Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nick Perrin

Vote for Half-Life 2 as game of the year

Linguica said:

Thats what I do in Operation Flashpoint all the time

Oh...I heard that game is really brutal. Is that true?

I played the Flashpoint demo, and yeah. It's fucking relentless. If ever there would be a game where there's the strongest relationship between stealth and survival, that would be it. The game's AI is incredibly aware and the lengths you have to go to to secure a single objective is like brain surgery.

Snarboo said:

Oh...I heard that game is really brutal. Is that true?

It's really "realistic" so the only way to win is to be smarter than the foe, usually this isn't an obscene challenge but it does take some getting used to.

Numbermind said:

The security guards were unofficially named "Barney" in the original HL. In Blue Shift, the manual names you as "Officer Calhoun". At any rate-- if it wasn't THE Barney, maybe it was one of the 200 clones of himself walking around the facility.

Wrong. At the intro it says:

"SUBJECT:
B. Calhoun"

Barney Calhoun!!
Also, you are trying to get into a locked door at the beginning, and in HL you see barney knocking on that same door. In Blue-Shift you see Gordon Freeman in that same tram looking at you.

Doom Marine said:

Hmmmm, Ultimate Doom had far better level designs.

Grazza said:

No it didn't.

I'll second that, that one level with the lava and the elevators and the cyberdemon drove me crazy.

Linguica said:

Spike TV awards? Wow who cares

The only thing that makes it ever so slightly interesting is the fact that Snoop Dogg is hosting it. I might peek in, just to see how stoned he is while hosting.

Nick Perrin said:

Play HL2 and you will vote for it instead.

I have no intentions to play HL2.The first one is overrated and My Computer is a piece of Crap.

NiGHTMARE said:

No.

I disagree.Most people only remember the original Half-Life because of CounterStrike anyway.

Nick Perrin said:

Play HL2 and you will vote for it instead.

Let people make up their own minds, and please stop telling them what they should think/like, etc. It's as if you're being paid to plug HL2 at every opportunity.

Grazza said:

Let people make up their own minds, and please stop telling them what they should think/like, etc. It's as if you're being paid to plug HL2 at every opportunity.

Sorry... You're right. I was just trying to make the point of how good the game is, but then again I love that style of game. It's my favorite type of game, story-driven FPS's like that.

Hmm... getting paid to plug HL2 sounds pretty nice... might look into that. ;)

*NOTE*
I agree the first one WAS overrated, however I never played it when it first came out, so a lot of the stuff in the game I expected from an FPS already. This one though, if you play it before a lot of other FPS's try to copy it, will not seem overrated.

I would say the opposite. The first one was clearly the revolutionary title, as it was the first fps to feature a story driven plot, NPCs and scripted events all wrapped up in one amazing cinematic package. It introduced the next era of fps, which were all just run and shoot before that.

Half Life 2 however, I ask you what is so revolutionary about this one that has not already been done. Please don't say anything like "Physics" or "It just has all the elements". It may have "all th elements" but that means they've existed before. It sounds like HL2 is just a great game that follows in its predecessor's footsteps, but isn't the major leap that the original was.

The only reason Hl1 is "overrated" is because HL is synonymous with Counterstrike, and CS is overrated.

That doesn't make it less fun than HL1. In fact HL2 is a lot more fun. Sure HL1 made the big steps but HL2 polishes it and adds a shitload of great new stuff.

Danarchy said:
You can't be serious.

Yes he can; as far as play goes, DOOM II is, overall, more intense than DOOM... many of the levels are more worked out than their DOOM counterparts. I like both games, but I certainly don't find it odd if someone feels DOOM II is better in one way or another.

Scuba Steve said:

Half Life 2 however, I ask you what is so revolutionary about this one that has not already been done. Please don't say anything like "Physics" or "It just has all the elements". It may have "all th elements" but that means they've existed before. It sounds like HL2 is just a great game that follows in its predecessor's footsteps, but isn't the major leap that the original was.

I agree.I asked what is so great about HL2 in another forum and the responses I got were "It has a Gravity gun" or "its physics are incredible".Judging from what I heard, Half Life 2 is just the same as the first in a different setting with "Incredible" Physics and with a New Graphic engine.

Then again, The same could be said with 95% of the sequels that come out now.

NiGHTMARE said:

No.

I dunno, I think when two prominent different gaming magazines give it 11/10, it's rather overrated. I mean, fuck. Whats the point of even having the scale if you're going to do that? This is a set scale of numbers determining it's worth as a game with average as a median. You can't just lay arbitrary numbers down there! THATS LIKE FUCKING GOD IN THE FACE!

That, and the fact that everyone and their mothers have rated it "Best Game of all Eternity and Even Better Than Sex". Seriously, there are probably over two dozen games I like better than it, and at least a handful of FPSs that are cooler, plus most everyone I know is at least slightly dismissive about it. I don't think a game like that deserves Bestest Game-Sex in the World.

myk said:

Yes he can; as far as play goes, DOOM II is, overall, more intense than DOOM...

I dunno. Doom 2 was intense in the sense of "holy crap I'm in this huge room/outdoor area while being shot out by a dozen well-armed monsters from just as many angles", but Doom was just as intense in the sense of "holy crap, it's rather dark and eerie in here, I bet there's some kind of monster around the next turn. Holy crap, holy crap, HOLY CRAP! I just know it's going to pop out and kill me!". I think creating an environment that makes the player jumpy as Hell trumps by far just making a bunch of huge rooms and filling them with tough enemies.

And why the Hell am I even saying this, the original comment was about its level design. In that sense, Doom was better because the architecture brought out a great sense of (sur)realism which made you that much more peery. Doom 2 was, like I said, centered around large rooms with tough/numerous monsters to combat. The architecture was rather sub par, and the fact that they attempted to actualy emulate cities and failed miserably makes it a rather large dissapointment.

It is the better game to edit with, though.

Nick Perrin said:

That doesn't make it less fun than HL1. In fact HL2 is a lot more fun. Sure HL1 made the big steps but HL2 polishes it and adds a shitload of great new stuff.

Half Life NOW... of course it's better... but Half Life of 1998? For it's Time Half Life 1 was far more significant than Half Life 2 is for this time. Also, the "importance" of a game can't be measured until it's effect has been felt. Do I think HL2 will have that big an impact on games like HL1 did? No.

Nick Perrin said:

story-driven FPS's like that.

Actually. I think the most frequent complaint about hl2 is, aside from the bugs and problems, that the storyline is either really lame or almost non-existant.

If almost everyone who's ever played a game likes it, and a tiny handful of people dislike it, that does *not* mean it's overrated. It just means there are a small number of people whose tastes in this area differs from the most common view.

It's like saying "the concept of the world being round is overrated" just because there's a small number of people who still insist that it's flat.

Now a game like the Sims, which has sold literally millions of copies and scored well in many magazines (but not all; the UK edition of PC Zone hates it to the extent of disqualifying it and its add-ons from their monthly sales chart ;)) but almost anyone with a decent taste in games hates with a passion, certainly is overrated.

It's fine if plenty of people like a game, or even if most people like a game. The fact that tons of people like Half-Life is testament to the fact that it is one of the better games out there. My POINT is that pretty much all the "autorities" on gaming have rated it as the best fucking thing sinced spliced code. That's just assinine and untrue. That's being overrated.

But if the majority of people prefer Half-life to any other FPS', which is currently still the case, then it still can't be called overrated.

Anyway, how about naming some FPS' which are better than Half-life instead of just saying "oh, it's overrated"? Since people here have been saying it was overrated by the people who reviewed, these better games would need to predate it as well (since the reviewers most likely didn't have access to time machines).

And remember, these other FPS' need to be better in the opinion of the majority of gamers, not just your own personal opinion.

Half-Life is not a better game by some objective measure because more people like it. A majority opinion is not a "true" opinion; it is a personal opinion shared by a majority of people. If I say something is overrated, I am clearly making a statement about how my own personal opinion compares to the opinion of others. Now take this ridiculous statement:

Now a game like the Sims, which has sold literally millions of copies and scored well in many magazines (but not all; the UK edition of PC Zone hates it to the extent of disqualifying it and its add-ons from their monthly sales chart ;)) but almost anyone with a decent taste in games hates with a passion, certainly is overrated.

Yeah, let's define objective truth as opinion held by someone with "decent taste". Tell you what, I think I'll define "decent taste" as "the opinion that Half-Life sucks". Problem solved.

myk said:

Yes he can; as far as play goes, DOOM II is, overall, more intense than DOOM... many of the levels are more worked out than their DOOM counterparts. I like both games, but I certainly don't find it odd if someone feels DOOM II is better in one way or another.

I agree.

First, I never said Half-life was a "better game", I said it wasn't overrated... and there is such a large difference there that no, it isn't just pedantics. Okay so lots of reviews called it as the best game ever, but even if it were somehow a proven fact (which is, of course, impossible) that it was the fifth game ever, that still wouldn't make it overrated. A game which is only 'beaten' by four similar games is not overrated, even if many people proclaim it as the best game ever made; opinions are allowed some leeway when it comes to the truth.

You can't really even use terms like "better" when talking purely objectively, since "better" is usually influenced by emotion and opinion, which are subjective. In objective terms, Half-life can never be the best, so surely it should be somewhat obvious that we're (or at least I am) talking in subjective terms, and I never claimed otherwise.

I mean, why must all conversations be subjective? We're not professionals, we're just a bunch of people posting here in our free time, hence there's no need to be completely objective all the time. I'd find this place immensely boring if everyone was always just talking facts and figures and never expressed any opinions or emotions. In fact, by saying "I agree" in your post, you've made it subjective.

But if we're to go into objective mode, we can describe how good a game is by it's success. I'm sure you'd agree that a successful game is the one which sells a huge number of copies and appeals to more people than it repels. One meaning of 'best' is "serving the desired purpose or end", so if Valve's desired purpose was to make a game which the vast majority of people loved, it could in fact be described as "the best", since were more successful in reaching that goal than any other FPS (at least on the PC).

Objectively speaking, the Sims is a highly sucessful game. Subjectively speaking, which is what I was doing, it's terrible. "Anyone with decent taste in games" was really the wrong phrase to use - what I meant was "anyone who's played a wide range of games". The majority of people who've bought and play the Sims are housewives and teenage girls, the majority of whom have little gaming experience... and that is an objective fact, not a subjective opinion.

It's the same with Halo and it's sequel. They're highly successful games, but a large number of people who proclaim them to be the greatest games ever actually have little experience with other FPS'. A lot of Halo 2 fanboys probably consider PC gamers to be geeks.

Half-life, on the other hand, is highly successful AND most of the people who've played it have experience with other, similar games. Having a frame of reference enables someone to give a qualified opinion, whereas the opinion of someone who has little or nothing to use as a comparison is far more easily dismissed. They're still entitled to their opinion, of course, but that opinion is of much less use and worth to other people.

I think you have to consider CS when talking about HL's success. Like earlier stated in this thread: to many people CS = HL

As a hardcore Doom fan, I have to say Half Life 2 is the shit. The story is great, the scenes are incredible, the fights are great fun and different every time. The AI exists.

After Doom 3's repeatable scripted scenes, I have to say Half Life is the better game.

Don't want to believe me, buy it, try it.

-E

Numbermind said:

Can you explain what other killer game with a massive following and red-hot hype is scheduled to release in the next 43 days?

World of Warcraft?

-E

Also Lord of the Rings - The Battle for Middle Earth.

On the consoles,Jak 3, Goldeneye - Rogue Agent, Killzone, Metroid Prime 2, Call of Duty: Finest Hour and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 all fit that description.