

basicly my level is set up like this, ive got halls that are 128 high, and ive got a 3d floor set at 32, using the line413 to make it a thin floor, since i dont want to use transparetn floors. i dont think it really matters what engine im using, i just want to use cyan in my floor texture..lol. my floor texture looks like the wall texture "midspace" which will let me see thru to the floor below. but every time i add it into the wadfile it changes the color. its work fine if i edit a wall but its with the floors that the problems start.

Lobo said:

BTW, if you manually give a texture name as the floor/ceiling name in your level editor then Edge will treat it like a flat.

this has solved my problem, thanks for the help.