Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NiGHTMARE

Witchaven palette

I was wondering if someone had this, because I can't seem to find it in the Witchaven resource file anywhere. Thanks in advance :).

kristus said:

extract an image and you'll have the pal in that.

Whats the procedure for getting a palette file out of an image? I've heard people say to do this a number of times but nobody ever gives up how to do it.

NiGHTMARE, the Witchhaven palette is distributed with XWE, it's in the Palettes subfolder. To use it, select any image and click Image|Select palette, then select it from the list.

Doom Dude, IrfanView for example can do it, it's free, small and easy to use. Click Image|Palette|Export Palette (assuming the current image has one - i.e. it's not true color).

Doom Dude said:

Whats the procedure for getting a palette file out of an image? I've heard people say to do this a number of times but nobody ever gives up how to do it.

Most decent image editing applications have a palette extraction option. In Photoshop, you can go to "Image" --> "Mode" --> "Color Table" and you'll be presented with an editable palette. You'll get 4 buttons, including "Load" and "Save". "Save" gives you the option to save the palette as an .ACT file (Color Table) or .PAL file (Microsoft Palette). Once it's saved, you can then open other images and load the palette onto them via the "Color Table" editor.

kristus said:

extract an image and you'll have the pal in that.

No, because it uses whatever the last palette you had loaded was, so the image will just use that - that's actually why I wanted the palette, so I could view the graphics properly in XWE ;). For some reason the Print Screen key won't work with this game either, and all the on-line screenshots I could find were saved in 24 bit.

Csabo said:

NiGHTMARE, the Witchhaven palette is distributed with XWE, it's in the Palettes subfolder. To use it, select any image and click Image|Select palette, then select it from the list.

Ah, I was using an older version (v1.09) and it's not in that. Didn't realize you'd since included it - thanks :).

Lüt said:

Most decent image editing applications have a palette extraction option. In Photoshop, you can go to "Image" --> "Mode" --> "Color Table" and you'll be presented with an editable palette. You'll get 4 buttons, including "Load" and "Save". "Save" gives you the option to save the palette as an .ACT file (Color Table) or .PAL file (Microsoft Palette). Once it's saved, you can then open other images and load the palette onto them via the "Color Table" editor.

Makes sense. Thanks Lüt... not that I need to know how to do that right now as I have .pal files for everything I'm currently fiddling with. ;)

Heh, well I wasn't even sure you had Photoshop, but that was just an example which might have helped :P

BTW did you get that last mail from me some months ago? Because I think I was expecting a reply but it might have gotten lost in this.

Lüt my brain is fried. Its hard to remember... Ahhh just looked in my email and yes I did get that email from you and apparently I didn't answer it. My bad. I do remember reading it tho. ;)

Yeah I have Photoshop... don't use it much. Usually use PSP to do my texture palette stuff.