Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ChaosOverlord

Doom64 features true 3d floors?

I've seen a few areas in that game that would've been impossible to create without true 3d floors... though it seems they were mostly just used for level design.. although I do remember a switch that seemingly hovers in the air.. (about 32 off the ground) and it does not connect to the ceiling either... that would make it true 3d right? I'm just curious, it's not that important...

although I do remember a switch that seemingly hovers in the air.. (about 32 off the ground) and it does not connect to the ceiling either... that would make it true 3d right?

The hovering, seemingly 3D switch can be created without true 3D features. Create 4 linedefs that will constitute your switch "sector". Assign the MAIN texture as your switch texture (e.g., SW1COMP). Lower unpeg them, y-offset them by 32, and make them impassable.

The trick is to have the switch "sector" at a height that the player can never look down into from above or up into from below. Having it at 32 above the ground will satisfy the latter requirement (provided there is no stairway or lower sector nearby). Having the top part of the "sector" at 96 (i.e., 32 above ground + 64 of the texture) will satisfy the former requirements (again, provided there are no higher sectors nearby).

Voila! It appears as if a solid block (namely the switch "sector") is magically suspended in the air, appearing in 3D.

You can use this same trick to create sections of walls that appear as 3D sections.

Yes, but they do have true 3d floors. In many levels, they use it as part of the design in levels such as crosses and things like that, not using texture offset tricks. Also, they have the ability to draw floor textures on the ground that you can walk over and under. (I forgot which level, but it also has that hovering switch)

Uh yeah, there are quite a lot of levels in Doom64 that have true 3D.

It's funny how some of the bugs from the original game are still there. Have you noticed how bullets and sometimes even rockets (iirc) sometimes get absorbed by lower walls?