Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghostpilot

Any interest in VW?

Several months ago when doom skinning was popular, someone started to make skins with visible weapons?
I think it mostly was Mark Quinn (a.k.a. Boingo the Clown) who did the skins.

I know there are some more or less good skins of the marine with weapons out there.
Is there still interest in having a visible weapons mod for "insert skin supporting doomport here"?

The reason to why I'm asking is that I have been working on some skins myself from time to time.
The regular marine with a backpack, marine with the radiation suit on and marine with nightvision goggles on.
I know that a full VW mod would require a HUGE amount of skinning.
Marine + radiation suit + chaingun as an example.

In my oppinion it could enhance a DM experience some if it was implemented in a mod.
Unnessesary work you may say... True, but on the other hand what isn't?

It's mods like these (along with the terrain definition wad and many more) that add
those small but oh so needed features of pretend realism.

No matter if there still is interest in WV I will still complete my skins just because I like to finish what I start.

This would be really cool for co-op play, also. You might be able to support this using ZDoom scripting without requiring native engine support, although I've never done any ACS so I wouldn't know if the necessary functions exist.

Very nice job, are they fully animated? You should ask the authors of the diferent source ports if they are interesed. If they accept, you could easly add a marine with god mode, and one with blue armour.

I don't know... Right now I'm asking you (the ones that will eventually use this mod) if you
are interested in using one if someone made one.

Are they fully animated?
Yes. It's a skin, so I have made all 51 frames of the doomguy.
But all frames aren't done yet. If they were I would have released them.
I want to release all skins at the same time so my 5 minutes of fame will be glorious.

I will not show you all frames though. I'm protective of my work.
I can also mention that I have permission to use things that I have borrowed.
I have used the rotating backpack from QDooM as reference for the backpack.

I wonder, will someone use a mod that actually change your armor colour to blue when
you pick up the blue armor?

How would a skin representing the berserk mode look like? I was thinking of making the
eyes shine through the helmet and have a cloud or haze of "anger" above the head. Like an aura.

If I make all skins of items and powerups still missing, will someone be willing to help me with neccesary scripts later?
This will be time consuming to say the least.

There are of course many many skins to be done.
Some are easy (like the blue armor) and some are just boring.

This project can be as big as we want it.
There can be a lot of permutation of item combinations.
Like blue armor + nightvision + berzerk + chaingun.

I don't think the amount of skins loaded will be a problem to the game.
However it will be a pain to make all those skins.
Many are basicly just cut&paste operations.
But some require a little more work to fix.
The radiation suit is one that need more work for instance.

Well, lets see here... Nine weapons, rad suit, light amp, combat armor, and backpack.

9*2*2*2*2 = 144 skins!!

Maybe you should make v1.0 just the items and see how that goes :)

david_a said:

9*2*2*2*2 = 144 skins!!
Maybe you should make v1.0 just the items and see how that goes :)

That seems like a good idea. v1.0

david_a said:

Well, lets see here... Nine weapons, rad suit, light amp, combat armor, and backpack.
9*2*2*2*2 = 144 skins!!

Actually there are more.

• 9 weapons
  • rad suit
  • light amp
  • Combat armor
  • Berzerk
  • backpack
That makes 9*2*2*2*2*2 = 288 skins

Ghostpilot said:

Actually there are more.

If you're including the berzerk, might as well include invulnerability too... 576!

You don't need to be paranoid, I think that just skins for all the weapons and skins with the generic gun for when you pick up a power up is enought (with the last power up displayed, so you don't need to make combinations).

And yes, I'd be very interesed, probably in the Zdaemon comunity you may find some support.

...Woah. Those skins are very cool, please finish this, as this would be a great player skin resource!

Statusreport:
The backpack skin in neraly done. Only the death frames left to do.
I have to somehow figure out what to do with the backpack in the explosion death.
It has to look good enough when it disintergrates.

The light amplifier skin is rather easy to complete as only the helmet is involved.
Actually I have only made the 5 first frames to that one.
But with next to no alteration it will fit the next 40 or so frames.

The radiation suit skin is the one that's less finished of the three.
It's also the one that require most concentration to make the cloth of the suit fold propperly.
It doesn't really help that the shade of gray that the suit has along the edges is the exact
same shade of grey as the edges of the rifle he is holding. Makes it complicated, but not impossible.

That's all for now.

By the way, I want suggestions to how to do the "power up" skins, if they are to be made at all.
Invunerabillity (or however it's spelled) and possibly also berserk.

And what are you going to do when the rad suit for example wears off? Is it possible to return to the normal skin of the player if the player doesn't have the rad suit anymore?

Azriel: I have no idea. I just have to try and see if it can be done.
If it can't be done I will at least have done a cool rad suit skin.

I don't know if its possible to change the frames. However, I think there's a script in Zdoom that allows command changing, meaning you could have the script set the skin command to change a skin whenever that player picks up a certian item...

Kaiser said:

I think there's a script in Zdoom that allows command changing, meaning you could have the script set the skin command

No, unfortunately.
Zdoom doesn't have such a feature and we, Zdoom modders really miss it. It would be of really great usefulness.

If it's posible to change the skin when you pick up certain items, then you could script that the skin returns to normal after certain seconds.

This can all easily be done with three easy steps (well, the weapon switching skins):

1. Make skins
2. Make an external console script with all necessary bindings, etc. (e.g. "bind 1 slot 1;skin fistsmarine")
3. Run the game, with this command line: "+exec myskinsconfig.script" where "myskinsconfig" is the name of the file, and ".script" is any extension you want your console script to take.

EDIT: Also, if you want to really be a neatfreak about this, you can load your console script from another subdirectory inside the ZDoom directory, e.g. "+exec omg_skins/myskinsconfig.script"

Not right now.
I'm having a family "thing" to take care of first.
My grandmothers funeral to be exact.
But my inspiration to finish this is still here.
I'll get back to work after the funeral.