Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Espi

Polyobject stuff

I've made a ZDoom map with some polyobject sliding doors, but they "bleed" to other sectors (through 1 sided walls) when opened. I think it's because of the nodebuilder, so anyone know a good one?

Welcome to the world of polyobjects!

If you have lots of angles around a polyobject, it won't work. So the first thing is to achieve more or less rectangular areas in the area surrounding the poly. Sometimes just shifting something a litte bit will fix it.

Don't know what you are using, but DeePsea has some options to try to control the problem. Press F5/Node and play around. The minimum split factor should be 16.

It's also possible different builders will work in one level, but not in others, so play around with the different ones listed here at DoomWorld.

You can view the nodes using the DeePsea node viewer. What you look for is subsector being broken up into "pieces" in your poly area.

But all-in-all they are a bear to work with when levels get a lot of detail in them. So be aware that what may work now, may not work as you change your map.

Rick Clark found some ways to fix the bleeding. You can get his tutorials at zdoom.notgod.com

Rick Clark found some ways to fix the bleeding. You can get his tutorials at zdoom.notgod.com

Sort of, but as he indicated, he didn't understand the real problem. What I explained above IS the problem. It's all about subsectors and splitting of same.

Sometimes one can draw "extra" stuff and force the nodebuilder to "bypass". That's originally how Raven solved the problem in HEXEN.

So just shifting a line as he indicated, may or may not work - but all that's doing is making the nodebuilder he was using shift enough to solve the prob. As I recall, the shift usually has to be at least 4 units to have any effect.

I suspect that a poly buried in the middle of a large level will not be fixed just by doing that. It also may not work with different programs. Usually it's better NOT to have angled lines.

It takes a lot of tinkering to get them to work in a large level. HEXEN is good resource to see how they worked around the problems - not at all obvious:)