Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aseph

How beefy is this? [Half-Life 2]

Wow, its been awhile since I came to the Doomworld Forums... I wonder if anyone remembers me?

But anyways, I had a question about the upcoming Half-Life 2. Does anyone know if it is going to come out for PS2 (and forgive me if this question was asked before, but I've been gone awhile)?

HL2 is way too advanced to run on the PS2. I believe Valve answered that question a while back - they plan to port HL2 to the next generation of consoles, starting with XBox 2 and PS3, and whatever Nintendo's next big system will be.

No

Half Life 2 wont be able to run on that Dated system.I dont even think Xbox is capible of handling it.

DoomDan said:

I dont even think Xbox is capible of handling it.

Doom 3 is being ported to the XBox, albeit with severely reduced detail. Since Half-Life 2's engine isn't as graphically intense as Doom 3's, I don't see why the XBox couldn't handle it. You might have to remove some of the prettier effects, but it could work.

Snarboo said:

Doom 3 is being ported to the XBox, albeit with severely reduced detail. Since Half-Life 2's engine isn't as graphically intense as Doom 3's, I don't see why the XBox couldn't handle it. You might have to remove some of the prettier effects, but it could work.

I have a funny feeling Doom 3 might be cancelled for Xbox though.

Im glad that they plan to Port HL2 on PS3/XB2/Gameoctagon.I wonder how it will look on the Next Generation consoles.

i bet it will look good. but then agian i never even saw HL for PS2.

the PS2 is too dated. i am sure a port for Xbox would be possible, but why not wait for xbox2. personaly i don't know why they didnt wait for doom and halo 2. even if it was an extra year for halo 2 i wouldn't care.

HL 2 will probably not be on a Nintendo system, Nintendo keeps pissing off 3rd party companies, it seems. Mind you, a Dynasty Warriors game is coming to the Dual Screen, so you never know, I guess.

If Doom 3 gets cancelled for the XBox, that'll suck balls, but I've heard some promising things regarding the few previews (for the XBox) that've been floating around (E3 stuff, though, so it's a bit dated). I doubt it'll be cancelled, but ya never know. But, if Doom 3 can be made to run on the XBox, HL2 should then.

Valve & Sierra have announced that there WILL BE a PlayStation 2 Half-Life 2 title. It won't be out for quite some time, but it will be out nontheless.

S1lent said:

Valve & Sierra have announced that there WILL BE a PlayStation 2 Half-Life 2 title. It won't be out for quite some time, but it will be out nontheless.

And Ill Laugh at how ugly it is when it does come out.

Look a RTCW and Max Payne 2 for PS2.Both Ugly pieces of Dog Shit[Well, Max Payne 2 is Dog shit in general if you ask me]

But then again...I though Splinter Cell for PS2 was really Good.

Nintendo's GameHipercube.
It uses a unique time-space shifting chip (not included) for a more inmersive gameplay.

I hope HL2 comes out for PSX2

yea HL2 on the PS2 would look like butt, like doom on SNES. personaly i don't know why they would bother with it. I am sure by the time they got finished PS3 would be due out. so why not develope it for PS3?

As for doom III on X-box i dout they will cancel it, but i could see them moving to to X-box 2.

Perhaps you should take a look at Killzone before saying the PS2 isn't capable of rendering a good looking FPS...

Sorry NiGHTMARE, but HL2 on the PS2?. That's just daft... If it can barely handle Quake 3/RTCW then I don't see how the hell it can run a game that advanced.

DoomDan said:

I have a funny feeling Doom 3 might be cancelled for Xbox though.

Maybe they're integrating the Doom 3 mission pack into the game while the mission pack itself is being worked on (either that or they're working on making it downloadable content via Xbox Live)? It's a remote possibility but a possibility nevertheless.

NiGHTMARE said:

Perhaps you should take a look at Killzone before saying the PS2 isn't capable of rendering a good looking FPS...

The framerate is disastrous and has a serious detrimental impact on gameplay, often leading to missed shots, unobserved enemies, and general disorientation. Also, while Killzone features some remarkable still frame visuals for the PlayStation 2, movement creates some rather serious burps. Characters that don't animate facially when speaking in-game is a slight, but the more serious visual hiccups are polygonal seams (the white shimmering or breaking that happens where two polygons meet in an environment) and a really hilarious LOD system.

It's obvious that there is only so much the PlayStation 2 can do. But while games like Ace Combat, Ratchet & Clank, Jak, Snake Eater, and Ghosthunter are constantly pushing that boundary, Killzone has managed to falter. In order to crank out all the high quality visuals, Killzone uses a level of detail system that pops low quality models and textures into a scene in place of higher quality ones that only come into play in close-up situations. The problem is that this particular system doesn't seem to know when it's appropriate to snap these low quality models into a scene. This makes the game appear to be a weird, consistently transforming beast. It'll happen.

It's not uncommon to walk in front of a character and see a blurry mishmash of polygons that would barely pass as PSOne acceptable. It's not uncommon to turn a corner and see a hill that looks like a grey temporal void, or a floor that's a long sheet of pure brown. It's pretty ridiculous and happens way too much to be healthy. But what's more distracting is the way the animation routines seem to be tied into this same broken LOD system. When characters in the distance or as close as one foot away do anything they might only draw two or three frames of animation. It's like watching a Southpark character spontaneously move from one position to the next. Since the animation appears to be subject to the same popping whims as the models and textures, this can make for a laughable experience, especially since none of the routines (death scenes in particular) are very good.

Linguica said:

You took that from the ign review, didnt you??

I dont find Killzone That impressive in terms of visuals, even for a PS2 Game.

And I heard it was a mediocre FPS with a lack of Polish and tons of glitchs.

The new nintendo system is codenamed "Revolution". So the Nintendo Revolution is the new gen thx

Yeah, Ling, that's the IGN review - but IGN's was actually - from what I've gathered, anyway - the most lenient. Unless GamePro was even kinder, but I doubt that; even the PS2 fanboys are rejecting it somewhat.

If HL2 comes to PS2, it ain't gonna run very well at all. But, let them find out the hard way.

It'll run well if the levels are greatly chopped up (let's not mention detail; we know anything that's ported from a more powerful system to the PS2 needs to take a massive graphics detail hit to run at all) in to smaller but more numerous sections, I would think. And the AI code may need to be tampered with if it runs to many processes at once.

Deus Ex: Invisible War was built from the ground up for the PC and XBox. The XBox versions had minor framerate issues. Mind you, it was an Unreal engine (2.0), but I highly doubt that U2.0 suffers from the same severe flaws as the Unreal/UT engine.

If they just dump most of the fancy graphical features, the detail won't need to take a hit. There are several PS2 games featuring scenes with a similar level of detail to that which is visible in the most detailed Half-life 2 screenshot, e.g. the Ratchet & Clank series.

Relica Religia said:

GameTesseract

1. I'm betting you stole that joke from Bob & George.
2. It's tessarect.
3. Tessarect is a 3 dimensional figure. The word you're looking for is hypercube.

LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOOOLOLLOLLOOL

Darkhaven said:
2. It's tessarect.
3. Tessarect is a 3 dimensional figure. The word you're looking for is hypercube.

I'm guessing that you're either kidding or that you failed Greek.

Half-Life 2. Does anyone know if it is going to come out for PS2

Kid in late 1994: When will doom come out on the megadrive?
"Sega power" magazine: FOR THE LAST TIME! NEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

S1lent said:

Sierra isn't the publisher of HL2, they only did HL1.

Relica Religia said:

Haven't you ever read A Wrinkle in Time?

LOLIO

Haven't you evar read "Hyperspace" (by Michio Kaku)?

Anyway, to explain:

Yes, I admit I made a mistake when I tried to say it's "tessarect". However:

Tesseracts are 3D figures, as they are the "simplified" versions of hypercubes. Think about hyperspace, which is (as defined in Michio Kaku's Hyperspace, and in dictionary.com) 4-Dimensional space, the root of this word being hyper (meaning Above or beyond) which in this case is referencing a higher dimension. Is there a hypertesseract? I think not.

Therefore, most popular references of the tesseract are using the word in an implausible circumstance, where tesseract should be hypercube.

Also, I'm a 13-year-old 8th grade student. How could I have failed a Greek class when I never took one?