• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

Your Freedoms Are Being Eroded

First of all, check out this ban cooked up by the RIAA and friends:

http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,65704,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_2

Particularly disturbing is this little snippet:
However, under the proposed language, viewers would not be allowed to use software or devices to skip commericals or promotional announcements "that would otherwise be performed or displayed before, during or after the performance of the motion picture," like the previews on a DVD.

So technicaly, you could be fined or possibly jailed for skipping the commercials on your DVD.

Also, we have here this article:

http://www.sundayherald.com/45957

Yeah, because Steven Spielburg is destroying our morals with Oscar-winning flims! I think you all can look forward to your children living in a world where they never have to hear a curse word because those who say them will be shot!

When I hear the word 'morality' I get a gag reflex. Which once again reminds me that I hate all religious fundamentalists equally.

All your Americans thinking of moving to Canada - fuck that, move to Belgium. Land of a thousand beer brands, semi-legal pot, and at least as much personal freedom and possibilities as the U.S. without any oppressive asshat conservatives in the government.

I like it here.

Heh, I remember Bahdko was trying to convice me to move there. But really, despite all the advantages, that place seems a bit too alien for me, if you know what I mean. I'm not a fast language learner for one thing...

I think learning a new language is worth the effort, even though you'd fare pretty well in Belgium speaking only English.

Ahhhh right-wing moralists. The most useless political movement ever.

“ABC crossed the line by airing at least 20 ‘f’ words and 12 ‘s’ words during prime-time viewing hours!,” says the evangelical group American Family Association, which claims it has 2.3 million members and is one of the groups leading the revamped charge against “immorality”. “We believe ABC should have aired their salute to heroes without violating broadcast decency laws,” it said.

you take issue with curse words huh? Nothing else bothered you about that film? hmmmm? Please grow up.

and for the love of god, it's not a 'salute to heroes' it's very much an anti-war film, and anyone with any kind of grasp on reality would know... never mind.

In September, regulators fined CBS £299,000 for the live broadcast in January in which singer Janet Jackson’s breast was bared briefly during half-time at the Super Bowl . Jackson’s “wardrobe malfunction” prompted accusations of immorality from conservative activists, some viewers, members of Congress and commentators.

Rove, Bush’s top political adviser, says: “I think people are concerned about the coarseness of our culture, about what they see on TV and in movies.”

oh look, their complaining about that fucking booby flash again! Jesus Christ! I wish that was the most disturbing thing I've seen on prime time TV. and the idea that somebody childhood being warped by a split second titty flash is so retarded I feel guilty making fun of it.

Robert Knight, of the curiously named Concerned Women for America, told Associated Press recently that Kinsey was akin to the notorious Nazi pseudo- scientist Dr Josef Mengele.

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
In a better world, Godwins Law apply to real life, and be enforced with a orbital strike cannon.

The American Family Association also calls for a general boycott of Disney, because the company has encouraged gays to visit its theme parks, and of food giant Procter & Gamble for hiring gays.

What is wrong with you people? and since when is it any of your fucking concern if a company hiring fags? Maybe it they where only hiring fags. But that's not the case is it?

thanks guys, but you can (and problby will) burn in hell.

Hey, it's the land of the free... therefore, anyone in America is free to take away the rights of the apathetic.

And no, complaining on an online forum does not count as "caring".

your only free as long as you want the same freedoms of those in power. ok maybe they enjoy more freedom than us. hell its an american tradition!
look at the settelers, you were free to do as you pleased as long as it was the same as they did it. if not... then i guess i am a witch.

what a world, but it has been worse before.
the AFA, those fuckers can... "suck my cock!" had a woman who was a member came in and bitch, bitch, bitch about HP supporting gays. i told her, "i really dont care what brands yoyu buy, but i am sure our cannosn are farily non-gay"

Everyone's freedom's will be eroded eventually, global governance is a frightening possibility. Americans have a really strange way of handling things. Like wow, a tit on tv, omg it's natural female anatomy, EVIL!!! America really needs to end this fad called Jesus, it's getting real fuckin old.

This is nothing new, in fact this sort of thing seems to happen all the time in American history after a period of excess. I mean, wouldn't you call prohibition and the Comics Code Alliance(I think that's what it was called) censoring comics erosion of freedom? Or how about the stricter attitude about sexuality after World War II when in the roaring 20's sex and sexuality were seen in a more liberal way? In fact, sexual education and our sexuality as a whole has been eroded since WWII and it still hasn't caught up with the way it was in the 20's. The 60's liberalism led into the more conservative 70's and 80's. I wouldn't worry, a liberal movement is bound to swing on through sooner or later.

Danarchy said:
Yeah, because Steven Spielburg is destroying our morals with Oscar-winning flims! I think you all can look forward to your children living in a world where they never have to hear a curse word because those who say them will be shot!

Morality isn't the point, just a means in order to develop the tools that allow censuring for economic and political reasons. The masses of the unwashed (be they rich or poor) will feel tempted to support moralizing proposals because it'll grant them a way to vent and avenge their own lazy mediocre lack of worth in the combined might of repressive unity. It's a process that's been quite effective through the ages; hiding facts beneath simplified transcendent mantles of pretense, discarding and deleting multiple and particular views, critiques and proposals as nonsense, conspiracies, insanity and evil.

I highly doubt this will pass. Hell, if it did, even Bush is smart enough to veto it. Honestly, I do not believe they will take this bill seriously, the reprecussions of passing it would be tremendous. They sure as fuck know that they would not get elected again if they OKed this shit.

I think airwaves and the internet shouldn't be censored. I think anything should broadcastable. If ABC wants to broadcast Girls Gone Wild Uncesored, fine by me. Solution? Dont use tv and internet as a babysitter. The only fault is yours if kids see stuff you dont like.

You dont control anything past your totalotarian house hold. Get the FUCK over it.

Captain Red said:

you take issue with curse words huh? Nothing else bothered you about that film? hmmmm? Please grow up.

Heh, that reminds me of a story that I related on another forum:

I've been meaning to relate this story my freind told me. Okay, he works in a Software Etc., right? So one day he and his friend who is also the manager were there working and this kid comes in. The kid wants to buy San Andreas but they won't let him because he's under 18. So he goes and gets his mom. His mom comes back with him and this is how the conversation goes:

MANAGER: Okay, I have to warn you ma'am, this game contains voilence - people being shot, run down, you name it -, lots of drug usage, sexual innuendo, and prostitution. Are you sure you want to buy this for your kid?

MOM: Yeah, that's fine. He sees all that stuff on the TV anyway. Wait, I have one question. Does it contain any bad language.

MANAGER: Uh..yes

MOM: Oh, well then I'm not going to buy it for him!

MANAGER: Ma'am, if your morals are so twisted that you'll let your son see violence, sex, and drug usage, but you won't allow him to hear bad language, then I want you to get the Hell out of my store!

MOM: WHAT!? How dare you, I'm never coming here again!

MANAGER: That's the point!

I bet she was one of those crazy right-wingers.

BBG said:

I highly doubt this will pass. Hell, if it did, even Bush is smart enough to veto it. Honestly, I do not believe they will take this bill seriously, the reprecussions of passing it would be tremendous. They sure as fuck know that they would not get elected again if they OKed this shit.

Considering that big companies would benefit from this, I'm pretty sure it will pass and Bush will endorse it.

insertwackynamehere said:

I think airwaves and the internet shouldn't be censored. I think anything should broadcastable. If ABC wants to broadcast Girls Gone Wild Uncesored, fine by me. Solution? Dont use tv and internet as a babysitter. The only fault is yours if kids see stuff you dont like.

It's lucky you don't live in the UK then. (watershed, PC nonsense, editing of films/shows, pulling programs from the schedules because of some news event etc.)

Danarchy said:

story

Heh, reminds me of a certain film...

[mothersagainstcanada]"Mindless gratutious violence is fine, as long as people don't say any naughty words!!"[/mothersagainstcanada]

Job said:

Christianity would be far better off without Christians.

This christianity that you see doing this is not christianity. Seriously, this crap would make Jesus cry.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Considering that big companies would benefit from this, I'm pretty sure it will pass and Bush will endorse it.

Yeah, and how long before the Supreme Court owns the fuck out of it? Seriously, it's quite easy to see that this bill is unconstitutional.

I support the French in not supporting us. And that means we gotta be pretty freaking bad for me to want to support the French.

Danarchy said:

(short scene about GTA: San Andreas and customer relations)

This reminds me so much of the Acts of Gord.

(Customer) "I'm never coming to your store again!"
(The Gord) "Noooo, I've lost another deadbeat! Please don't leave! Nooooo~ooo!"

The Ultimate DooMer said:

It's lucky you don't live in the UK then. (watershed, PC nonsense, editing of films/shows, pulling programs from the schedules because of some news event etc.)

Sounds just like the USA.

Csonicgo
This christianity that you see doing this is not christianity. Seriously, this crap would make Jesus cry.

Heh, yeah. I don't know why the fuck Christians never dropped the Old Testament, since the the OT and the NT completely cancel each other out. The OT is all about God telling the Jews to fuckign murder everyone and fear him. The NT is all about Jesus saying love your brother, keep your own beliefs, and not to lay judgement down on others.

One of my favorite verses is Matthew 7:3-5

BBG said:

Uhh, these are the guys who got him re-elected, I think he is going to take them VERY seriously.

Another indication of the red culture scare is the action of one of the US’s newly elected politicians, Tom Coburn, a senator from Oklahoma, says Rich. As a state-elected politician, he attacked NBC in 1997 for encouraging “irresponsible sexual behaviour” and for taking “network TV to an all-time low with full-frontal nudity, violence and profanity”. His anger was prompted by the prime-time airing of another Spielberg film, Schindler’s List, about the Holocaust.

.....Wow. Just wow.

These guys should have their own TV network. It could be called, "Amazing Bigot Adventures in Not Facing Reality, Fuckhead Edition."

I mean.....Jesus fucking Christ. People suck.

BBG said:

Bush doesn't need to worry about getting re-elected anymore.

BBG said:

Yeah, and how long before the Supreme Court owns the fuck out of it? Seriously, it's quite easy to see that this bill is unconstitutional.

And how long before the right-wingers and censorship-mongs own the fuck out of the Supreme Court? "The system" is done for.

WildWeasel said:

This reminds me so much of the Acts of Gord.

(Customer) "I'm never coming to your store again!"
(The Gord) "Noooo, I've lost another deadbeat! Please don't leave! Nooooo~ooo!"

Heh, I love that page. Has it been updated in the past year...?

Danarchy said:

Sounds just like the USA.

Heh, yeah. I don't know why the fuck Christians never dropped the Old Testament, since the the OT and the NT completely cancel each other out. The OT is all about God telling the Jews to fuckign murder everyone and fear him. The NT is all about Jesus saying love your brother, keep your own beliefs, and not to lay judgement down on others.

One of my favorite verses is Matthew 7:3-5

I have two theories on that. One, the Old Testament is really useful for putting the New Testament in context. I mean, you've got to know what the political climate was at the time to fully understand what Jesus was speaking out against. Two, the Christian Right's just plain evil and they want to use the Old Testament to spread their message of hate. Okay, one's a little more pessimistic than the other, but when you look at the Christian Right, it's hard not to think such things about them.

Ultraviolet said:

And how long before the right-wingers and censorship-mongs own the fuck out of the Supreme Court?

The corporations probably own it already, like they do the federal courts (Ohio, anyone?). So the bill will pass.