Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Corrupted Marine

What do you do for a living?

Ok, so im just a little curious, what is everyone on this site do for a living. I mean, are some of you just a bunch of nerds without a job, that lives with your mom. Or do some of you actually work and take all your extra time working on all these megawads. With all the time and maintainance required for Doom World, how to you even hold a job? As for me, well im 16, so im still in school, and i spend all my time working on crap for doom. So, just what do you all do for a living?

This is my profile at Gamespot and it tells who I am and what I do.I havent updated it in about a month though-

"Im 15.I have no Girlfriend.Im nice to woman, but woman hate me anyway.I hate my Highschool.Its full of Morons [Mostly the teachers].I cant go a day in my life without seeing some Jackass trying to impress his under-aged girlfriend or try to act tough but makes a Complete Idiot of himself in the progress instead.Im kinda Lazy and Anti-Social and I dont really care about what other people think of me because chances are my Intellegence is superior to theirs and they arent worth my time or energy

Im Mostly a Fan of Final Fantasy Games[Classic ones],The GTA Series,Shooters or Action games[both first and third person],and Racing games.Im also a Big Doom fan[Which should be Obvious if you look at my Username]"

Most wanted games-
GTA:SA[PS2]
Halo 2[Xbox]
Doom 3[Xbox/PC]

Now playing-
Burnout 3[PS2]
FF Antholigies[PS1]
Final Fantasy 9[PS1]

Hi, I'm a Doomworld moderator, and one of my jobs is making sure people post in the right forum. Therefore, I'm moving this thread to Everything Else.

I work my ass off 50+ hours a week building houses so the federal government can take 1/4 of my paycheck...yep, that's what i do

Hi, I'm some guy who likes to make doom levels and midis.

I got out of the military a few months ago and now I'm going to college using the GI bill.

I've been to lazy to look for a job just yet, kind of taking a vacation I guess.

I'm a senior in high school and I don't have a job yet. Nor do I have a driver's liscense, or a girlfriend. Video games are my life, or they would be if school wasn't such a high priority.

I'm a 22 year old Doomer/nerd who has temporary employ with my fucked up uncle, we're renovating the house he's going to move into.
I like to map, when I don't suffer from mapper's block, an all too common affliction for me, read, occasionally write, and if you haven't guessed it yet, post here on the DW Forums.

I'm a university student in second year materials engineering at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.

I'm a third year student majoring in English at the University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.

Graphic designer at a marketing company. Also a doom3 forum moderator. Just turned 23 years old not too long ago. Im losing over $600 a month in taxes. Give me money.

27 year old father working as a programmer/consultor/net admin/translator/webmaster

I'm a publisher, so don't really have time for Doom stuff, but I still make a few hours a day for it. :p Just as well maybe, since otherwise my work would no doubt expand to fill all my available time.

I've also recently become a property investor too. Looks so far as if that won't be a major drain on my time though.

corrupt_marine said:

I mean, are some of you just a bunch of nerds without a job

Hey thats me since I got laid off!!!

With all the time and maintainance required for Doom World, how to you even hold a job? As for me, well im 16, so im still in school, and i spend all my time working on crap for doom.

I actually started running Doomworld when I was 16, what have you been doing with your life eh :P

To answer your question regarding Doomworld, it doesn't require a lot of time or maintenance, except for modding the forums, which is why we have mods that have no lives and are addicted to the internet yeah that's right I said it!

I'm a 20 year old (21 Dec. 5th), 3rd year college student at the University of Denver, though I'm currently studying abroad in Hirakata-Shi, Osaka, Japan at a school called Kansai Gaidai. I'm majoring in Computer Science (BSCS) with minors in Math and Japanese. 日本語が少しできます。

Job wise, I work as a multimedia technician (read: A/V Tech) at my school back home. Usually I do the normal stuff such as deliver equipment and setup events, although I've also been hired to do audio digitization and cleaning, and occasionally do Video digitization and format conversions. I also do some basic system administering on our office's server (I can claim being root on that machine). This is the 2nd job I've had in my life so far.

Doom-wise, I've been working on a megawad called Kill for the past nine or so years now. And am now almost finished (two levels to go) despite not having updated the webpage for it in a year. I also am the dude who started TeamKill, though we don't do much.

I'll be 21 in March. In the past year, I've failed community college, been forced to quit a job, and I lost the girl I love then she told me she didn't like me then fled town. Since then, I've lost my faith in humanity and I refuse to leave my house ever again. For the last 2-3 months, I've just been sitting around watching British comedy, yelling at inanimate objects, and letting my hygeine go by the wayside. I did get drunk a week ago though, which was a fun experience.

I'm a full-time home carer with a part-time job at a local Off License. In my spare time I listen to music, go out to clubs, write, draw, watch decent (ie British :P) comedy, get drunk with friends, dote after my 3 y/o daughter and have lots and lots of sex with my wife.

Oh and I play this thing called Doom.

Postgraduate researcher at university. Worst English major ever.

Trying to get a part-time job to pay for all this education.

I easily have time for dw during the week, a spot of moderating here and there, even the odd post, heh. When I'm not doing that I'm spending time with someone close to me, watching TV, playing 6-a-side football (soccer), cooking etc. or even playing Doom (I always play every newstuff wad every week), though I can't actually play doom online at uni atm due to their firewall, which, although I moan bitterly about it, is probably just as well as I would likely never get any work done. When I'm at home you can find me lurking in CTF/DM servers most of the time, representing UD.

I'm 18, just graduated last May. I currently live with my mom and sister while I save up money. I make money by working at Walmart, which is actually the best place to work in this stupid town aside from a 3M plant. It's money though. I plan to attend the Institute of Art in Chicago, Illinois next year for Vid Game Development & Design. I'm definitely not satisfied with my life being the way it is right now, so that's my way of trying to do something better, that I'll enjoy. If I'm not on the internet or doing something on the computer, I'm working, sleeping, spending time with friends, or doing some band-related activity. I also play Magic: the Gathering, when with friends, though I tend not to spend money on it anymore if I can help it (I usually can). I'm also gay. There aren't really any gay guys in the middle of nowhere within 2 hours distance. I'm sure going to college where I am that will change. In the past I've mapped alot for various ports and projects, though I never end up having the will to finish any of them so no one ever sees them minus a few people on AIM I talk to on a regular basis. I was the creator, and ender, of the Doom 64 TC sequel, Dark Nexus (all maps that were being made are being meshed into Kaiser's Doom64 TC mod, "Outcast." So you'll still see them). I'm currently working on a Doom 3 map called "Halls of Deception." (don't count on ever seeing more than screenshots of it). I'm also part of Team Kill (would be DJ Haruko, Me, and Dunbar. There's a 4th member but I forgot who they are. Snap.) Now go fuck yourself.

21 years old, majoring in computer science at Oakland University. As far as doom is concerned, I just make demos for Compet-N or the demos forum, as well as beta-test for Erik Alm. I've made several attempts at mapping, across several games, but I've never finished anything. Now go fuck Melfice.

I am a computer tech right now and i do some work with the dayton reptile group.

however looking for another part time job right now for the extra money and also may join up with the military. however not sure which branch to go into.

software and systems work for a defense contractor; my company keeps asking me if I want to live in Iraq for a year.
at home, I'm working on being the biggest FPS demofreak there is...

I finished a year of college and would be longshoring, only I failed the physical test, and look forward to trying again in the future. I'm currently employed in the laziest job known to history of the human race, as a background performer for film and television. I sit around till they herd me along with all the other living, walking, breathing props, onto the set and pretend to be interested in what's going on when they holler action. I repeat this tedious process till the day is over. All throughout the day there is a table of food to pig out on, and sometimes there's a remotely decent lunch and dinner. I sometimes end up pulling over time, time and half, sometimes double.

My agency then takes %15 of my earnings and the government takes a little when I do taxes. One shitty aspect is that it's not always steady, but still decent money for what it is. Beats being a slave for some stupid fastfood restaurant or any other bullshit minimum wage job.

Well, so far ive found out that there are 4 types of doomers:

1. Nerds
2. "I hate life"
3. Unemployed
4. People actually doing sumthin with their life, like college etc.

As for me, im in the "I hate life" category, i think it sucks, no girl friend, im a punk skater freak. and not so good grades, spend all my extra time doin stupid stuff when im around my friends, and playin Doom, yeah baby!!!