Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wildseed

Eagles "Hotel California"

Is this Satanism Song?
Yesterday, when I listened to this song, something struck me.
I remembered the article I had read about 15years ago which had it that this rock classic was related to Satan.
For example...

"So I called up the captain, 'Please bring me my wine'
He said, 'WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969'"

"And in the masters chambers, They gathered for the feast
THEY STAB IT WITH THEIR STEELY KNIVES, BUT THEY CAN'T KILL THE BEAST"

"Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back To the place I was before"

"'RELAX' said the night man, We are programmed to receive.
YOU CAN CHECK OUT ANY TIME BUT YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE"

Of course, the lyrics of this song are not compose of difficult words or sentences.
But I'm not a native speaker so I'm not sure whether I understand this lyrics 100% or not.

Ralphis said:

Without reading the above link, I'm about 95% sure it's about drug addiction.

It isn't about addiction.

?
Other than the obvious references to being in an insane asylum and being tortured by a bad experience with woman in his past, I don't see anything else in the song.
Certainly isn't about Satan or Devil worship by any stretch of the imagination.

Quast said:

It isn't about addiction.

Yes it is. A Hotel California is another term for rehab clinic.

"So I called up the captain, 'Please bring me my wine'
He said, 'WE HAVEN'T HAD THAT SPIRIT HERE SINCE 1969'"

Some type of drug that they stopped doing in '69

"And in the masters chambers, They gathered for the feast
THEY STAB IT WITH THEIR STEELY KNIVES, BUT THEY CAN'T KILL THE BEAST"

Heroin needles anyone?

"Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
I had to find the passage back To the place I was before"

Trying to lose the addiction

"'RELAX' said the night man, We are programmed to receive.
YOU CAN CHECK OUT ANY TIME BUT YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE"

It's almost routine to take the drugs, which make you relax obviously. Most drugs do that kind of stuff. Checking out any time refers to dying, and never leaving refers to not being able to lose the addiction.

So you can die but you can't lose the addiction.

I'm pretty sure it's drugs

I always thought this song was just about a Hotel they stayed at one night. I found the words rather odd, but I didn't think anything of it. :D

Gokuma said:

I think it's conclusive that this song in fact sucks ass.

fuck you

and yeah its obviously about drugs.

I heard this damn song spammed way too much at work over the summer. If I come across a Hotel California, I must destroy it.

I don't think it's about anything in particular. Remember, if you put together a lot of incoherent, vague crap, people will inevitably "interpret" it and find "symbolisms" and "deeper meaning". For example, consider the Bible.

Gokuma said:

your taste in music sucks and your taste in clothing is questionable.

I'd say it's more about the entertainment business than about drugs... drugs being a fascet of it, which combines with it really well. It's vague, but most lyrics stem from personal activity... writers writing about writing and its practrice, musicians making music about music and its business, etc. Plus if a lyric is obviously (and only) about a certain thing, it's generally crap... not that music always needs good lyrics.

I used to hear this song all the time during the '80s... because it was unavoidable and because The Eagles was one of my brother's favorite bands.

The lyrics somewhat remind me of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven.

ravage said:

your taste in music sucks and your taste in clothing is questionable.

I like classic rock. But this song is overplayed and comes off as pop shit that happens to come from the same time period. Where the hell does the clothing remark come from? Your taste in species is questionable.

Ralphis said:

Heroin needles anyone?

According to the book in the Complete greatest hits, that line is actually a reference to Steely Dan. The girlfriend of one of the band members loved the Eagles and he got sick of it, so they took a shot at them in one of their songs. The Steely knives line is an indirect volley back at them.

Fredrik said:

I don't think it's about anything in particular. Remember, if you put together a lot of incoherent, vague crap, people will inevitably "interpret" it and find "symbolisms" and "deeper meaning". For example, consider the Bible.

ARE YOU QUESTIONING THE HOLY SCRIPTURE??!

Yeah, the Eagles(band) aren't that great, and "Hotel California" is incredibly average. When the popular claim is that this and "Desperado" are the shining moments of the band's most critically acclaimed albums, there's something wrong.

Also, I see Don Henley in the same light as that "Glory Of Love" guy when he joined Chicago. SHUDDER.

Gokuma said:

Sorry, but William Hung's version isn't the original song.

Ralphis said:

Much better than that industrial shit which sounds like someone growling into a microphone. Why don't you appreciate something musical instead recordings of people stepping in shit.

I think you've got "industrial" confused with "death metal" there. I bet if you actuasly listened to half the bands I have on my playlist/CD colection, you'd 180 on saying I don't appreciate anything musical. And I see great irony in defending classic rock while talking about musical value.

Danarchy said:

I think you've got "industrial" confused with "death metal" there. I bet if you actuasly listened to half the bands I have on my playlist/CD colection, you'd 180 on saying I don't appreciate anything musical. And I see great irony in defending classic rock while talking about musical value.

Why? Most classic rock is 50 times better than the shit they play on the radio these days. If only Dire Straits was still together :(

Yes, the stuff they play on the radio these days. Turn off your crap-machine and find some stuff online or something.

Anything that is mainstream must be crappy because it's popular! REBEL BITCHES, INTERNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!