Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Milian

Thing ID? (ZDoom)

Hi all!
I'm building a map in Hexen mode for the first time. So please be patient with my question :-)

I want to make crossing a line activate an earthquake. I found the linedef action for earthquake and put all parameters. But I don't understand the "Thing ID". I have to give a number into the TID field.
So, what do I have to do?
Which thing do I have to place into the earthquake sector? What is the TID? How can I connect the linedef action to a sector with this TID?

Thanks

Milian.

(Edit: I forgot to mention that I work with doombuilder...)

Thing ID or TID as it is usually is a kind of a tag for objects. For the earthquake do following:

1. Create a map spot, give it TID 1
2. Run the earthquake setting TID to 1
3. Test

Done!

Grubber said:

That's where I looked first. But in fact, it says nothing to my problem.

Well the earthquake worked well on my local pc. But it didn't in ZDaemon. In ZDaemon, the earthquake mapspot has a strange behaviour. But according to their forum, ZDaemon should allow earthquake.

Anyway, I still don't understand, why I have to give a tag number to a teleport destination thing AND a sector.
Up to now I only knew the Doom-format tagging, linedef action --> target sector. It's a bit confusing to put target things in it and tag them, too...

Milian

Err...well, ZDaemon was based off ZDoom 1.23 or so, so some of the newer features may not work. If you want to make somethign for ZDaemon you have to restrict yourself to Boom or an older Zdoom cfg. That's probably your problem here.

Milian said:

I still don't understand, why I have to give a tag number to a teleport destination thing AND a sector.

You don't!

Up to 2.0.50+something ZDoom only used the Hexen method to tag teleport destinations. They are referenced by Tid only.
For newer versions Doom's old behavior was restored (because some maps had issues) and made more flexible. You can either use a tid (which is the preferred method) or a sector tag - but you also can combine both for special teleporter effects.

Up to now I only knew the Doom-format tagging, linedef action --> target sector. It's a bit confusing to put target things in it and tag them, too...

It is much more logical and flexible. If you think about it, you are tagging a teleport to the destination thing, not the sector it is in. The same for earthquakes. You specify the center of the quake, which logically is not a sector but just a position on the map - and a thing placed there is the easiest method to do it. Doom didn't use Tids because the teleporter is the only thing that would have needed them.

Milian said:

Well the earthquake worked well on my local pc. But it didn't in ZDaemon. In ZDaemon, the earthquake mapspot has a strange behaviour. But according to their forum, ZDaemon should allow earthquake.

Don't use zdaemon. Use Skulltag :P

Seriously though, if you are going to be doing ZDoom deathmatch mapping(As in hexen format and stuff), you will be ALOT better off using skulltag or the latest version of zdoom.