Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deldelda

How to make CyberDreams-type invisible platforms?

I've tried to do this ... by making the front and back sidedefs of the area (sector?) I wish to raise refer to the same sector, but it screws up the height in the whole room. I know there's some trick to this ... maybe it should be addressed in the DoomWorld editing pages.

An example of these platforms is on Cyberdreams map 29.

Oh - they have to face OUTWARD. Lemme try now ...

EDIT: They're still making the room into an invisible 'stands', if you will.

If you recall, I had this problem with my room (in myhouse.wad), way back when ... my bed was extending its height to the rest of the room, and I found out I made a few errors with the sidedefs. But this time, I'm doing it on purpose and trying to control it. I will upload it to http://www.geocities.com/adledled/Tortemi.zip. I must warn you, this was the first map I ever made. So it sucks. Bad. The part I'm trying to raise is at the top of the map, the three squares in that sector.

OMG I clicked the link and geocities let me have it!

Anyway, what nodebuilder did you use?

(btw, you need to lower unpeg the steptop textures so they appear at the bottom. Add an offset of -16, too)

Well, does WadAuthor have an auto-node-build feature in it? If yes then that :)

I have also re-done the nodes using DoomBuilder, but the 'grandstands' effect is still there.

And I fixed those unaligned textures :D

OK, I've downloaded BSP and it just doesn't seem to like me. Is there a good nodesbuilder that doesn't need DOS ad can easily fix these problems I'm having?

If you are doing special effects then any of the newer versions of BSP are the best to use(either that or DEEPBSP). Doom Builder should come with BSP 5.1, wich supports all special effects.

Yeah, the properties of the invisi-platforms extend to the edge of the new surrounding sector. If I put a square sector just one unit greater in each direction around each individual box, I can make it work.

deldelda said:
maybe it should be addressed in the DoomWorld editing pages.

It is, but nobody ever takes the trouble to fucking read it. Right?

Sprites/Flats | Window above Window | Other 3D Appearances | Transparant Door | Shadowcasting | Fake Bridge | 3D Bridge | Double 3D Bridge | Two-storied Room | Swinging Doors

Invisible Platforms = Where?

I know, they are detailed in several of those sections, but I think it deserves its own page.

I know it's the nodesbuilder that's the problem, but when I try to use BSP, it quits right away (It said on the editing pages that BSP is the best nodesbuilder to use for special effects). I'm running Windows XP, and that's probably the problem. Do I have to Start-->Run to get it to work?

deldelda said:
I know it's the nodesbuilder that's the problem, but when I try to use BSP, it quits right away (It said on the editing pages that BSP is the best nodesbuilder to use for special effects). I'm running Windows XP, and that's probably the problem. Do I have to Start-->Run to get it to work?

I use the Windows version of BSP, BSP-W32.exe or something like that.

There's a quick nodebuild and export nodebuild under the DoomBuilder's confiuration menu. What should be where?

PS I used bsp-w32 and the room was still glitched. Of course, who knows if I used it right. It was the one that came with DoomBuilder.

EDIT: Lovin' the custom title :D

Since this topic has somewhat turned, I figured I'd add a question of my own:

Using DoomBuilder, I always get nodebuilder errors when exporting my maps. They run in Doom just fine, so it has to be something wrong with the map that isn't immediately apparent.

And yes, I've checked my linedefs and sectors, and everything's in working order-- one map only has three sectors so far, and it already gets these errors.

I will in a while; what I want to do first is follow some tutorials step-by-step to see if I can get something to compile without errors. If it does, then I'll at least be able to narrow it down to whatever I'm doing with BSP-W32. There's pretty much nothing in my map except for a few walls and a player start, so it has to be something fundamental.

On a different note, I just finished my first bridge! You can go over and under it! I feel so proud ... now to try a double bridge ;)

Back on yet another note: I figure the nodebuilder error has to do with my command line settings. Maybe the error shows up just because I haven't specified "noreject"?