• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dsm

Resurrection of Evil details

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=27613

Interesting stuff:

* 11 sp levels.

* three new monsties. (seems we've already seen all the new monsters in the last batch of screenies).

* three new weapons. Aside from the db shotgun, they're gonna have a Half Life 2 gravity gun ripoff called "The Grabber". The third new weapon is unannounced as of now.

* The environment suit "makes a return from the classic Doom" (rather, it makes a jump from the first two Quakes and enters the Doom 3 universe) - it allows you to walk through contaminated areas unharmed for a limited amount of time.

* four mp maps.

* Support for eight players in mp (we know already - I just mentioned it for those of you who might not have picked up on that yet).
My opinion: I don't like the fact that they rip off the HL2 gravity gun, unless it works noticably different.
The three new enemies are probably the new lost soul, the Bruiser thingy and the Vulgar - guess we won't see a new Baron this time around :-(

There may well be some things not mentioned in that list, because they want to keep them as a suprise. I mean, surely there'll be some kind of new boss in the final level (unless it's that thing we briefly glimpse at the end of Doom 3).

NiGHTMARE said:

I mean, surely there'll be some kind of new boss in the final level.

I don't want to be pesimist, but, Quake 2 mission pack 1 has new monsters but no new boss.

Thanks for the link, DSM, although I knew most of this already. Still sounds neat, though. However, the article mentions four new monsters, rather than three. :D I wonder how the grabber is going to work compared to the gravity gun from HL2?

This expansion is surely taking a "drastic" turn towards oldschool doom style. However I am really sceptic about the monitor monster (the Monister?) and the grabber.

Snarboo said:

I wonder how the grabber is going to work compared to the gravity gun from HL2?

I wonder the same thing - Doom 3 doesn't have alt-fire modes and the Grav gun requires an alt-fire mode to work the way it does.

The article itself mentions four new monsters? Hm, I only managed to get to that little summary on the page I linked to - haven't actually been able to read the article itself because I can't find the link to it. Does it require an account or some shit like that?

Oh no.
Not another dumb gravity weapon :(

The grav gun concept could actually be really cool if you could pick up 'lightweight' enemies and toss them - would really exploit the ragdoll physics and allow you to toy around with the monsters.

What I don't like about it's inclusion is that they couldn't have found a more blatant rip-off to put into the game. Stinks from miles away of trying to win HL2 fans over by copying an element from HL2.

The little summary mentions four new monsters ;). Maybe they edited it after you read it?

NiGHTMARE said:

The little summary mentions four new monsters ;). Maybe they edited it after you read it?

I suppose they did, because I distinctly remember that it said three new monsters since I remember the saddened realization that the Baron couldn't possibly be in RoE since I'd already seen three new monsters in screenies and none of those were the Baron.

But now I come to think of it, the screenies showed four new monsters iirc: the archvile-type monster (Vulgar), the classic Lost Soul, Mr. Monitor Shambler, and that floating Cyberdemon type guy.

I don´t like the idea of a gravity gun rippoff as well. Not that it wouldn´t be fun to have such a weapon to play arround with, but everyone will pick on it being a HL2 ripoff.

I read somewhere that the floating Baron-like monster is called Hell Hunter.

dsm said:

* The environment suit "makes a return from the classic Doom" (rather, it makes a jump from the first two Quakes and enters the Doom 3 universe) - it allows you to walk through contaminated areas unharmed for a limited amount of time.

Why, it was called Radiation Suit in classic Doom, but apart from that it works the same like Quake1/2 environment suit.

I get the feeling that iD and Nerve, knowing that the gravity gun was in Half-Life 2, will do something to seperate the grabber from it's cousin. I would highly suspect that it can pick up monsters, or lock onto them. That would seem like the more Doom-y way of handling a gravity gun, and maybe that's what that one weapon was with the words "locked" on it?

Now, as for how it would work without an alternate fire key, there are two ways: The number one way would be to hit the fire button and then lock onto the monster/object. The weapon will then hold the monster until the fire button is pressed again.

The other method would require the player to hold down the fire key so the weapon can lock on and then hold the monster/object. Releasing the key launches the monster/object. If this method is used, perhaps the weapon will start to shake violently after so long and overload?

Note that this is all speculation on my part.

So the new monsters are tv face, floating guy, vulgars and the new lost souls? They should have more than that IMO. Ah well, not like I'm buying it anyways:P

Snarboo said:
I get the feeling that iD and Nerve, knowing that the gravity gun was in Half-Life 2, will do something to seperate the grabber from it's cousin. I would highly suspect that it can pick up monsters, or lock onto them. That would seem like the more Doom-y way of handling a gravity gun, and maybe that's what that one weapon was with the words "locked" on it?

That would be pretty cool if that were the case. HL2's grav gun only had the ability to pick up live enemies and toss them in the end and it basically killed them off once you picked them up - imagine picking up an enemy and watch it twist and try to struggle out of the grasp of the weapon - then *fwoosh-THUD!* you launch the bastard into a wall >:-D

Now, as for how it would work without an alternate fire key, there are two ways: The number one way would be to hit the fire button and then lock onto the monster/object. The weapon will then hold the monster until the fire button is pressed again.

Sounds logical to me - it won' exactly make it useful for puzzle solving (picking up and stacking crates), but it'd do the trick for killing stuff and that's what Doom 3 is all about anyway. Leave the annoying puzzle solving to Half Life :-P

The other possibility doesn't sound like a good way though - I hope they aren't doing it like that. It'd make the weapon cumbersome enough to use to cause a lot of frustration. Frustration = Bad gameplay experience which can easily fuck up an entire game even if it has so many other fun gameplay mechanics.

snagged this from planetdoom

# Characters: Vulgars - The same as Imps only faster and they do a lot more wall crawling.
# Bruisers - Half mecahnical monsters with computer monitors for there mouth, they have a tendency to hide as wall monitors and then bust through the walls after you.
# The Forgotten - Same as the Lost Souls in Classic Doom
# Hell Hunters - Like Floating legless HellKnights, these monsters have the ability to warp time.
# The Artifact - Allows the player to manipulate time by slowing the world down, also increases damage and makes you invincible.
# Environment suits - They will have flashlights mounted on them.

New MultiPlayer Features:
# Four new MP maps - Two are in Hell, one in the ancient civilization, then another base type map. It was also mentioned that the Maps will be considerably larger than DOOM 3's.
# 8 Player limit

and here's atrick to spot the bruiser from all the other monitors. just look for the one dipslaying teeth :D

"Hell Hunters - Like Floating legless HellKnights, these monsters have the ability to warp time.'

Like the Cherub. It might be dropped.

Shapeless said:

# The Artifact - Allows the player to manipulate time by slowing the world down, also increases damage and makes you invincible.

I smell bullet time

That bruiser idea sounds a bit ridiculous, and the Hell Hunter is a pretty lazy way of creating a new monster (though I suppose it's a small step from just recolouring another creature :P)

Shapeless said:

Vulgars - The same as Imps only faster and they do a lot more wall crawling.

Oh come on. We already have the Wraith, which is an Imp clone.

Darkman 4 said:

I agree.

Hopefully 95% of the enemys wont be Imps or Vulgars/Wraiths etc.like in Doom 3.

They should make a Cacodemon clone[like a Pain Elemental]

Darkman 4 said:

And the maggot.
We need more medium/large monsters like the mancubus and hellknight, imo.

You guys realize they aren't going to reveal EVERYTHING about it in one article like that?

I think its guranteed we'll at least get one new sub boss, probably the Baron Of Hell, I hope.

And it ********ly sounds cool. And since this takes place on Mars, theoretically the HOE mod can take place at the same time, and they won't interconnect, so it'll be uh...cool.

Heh

Oh and, you guys bitch way too much.

They really needed to move this out of the tech base setting, which was done to death in doom 3. What happened to hell on earth? Or actually any other setting to show off the doom 3 engine would be great.

3rd weapon, hopefully it's a railgun.

[edit] Also not to sound really negative but the hell knight with no legs looks like something a fan project would put in a mod. If you have the raw talent of id, why wouldn't you just come up with a new monster design for the upper torso?

What!!! Doom 3 can't have a plot device, since according to certain people it has no plot!

:P