Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Butcher

Boom [launcher] for Windows

Ok just got the new version of WHACKED seems i can make bex files now

theres only one problem

and help is greatly appreciated

how dew i load boom with a bex file?

is there a boom launcher like the legacy launcher?

Use the command line argument "-bex myfile.bex".

If you absolutely need a launcher, try eternity. It has full boom support.

Thanks,ill try eternity.Im not sure what the command line is,but,I don't have MS-DOS ether.

edit-Can you post a link to this etirnety launcher?i cant find it anywhere

Eternity isn't a "Boom launcher" BTW, it's a modification of Boom, with a lot more features added (or to be more precise, it's a modification of a modification of a modifcation of Boom ;)). In other words, you don't even need to have Boom installed to use Eternity.

Caco-Puff said:

Christ how hard is it to do a command line or make a batch file.

Believe it or not: For many post-Windows computer users a command line is incomprehensible. Why else do you think all kinds of useless tools are sold for way too much money to those poor souls...

Lobo said:

The commandline is dead.
Long live the GUI!!

I sincerely hope you don't mean that seriously.

The GUI has been the biggest and most annoying obstacle in performing highly repetetive tasks in an efficient manner.

If the command line was ever removed from an OS that particular OS would become utterly useless to me.

Windows Startup has quite a bit of command line anyways(at least win95/98, not 100% sure about XP), and its a staple part of the OS, so it would be probaly near impossible to remove.

MasterOFDeath said:

Windows Startup has quite a bit of command line anyways(at least win95/98, not 100% sure about XP), and its a staple part of the OS, so it would be probaly near impossible to remove.

Thank god! ;)

Since Eternity understands 99% of BOOM's command line options, you can use the Eternity Frontend to launch BOOM and other ports that are command-line compatible with it. However, there are some issues with launching DOS-based ports from Windows-based frontends, so I don't recommend using the DOS version of BOOM anyways.

Quasar said:

... so I don't recommend using the DOS version of BOOM anyways.

If someone is looking for a straight Windows port of Boom 2.02, then Prboom 2.02 fits the bill. Not sure why they didn't call it WinBoom, as that would have made it clearer what it is.

Because Proff is very proud and likes to name his children after himself.

I got tired of ZDooms damn software rendering, and since ZDoomGL makes my computer lag like hell when it sees animated flats, Legacy is buggy as hell, JDoom has long load times, Risen3D's auto aim doesnt work, and the latest version of PRBoom leaves holes in maps on my comp in GL mode, I DLed the GLBoom 2.5 from the 3ddownloads link under this very site's ports page. Seeing how annoying it is to either go into the command line or alter short cuts every time I want to play a map, I then downloaded Wadplay from the ID games archive. Well it turns out that Doom2.exe is hardcoded into the front end. After trying many other fruitless downloads I decided to DL a Hex Editor and mess with the prog. Just searching for the string Doom, I was able to find where the executable names were stored. Since you cant change the number of character entries in a program or it will be corrupted I had to copy and change glboom executable into boom and boom2, so that the prog would function with both doom and doom2. Then I saved and used the prog to start up glboom and have a little fun. In all honesty it probably want worth all the effort.

Oh yeah, can anyone tell me how to turn auto-aim on in risen3d, as the port sounds awesome but there seems to be minimal documentation and I cant get it to change from the menu option. Oh, and can those damn splashes when you hit water be turned off? they look really stupid. If i could get some help on getting those things fixed I'd be very grateful.

I should probably get some sleep.

Edit: Damn, It took me about 5 tries to Edit a simple link. I REALLY need some sleep.

Grazza said:

If someone is looking for a straight Windows port of Boom 2.02, then Prboom 2.02 fits the bill. Not sure why they didn't call it WinBoom, as that would have made it clearer what it is.

Clearer? Hardly. I run PrBoom under Linux on a regular basis. How would calling it WinBoom be better?

But version 2.02? That's before Proff merged his project with cph's; and the engine is just Boom for Windows, basically. Unless I'm mistaken and it can be compiled on Linux too...

Haha, I rest my case.

Clearly it would have been a good idea to have a new name for versions 2.1.0 and above (i.e. after the merger with LxDoom).

As it is, people are doomed forever to get PrBoom 2.02 (straight Windows port of Boom) confused with PrBoom 2.1/2/3.x (multi-platform port with many additional features, but not a straight port of Boom).

I am not sure about version numbers, being a mathematics major does not mean I am good with numbers, but I know I run PrBoom 2.something...