Grazza

Miscellaneous demos (part 1) [please post in part 3 instead]

:(
tried: prboom224/glboom224/prboom230/doom2/eternity5-331 no dice
exits on 'I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11' -- stderr.txt
Doom2.exe just crashes.
even tried prboom with the deusf'd wad.
--------
okay, now I'm perplexed. It does the same thing on my other computer too.
even tried 640x480.
I can PLAY the wad, but the demo doesn't work.
You guys are running winXP?(even though I wouldn't think that would make a difference)
What is signal 11 in Prboom terms?
one of those weird demos, I guess. (IIRC, that wad is not bug free)

Opulent said:
Grazza, the area51 demo won't playback for me.
Does it work for you?

Works fine all the way for me... and I'm using Windows 98 and Doom2. Did you try another copy of the demo? Unless your systems have quite similar specs the only thing in common is the demo... unless it's the dry Arizona air... or maybe some weird substance escaped from Area 51, which might well be close to your place, out there in the desert.

It was recorded on my XP desktop machine. I have just tested it on my Win98 machine: worked fine with prboom 2.2.4 (standard version) and Doom2.exe. Edit: also tested OK with my brand new notebook, which presumably has whatever the latest build of XP is.

File sizes and CRCs:
area51.wad (before deusf): 2,637,056 bytes; 19da6c03
ar511602.lmp: 135,630 bytes; ea1c8254

man, this is strange.
verified the CRCs, even verified a clean doom2 install.
tried deusf'd wad with doom95 (thinking that it might be directx/nvidia related). that doesn't work either.
I'm completely stumped now... only thing I have left to try is to boot to XP and try it there.
(Doug closes his eyes and imagines those fences, the trademark "Hey, Get him!" sounds, the moving floors, and stylish teleporters... and Grazza chaingunning like a madman.)
:(

AH HA! conquered!
thought about it objectively for just a second and realized that it has to be the demo file.
tried a couple of things and my third option was successful. LPMC convert the demo to text then back to binary.
Yay... not your best work(looked like a first successful exit to me), but I really enjoyed this one. hadn't seen the map the whole way through, so I was riveted on the screen. :)
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/ar511602b.zip

I was thinking of suggesting that, but couldn't see any reason why it should work.

It was my second exit without any missed monsters (first was 18:05; missed a telefrag and needed to berserk some later barons, etc.).

Here are seven Nightmare demos on Doom Lands by B.P.R.D. Mostly quite easy, but map08 was a bit of a struggle. Most of my time was actually spent attempting map09 (with no luck).

I decided at least to do something on Doom Lands map09, after all the time I'd spent on it. Here's UV Pacifist in 1:11. I think this one should be quite entertaining to watch. :)

Kristian Ronge said:

BTW, how about a CC2 demo pack (if it ever comes out?) ;-)

What, the wad or the demopack? ;)

Here are three short demos:

Hell Gate NM (+Pacifist) in 0:14. Running between demons mainly.

DOOMED to Run Amok v1.1 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:22. Run to the exit and "bump" the cyber out of the way.

Titan Manor (one of the Master Levels - manor.wad) by Jim Flynn, UV Pacifist in 0:35. A switch trick, and then a whole lot of luck needed not to get blocked from then on. Easy enough if you take your time, but I wasn't happy with the idea of a 0:4x exit.

Kristian Ronge said:

Sorry it took so long to reply, I'm going through "Eternal DooM" and map 20 was a real bitch -- it took me almost two days to stroll around finding all the swtiches, monsters, and secrets (okay, I had to use an editor to find out that green torch/teleporting Arch-Vile thing). :-)

Haha, don't feel bad about that. I've never finished eternal map30 at all because I could never figure out where to go. Granted I could go consult a demo walkthrough of the level, but I'm usually pretty intuitive about noticing possible secret areas (or perhaps that's all in my head) and this map definitely stumped me. This may be the only megawad I've never completely finished because of it.

That might be an interesting topic... "which megawads have you started, but never finished and why (excluding the ones that are so bad that you quit after 5 minutes)?"

Grazza said:

Here are three short demos:

oooh, something to truly enjoy, now that I've cold-turkeyed from HL2.

That Hellgate NM speed + pacifist was very nice. Very nice. Did you try UV speed as well? (I can imagine NM speed would actually be quicker than UV speed because of the increased movement speed of the demons). An UV max would also be interesting, especially if it's played Tysonish and not just circling around waiting for infights, then mopping up with the plasma (I had a crappy 1:46 first try using that tactic yesterday).

Doug, loved your comments about HL2 in that thread in "Everything Else"...
Op. edit: thanks. I know this isn't the place for it... and I know I share my feelings too much. The idea of Steam is good in a perfect world, and it is nice it is offered as an option, but it shouldn't be required. It's a step in the wrong direction for personal security and individual freedom. Both of which are disappearing rapidly (in the USA at least). Good game spoiled by the interface... I'm giving my brother my copy... I regret paying money for it now.
back to Grazza's demos!

watched all these random demos so far, some fun stuff, if i get time i'll play some of these wads too! keep them "different" demos coming, graz

Kristian Ronge said:

That Hellgate NM speed + pacifist was very nice. Very nice. Did you try UV speed as well?

No, I didn't try UV. You could well be right that it would be slower, or at least that you'd need more luck for the monsters to let you past them to reach the switches. Actually, what prompted me to record this was that Bejitas had done a NM demo in which he spent time killing monsters, and I suggested that a pacifist approach might be worth trying.

Opulent said:

Good game spoiled by the interface...

I've found it difficult to retain much long-term enthusiasm for any game that needs a CD in the drive, to be honest. Only HL and UT, and in both cases their CD just sat in one of my drives for the best part of a year.

cycloid said:

watched all these random demos so far, some fun stuff, if i get time i'll play some of these wads too! keep them "different" demos coming, graz

Thanks. I try to choose categories that are interesting to record on the map in question, and hope that translates into them being interesting to watch too. If you've got the Master Levels, then there are some good maps in there which have had surprisingly few demos recorded on them. Ledmeister has done some very solid work in the Max (or rather Led-style) and nomo/help categories, but there's not much else been done. BTW, some of the maps in dem.wad where I haven't recorded anything might make for some very bloody Maxes (but some ponderous Speeds, I fear, though in some cases I haven't looked too closely).

Yes the end is relatively easy, but there are some points
where lot of luck is needed, the run through the slime,
where the monsters easily block the way, or the part with
the crusher, or the three archviles at the start area.
Maybe it wouldn´t be much fun to record over and over, but
the result should be amazing.

Someone should do a tas demo :P

Ryback said:

Here you are, Lutrov.

them1626

Sorry it's not a better demo. And I missed a secret at the end too... damnit.

Ah man, now that was sweet! Ryback, you're one of those players that releases nothing but quality!

Kickin' demo man!

The map isn't really that tough if you know what you're doing. I'm working on part Thematic Elements 2 now, which will be even harder.

I wasn't sure whether to upload this one, because it's kind of scrappy, but I found it quite entertaining when I watched it afterwards, and I don't imagine I'll be improving it any time soon (fed up with the vital jump near the end getting blocked).

Enigma by Jim Flynn, map08 UV Speed in 4:16.

This map is a later version of The Tower, which is what reminded me of this map (and gave me a few route ideas).