Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Mogul

Half-Life 2: Deathmatch

It's out. It's pretty dang underdeveloped (only two maps, neither of them are very good, FOUR SPAWN weapons=retarded/not serious, stamina guage/NO AUTORUN) -- so we'll have to wait for AG2 to fix it up.

But I have to admit, killing someone with a flying toilet with a gravity gun is pretty dang fun, even if it is only fun for a minute.

But yeah, it's mostly just for novelty purposes at the moment -- not really intended for serious play like Quake III/PK/etc.

Yeah, I've played a few more matches in it -- and yeah -- that has GOT to be the worst netcode I've ever witnessed.

OK, look, when DOOM 3 came out, and people were hosting servers on their cable modems -- that was sincerely much better than what we've got in HL2:DM.

Come on, theres nothing wrong with it that time won't fix. Remember when HL came out, it was pretty laggy for a while as well. I wasn't even expecting a proper DM to be made for HL2 anyway.

And really, the weapons you get at spawn are fine. No one complained that you start with a pulse rifle and 4 grenades in UT2K3. Everyone gets the same, and besides all the weapons lying around are much better than that SMG thing. Although... no crowbar :(

Bad points:

• Laggy as hell. I hope Valve improve the netcode.
  • Two maps - wtf? They could've at least made a few more. Thankfully this should be rectified by the community.
  • Rushed. Overall I think Valve should've spent more time on this, it feels incomplete.
Of course, I'm willing to overlook all these points because of one factor:
  • Killing someone with a radiator or toilet is one of the most satisfying experiences in my entire life.

Argh, i want this game now more than ever, even if it has shitty netcode.

They are.

Winner takes 5G, I believe.

Man -- the netcode (assuming that's the problem) really is KILLING ME. Oh my goodness, you guys who haven't played it -- you can't possibly imagine how bad the lag is. Even at relatively low pings, like 60-75, it feels like every other game does at 125-150. It's absolutely wretched.

I guess it's all those physics... There hasn't ever been a dm experience where there are probably 50-100 objects that react in real time to your actions, that you can throw around, etc, by 15-30 players at once.

I found it a little laggy... But hey, it's better than what hese 3rd party mods are trying to do.

Extremely laggy, but a lot of fun. Throwing exploding barrels around is hilarious. Also, picking up grenades and throwing them back to the enemy can cause funny situations.

I played a bit last night, and aside from it being laggy as hell, it was decently enjoyable. One of my favorite moments, besides creaming someone with a filing cabinet, was when this guy and I were having a fight with a barrel I believe. I threw it at him, missed, he picked it up, threw it at me, I grabbed it mid air, threw it back, he grabbed it, and right before he threw it at me, some ass blindsided me with a radiator. Pissed me off. Personally I like spawning with some decent weapons. I hate just spawning with a pistol, it makes you pretty impotent til you find something better. Really the only terrible problem I can see right now is the netcode. The lag makes it hard to really aim your shots with the gravity gun, so it's rather hard to use it effectively. That and the lack of maps, but I'm sure that in a week or so that won't be a problem. All in all, a fun little diversion that I wasn't really expecting anyways, considering they said there wouldn't be an DM for hl2. Still needs some work though.

Mogul said:

Man -- the netcode (assuming that's the problem) really is KILLING ME. Oh my goodness, you guys who haven't played it -- you can't possibly imagine how bad the lag is. Even at relatively low pings, like 60-75, it feels like every other game does at 125-150. It's absolutely wretched.

Uh... the netcode felt fine to me. When I was playing on arioch's server I had a ping of 120 and it was a little skittish, but earlier I was on a server with a ping of around 80 and it was like butta.

Well you're one of the lucky ones Ling. Although I could try turning down some of my detail options, that might help. Still, I had an average ping of 125 or so, and it felt like I was playing TFC on my old 33k modem with AOL at times. I think the need to rework the netcode, but it's still pretty playable as is, most of the time. The major problem as I see it is that most of the low ping servers are full of people, so the only ones you can really get into are the higher ping ones.

It's fun. Might be more fun if every public server didn't have 14 to 20 people in it falling all over each other every step they make. I think a 3 or 4-guy HL2 Deatmatch would be awsum.

zarkyb said:

Bad points:

• Two maps - wtf? They could've at least made a few more. Thankfully this should be rectified by the community.

• Two maps, ok. But you just know that truckloads of Valve-ites are gonna be piling on this map competition. Whether its a cynical ploy or not doesnt bother me...

I understand it's not the netcode but the physics thats making it jumpy. The server calculates the physics for all players, 20 players throwing stuff is going to slow it down. Valve recommend a 14 player limit.

Anyway played it on the shack servers last night. It's damn funny and extremely hectic, this sums it up

I kill two guys with magnum
    I'm killed by flying wardrobe
    Guy who killed me killed by flying explosive barrel
    That dude + another killed by the overwatch nade (the bouncy light)
    He's then killed by crossbow sniper

I suppose having so many instagib weapons (grav gun, rocket, magnum, crossbow) gets a bit anoying, but it doesn't ruin it.

chilvence said:

Two maps, ok. But you just know that truckloads of Valve-ites are gonna be piling on this map competition. Whether its a cynical ploy or not doesnt bother me...

Me and my friend are working on a map for it. As soon as I can figure out how to get Hammer playing my map properly.

I was in a server with a 10-person max, and that worked wonderfully. I don't even bother if the limit's higher than 14, 'cause it's too unplayable, but less than that, and it can be really fun. I also REALLY love the gravity gun - I don't even bother with the other weapons unless there's nothing to throw. And personally, I don't mind all the instagib weapons - one of the things I've never enjoyed about deathmatch is how much ammo you generally have to pump into someone before they die (unlike sp where enemies are basically fodder for you to slaughter by the dozens).

zarkyb said:

Me and my friend are working on a map for it. As soon as I can figure out how to get Hammer playing my map properly.

See, the problems solve themselves :)

i hate when you morons go around saying "eh the netcode sucks" etc. you didn't even look at the code, morons, i bet you didn't even try to interpret the assembly so you could base that argument ARRRGH.

Well, that's my point.

Will someone please buy me hl2 and GTA: SA for Christmas.

I am willing to be degraded to a certain extent.

spank said:

i hate when you morons go around saying "eh the netcode sucks" etc. you didn't even look at the code, morons, i bet you didn't even try to interpret the assembly so you could base that argument ARRRGH.

Well, that's my point.

It sucks if it's laggy as hell. I guess it could be worse but I think it could be a lot better.

Mogul said:

I guess it's all those physics... There hasn't ever been a dm experience where there are probably 50-100 objects that react in real time to your actions, that you can throw around, etc, by 15-30 players at once.

EKJGFGFILGEUI£WGH RVIFDBD VLFNVNJB:JRSGBJRSRLGJBNGB

GAH
    FLE BVRR HB&£$R)F £(*BQDC£*C O£F)£WGFV
    OMG

AAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YES.
    THERE.
    HAS.

Go play devastation DM. Go throw shit at each other, go play basketball in the one level with the hoop. Go throw planks of wood and dustbins at each other. Go brain someone with an office chair or a computer monitor. And go do it with zero lag at all. Devastation was excellent in DM (The SP sucked), and IIRC, it was out (at least the demo) before HL2 was announced.

I wish people would stop talking as if HL2 is the first game where you can throw shit at people, because it just isn't.

I can't say I've played HL2DM yet, so I can't comment, but devastation had great netcode and like no lag, so it IS possible to have all those physics objects and shit and still have good pings. I said the same thing when people were complaining that Doom3 was laggy, because it was the 'first game to have all those physics objects'.

</rant>

Yyeah, it is when everyone is complaining that the physics are fucking up the ping because "it's the first time its been done so they need some time to tweak it", when the actual first time it was done, it was done right first time.

...if that makes any sense at all.

Heh, there was some game I played on Dreamcast with a bunch of friends where the entire point was to run around in a room and throw shit at each other. Can't remember what it was called now.

Also, there are some Tribes mods with a gravity gun, though I don't know if these were made before or after that Half-life demo since I only started playing it a week ago.

Danarchy said:

Heh, there was some game I played on Dreamcast with a bunch of friends where the entire point was to run around in a room and throw shit at each other. Can't remember what it was called now.

Power Stone?

AirRaid said:

EKJGFGFILGEUI£WGH RVIFDBD VLFNVNJB:JRSGBJRSRLGJBNGB

GAH
    FLE BVRR HB&£$R)F £(*BQDC£*C O£F)£WGFV
    OMG

AAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

YES.
    THERE.
    HAS.

Go play devastation DM. Go throw shit at each other, go play basketball in the one level with the hoop. Go throw planks of wood and dustbins at each other. Go brain someone with an office chair or a computer monitor. And go do it with zero lag at all. Devastation was excellent in DM (The SP sucked), and IIRC, it was out (at least the demo) before HL2 was announced.

I wish people would stop talking as if HL2 is the first game where you can throw shit at people, because it just isn't.

I can't say I've played HL2DM yet, so I can't comment, but devastation had great netcode and like no lag, so it IS possible to have all those physics objects and shit and still have good pings. I said the same thing when people were complaining that Doom3 was laggy, because it was the 'first game to have all those physics objects'.

</rant>

What is devastation dm?