Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiGHTMARE

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

I was just wondering if anyone's played this game yet? I won't be getting my copy until Monday/Tuesday, so I might as well get a few impressions of it in the meantime :).

I bought it and up to now it's pretty good. I thought the light/dark worlds idea would be lame but it's well done and blends well the the overall story of the game.

The difficulty is quite easy except for a few bosses and some annoying enemies. One of the bosses I've beaten yesterday took me a good 10-15 mins to kill. The dark Samus fights are also pretty good too. It feels like the next chapter of the series since a good part of the original items comes back plus some cool new ones.

I didn't see any new major graphic change but it's still well done. Sounds and musics are ok but not spectacular. They've remixed the Maridia song and recycled some of the sounds and music(secret/suspense chambers in SM).

The secret galleries are back with some cool new pics. I haven't finish it yet but there must be a hard mode when you finish the game so it might add some replayability. Overall it's a pretty good game and if you liked Prime then you'll definitely like this one. I know I did :)

Ayu said:

It's as overrated as the first. Bland, and annoying.

Pretty much what I'd have expected, then.

Pheh, at least it's not nearly as overrated, bland, or boring as Halo. It may not be nearly as good as, say, Super Metroid, but there's most certainly been worse FPS'.

S1lent said:

Anything GameCube sucks. Nintendo should have just stopped at the N64

Gamecube ROX UR SOX!!!!1111

<S1lent> Anything GameCube sucks. Nintendo should have just stopped at the N64

Ahem...what about Super Smash Bros, Pikmin, Resident Evil 1, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Eternal Darkness, Wario Ware, Super Monkey Ball 2, etc.?

I liked the original Metroid Prime, and I look forward to trying the second one.

WildWeasel said:

Ahem...what about Super Smash Bros, Pikmin, Resident Evil 1, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Eternal Darkness, Wario Ware, Super Monkey Ball 2, etc.?

They all suck. I bought a gamecube and that was the worst decision I have ever made.

S1lent said:

You are an oblivious idiot.

[D3HoE]Makaveli said:
People have their opinions, you have yours.

I don't know... one saying something like that with no given proof makes me wonder...

Most the GameCube's games aren't original. They're simply remakes of other system's titles with a few extra things in them. The control scheme is bad, the online is bad, most of the games you can get online on PS2 or XBOX, it's cheaper for a reason... There are a lot better games on XBOX and PS2 and the XBOX and PS2 games are more popular so you'd be able to find tournaments and other people who play teh game a lot easier than you would a GameCube game. Like I said, they should have stopped at N64 because they really screwed up on the GameCube and the Nintendo DS. The only plus to those systems are that they're small and the graphics are superior to the other systems. But then again, graphics aren't everything.

I'm not the only one who thinks this too. If you look at the sales, GameCube is dead last.

Explain to me how Metroid Prime is a rerelease.

And who gives a crap about sales in this case? Just because something has low sales doesn't mean it's terrible.

footman said:

And who gives a crap about sales in this case? Just because something has low sales doesn't mean it's terrible.

Of course it can. It's got low sales because most people don't buy it/like it...

S1lent said:

I agree with footman on this one. Control scheme is bad? I wasn't aware there was a universal control scheme for every ngc game, I'm positive you're just pulling shitty made-up terms out of your ass and regurgitating some anti-nintendo fanatic's thoughts into your posts. I can't comment on gamecube being unoriginal, I don't even want to know what your measure of originality is.

As for MP2, I've played through what I guess would be 1/4 of it. I don't think it's bad, it's mostly a clone of Prime's gameplay which isn't bad at all, but I think the gameplay at times can be overwhelming; there's just so much ground to cover and things to be aware of.

edit:

[D3HoE]Makaveli said:
Of course it can. It's got low sales because most people don't buy it/like it...

It's got low sales because it's been out for two weeks, and it's not a marquee title. You won't see mega sales numbers from it, but I don't think Nintendo planned on it doing battle with San Andreas or Halo2 or even Half-Life 2. If I had to make an educated guess I would think most of the metroid cult make up it’s November sales. As soon as the November hype dies down a game like metroid should sell fairly well, along with whatever it does during Christmas season.

gatewatcher said:

It's got low sales because it's been out for two weeks, and it's not a marquee title. You won't see mega sales numbers from it, but I don't think Nintendo planned on it doing battle with San Andreas or Halo2 or even Half-Life 2. If I had to make an educated guess I would think most of the metroid cult make up it’s November sales. As soon as the November hype dies down a game like metroid should sell fairly well, along with whatever it does during Christmas season.

Wait, your discussing Metriod Prime 2? I was talking about something else then nevermind.

S1lent said:

If you look at the sales, GameCube is dead last.

Actually, I thought the Gamecube recently outsold the XBOX and became the second place console? Microsoft knows how to bullshit, that's all, so they can make up whatever figures they want and make it seem like their console sells better. And besides, most people just buy an XBOX for Halo or Halo 2. What do we always hear about when it comes to XBOX game sales? Halo. The only game anyone talks about after the XBOX's launch? Halo. The only other game I know of that sold close to Halo was Fable, and that was only because it was the only RPG really to have any hype behind it on the XBOX.

It would have nothing to do with it's online or multiplayer capabilities.. Oh no. It's gotta be Halo because Halo has a monopoly over the sales of all XBOX games.

By control scheme, I meant to say the controller layout. I apologize for the typo.

Also, no, I don't think so. GameCube hasn't outsold anything anytime recently,.

There's a reason why the GameCube is cheaper than the other systems.

S1lent said:

There's a reason why the GameCube is cheaper than the other systems.

Yes, the fact that its hardware is better designed.

PS2 should be the cheapest of the 3, being the oldest, and least powerful but for some reason it's stil $150 dollars. Better yet, the slimmed down version is 50 dollars more!

S1lent said:

It would have nothing to do with it's online or multiplayer capabilities.. Oh no. It's gotta be Halo because Halo has a monopoly over the sales of all XBOX games.

And the PS2 is selling better than the XBOX. :P And let me tell you, it's not because of online multiplayer. If that was as big a deal as everyone has made it to be, the Dreamcast should have sold by the bucketload considering it was the first system to have it. Believe it or not, online multiplayer for consoles is still a fringe gamer thing. It's not as prevalent as you or the console makers have made you think.

Frankly, I'd rather purchase a $99 system without online capabilities than a $150 one with, and that's what I did. Especially since I was able to purchase a game with the extra money I had left. Not to mention that most Gamecube games have bots. If not enough people are playing an obscure game online for the other consoles or if I want to play alone, it's tough titty in most cases.

The Gamecube isn't some sort of pariah in the console world. If anything, it's a solid console that chose to do one thing better than any other console: play games. It has some of the best, not to mention the most fun first party titles I've seen yet. As for the controller, I've actually had a harder time playing and adjusting to my friends PS2 games because the buttons aren't laid out as well as they could be. Nintendo has been designing consoles longer than any of the other console makers out there right now, so they know what they're doing when they design a controller. Trust me, if you've ever used a GC controller, it's more comfortable to use than any of the other controllers out there.

However, if you absolutely have to have a system that does something other than play games and has online multiplayer, I'd recommend the PS2 over the XBOX anyway, especially since the PS2 has more games. It might have inferior hardware, but when combined with the fact that the system is backwards compatible with PS1 games and the huge line-up of games already available for the PS2, it's hard to beat. If I get another system, it will definitely be a PS2. The XBOX simply doesn't have enough games that interest me to warrant a purchase, especially when half of them are on the PC anyway.

S1lent said:

I'm not the only one who thinks this too. If you look at the sales, GameCube is dead last.

I'm pretty sure in US sales, The Gamecube is way in second place, and even beat the PS2 for 3 consecutive months in sales last year. Something the XBox has never done.

Snarboo said:

Nintendo has been designing consoles longer than any of the other console makers out there right now, so they know what they're doing when they design a controller. Trust me, if you've ever used a GC controller, it's more comfortable to use than any of the other controllers out there.

I definitly agree.The Gamecube controller rules.

S1lent said:

By control scheme, I meant to say the controller layout. I apologize for the typo.

Well than that's just a matter of opinion, which I guarantee is not universal. Additionally, I heard more complaining about the original x-box controller in the few months it was being made than I've ever heard about the gamecube's.

The Metroid series seemed like it was destined for the FPS genre. I plan on buying a cheap GC whenever the next-gen consoles come out. I'm just waiting for a price that justifies the glaring absence of online connectivity.

gatewatcher said:

Well than that's just a matter of opinion, which I guarantee is not universal. Additionally, I heard more complaining about the original x-box controller in the few months it was being made than I've ever heard about the gamecube's.

And it was fixed... something Nintendo hasn't done with it's controller.

Then again, it was Microsoft too... and they never get it right the first time.

S1lent said:

And it was fixed... something Nintendo hasn't done with it's controller.

Because it's not broken and doesn't need to be fixed. :p The buttons are all easily accessible and move smoothly, unlike the original XBOX controller where the black and white buttons were very hard to reach, not to mention the size of the controller made it hard on some people to use. Besides, if you don't like Nintendo's controller there are always third party or more ergonomic controllers out there for the system.

However, I think that in most cases the controller isn't to blame. I think it's either because the default control types suck or because you can't remap the buttons that people have problems with a controller. It boggles my mind that nowadays when there are more buttons than ever on controllers that you can't remap the buttons in most cases or there are only like 2 controller setups.