Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gemini09

DoomBuilder feature requests

I just want to put down the things I'd like to see in DoomBuilder (very soon). I appreciate the work CodeImp already put into this, do not get me wrong.

Now if CodeImp or another kind soul wants to contribute some more to the community, you could start here.

1. Sector drawing tool, seperate from the Line tool. Example:

-------B---|-------

-------|---A------- In Sector mode, you should be able to draw a sector from point A to point B.

2. Is there a hotkey to turn Auto Stitch on and off? That'd come in handy for sure...

3. Free movement of the overview with the mouse, instead of having to use the direction arrow keys, or the useless M hotkey.

4. A hotkey to show one giant plus sign (looks like this ---> + <----) that's displayed over the mouse icon, and the plus sign's legs are infinite long, to help see if 2 vertices for example are properly aligned with eachother, on the map. Example:

-----------------|------------------
........................|
_______V_______M_______V______
------------------------------------

The 2 V's are vertices, the | and _ is the plus sign, and the M is the mouse pointer. Ignore the dots.

5. In Linedef mode, when you right-click a linedef, in my opinion, the first screen should be the texture select screen, as I, at least, usually have work to do there, rather then set a special action or something.

?. To be continued, stay tuned.

Keep the posts constructive. Thank you.

2. At the bottom of the DoomBuilder window, clicking the "auto-stitch" box toggles it on and off.

I have two small ideas that may or may not be useful in any way. I would try and add these features myself, but I don't have visual basic on this computer.

First, if there are multiple DECORATE lumps in the WAD, only the first one is recongnized. I don't want to combine the 3 DECORATEs that I have into one because of organization issues.

Second, but also not really needed. It would be handy to have a 'gradiant' assign TID type function. Or an 'auto-assign next unused TID' to things upon creation.

Third, in the ACS editor, once you mark search results, there is no apparent way to clear the marks.

gemini09 said:

I just want to put down the things I'd like to see in DoomBuilder (very soon)....

I appreciate your suggestions, but I just want to put down the things I do every day, so you may be able to understand I dont have enough time to work on this project. I never did, because who cares really. I follow school every day from 8 in the morning untill about 5 - 6 in the afternoon (varies every day of the week). Beside that, I work for an Internet services company. When I'm home in the evenings, I dont really feel much for coding an hour or 2. In the evenings on the weekends I usually spend my time with friends and go out or something along those lines. Those are things I value as well, im not giving that time up for coding. So theres not going to be anything very soon. Accept that or add it yourself.

chopkinsca said:

2. At the bottom of the DoomBuilder window, clicking the "auto-stitch" box toggles it on and off.

Ya, I know...I was thinking of a shortcut key for that, since pressing a button is much faster then moving the mouse over, especially when you need to turn auto-stich on and off many times over and over...

Thanks for the answer CodeImp.

Uh, I have a button configured for autostitch on and off in my Doombuilder. Have you even looked at the key configure screen?

That idea with rulers that follow the mouse is good, and maybe also the possibility to set static rulers. In ruler-mode the mouse should be affected by the snap toggle.

When Auto Stitch is off, it should also apply to new vertices/linedefs you draw very near other linedefs. It forces you to make a bigger room, meaning, moving linedefs around alot, before creating new linedefs near the existing ones, and this is where Auto Stitch Off should be useful as well...

I dunno what use there is to Auto Stitch Off NOT stitching together new vertices you create with the Linedef tool, maybe Auto Stitch Off should only apply to when you move vertices really close to linedefs, and when you create new lines (by rightmouseclicking for example, in Linedef mode), and not apply to when you move a vertice RIGHT ON TOP of another, because that's pretty much always intentional, isn't it?

In linedef mode, when drawing new lines, or moving sprites or vertices around, the screen will scroll to either 4 direction if your mouse (while holding left mouse button, or was it right...?...when moving stuff around I mean), is close enough to either direction (left/right/up/down), anyway it's causing problems because the scrolling will start already when your mouse is maybe 3-4 cm from either 4 directions, in my opinion you should be required to move the mouse ALL THE WAY to either 4 direction for the screen scrolling to start. <--- This because, it forces you to zoom out first, so there is enough room on the screen to move this whatever object you're trying to move, without the screen automatically scrolling.

In my opinion, it'd be more conveniant if the zoom levels were in nice clean 10'er numbers, instead of 97% zoom, 63% zoom, whatever. Instead, 10%, 20%, 30%, ....90%, 95%...