Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Fredrik

The Incredibles

Who else has seen it? I went last night. Easily the movie of the year for me (though I must disclaim the merit of having seen many).

CGI first. Unsurprisingly, there's plenty of regular eye candy, including water and fire effects and, notably, amazing jungle scenes. But most impressive is the character animation. Gollum, Hulk, Keanu Reeves, eat your hearts out: this is the first time a movie cast with artificial humanoids manages not to annoy me once with them. Here limbs finally respect intuitive notions of biomechanical dynamics (properly adjusted to account for superpowers!). And in particular, the facial animation and voice acting is brilliant. The characters are convincing, continuously delivering subtle expressions of the kind you'd normally expect from skilled human actors. Wow!

Story, direction and dialogue are all good. There are clichés, but most of them are used perceptively, if not always in explicit parody (which itself certainly can be overused). I can't think of any downright cheesy moments. As I said, the characters are convincing, and that is true not only for their visual appearance but also for their attributes, interactions, problems, and development. This movie is pretty dark, with room allocated for appreciably deep social commentary between the gorgeous action shots. So yeah, for once a Happy Meal theme with some substance behind (though the target audience for that crap won't care). Actually that was an unoriginal comment.

Verdict: 96.3033218% (sweet)

Here my exorbitant little review ends.

I'm gonna see it at some point. Can't go wrong with a pixar film i guess. I'm hoping it'll be better than that shark's tale shit.

shark's tale looks extreamly confusing. i have no interest in it cause it looks based on that pop culture club stuff which i find extreamly annoying. also that fish with a human head really looks fucking creepy.

chances are i will only see that movie if the girl i am seeing wants to see a movie. if not i will most likly catch it a few years from now on HBO or something

Heh it was good. That short designer lady was cool, and her house gave me wetdreams. Anyway, the only cheesy moment was at the end with Violet and that guy. Frozone's argument with his wife was pretty hilarious.

The incredibles... It was a lot better than I thought it would be. I thought it would stupid but for some reason, most Pixar movies are pretty good

Lizardcommando said:

I watched that movie on Saturday. It was really good. Pixar movies are always fun to watch... except for A Bug's Life. I hated that movie.

I agree completely. Bug's Life was a terrible movie and a terrible game. Otherwise, all the other Pixar movies were fun to watch.

Kickass movie. I'm gonna go see it again this weekend, hopefully.

One thing I like about it is that it doesn't seem as quotable and repeatable as Finding Nemo became... which is good, because FN was ruined for me because it seemed everyone's duty around me was to recite that god forsaken sea-turtle scene along with any given line spoken by Dorrie. I'm still hearing people go "Just keep swimming, swimming swimming"

It makes me a sad Dunbar.

Psyonisis said:

I have never seen a Pixar or Dreamworks movie.

I don't understand why the trailer for this movie makes it so appealing. After it showed in our theatre, everyone was talking about how they wanted to see it so bad etc. Ha ha he's fat and can't put on his pants ha ha movie of the year!

You haven't even seen the movie :P

Read my post. I didn't say it was going to be a bad movie, I'm wondering why so many people were so adamant about seeing it even after wacthing a terrible trailer.

I don't think it was the trailer that made people want to watch the movie. I think it's just the fact that Pixar was releasing another movie.

Speaking of trailers, there was a trailer for a new Pixar movie called "Cars". That one doesn't seem to really appeal to me though. Oh well, it seems as though for every two or three spectacular movie Pixar releases, there's always going to be a "Bug's Life movie" added into the mix. Damn, that sounded good in my head... Anyone care to re-phrase it to sound more appealing?

'The Incredibles' looks like 'Lawrence of Arabia' next to 'Christmas with the Kranks' and 'National Treasure' in US theaters. sheesh, the garbage they make these days...
good movie, enjoyable for everyone. Does a good job of being its own thing.
blow-your-mind animation if you are into that. I can't think of a better movie in 2004... but then I haven't seen hardly anything that would be considered a 'quality' movie.

Saw it, great movie. And as always, very very impressive from a technical, and artistic viewpoint. The animation in some parts was just unbelievable. Skills out the ass! I didn't much care for the final battle, but I didn't let that spoil the movie for me.

Oh, and also Bouding, the Pixar short that they showed before Incredibles was fucking beautiful, I loved it. As for Cars, umm...yeah. That trailer has me just a bit worried:(

Lizardcommando said:

Pixar movies are always fun to watch... except for A Bug's Life. I hated that movie.

Didn't like that one much either. I can't think of a good reason why off the top of my head. It was just flat.

I found it on the school network today and watched the first hour during lunch time - I'll probably watch it in its entirety tomorrow.

I have to agree with all the positive comments here. I love how they didn't go all-out with the detail and eye candy yet still managed to do some incredibly convincing performances. Modelling the main character probably took 1/10th of the time it took to model a character in say, Shrek, but the animation really brings it to life. That, and it's just a really funny movie that dares shoot above the 10-14 year old target audience these movies usually have. I'm impressed.

Psyonisis said:

Dude, watch Shrek. Now.

Psyonisis said:

I don't understand why the trailer for this movie makes it so appealing. After it showed in our theatre, everyone was talking about how they wanted to see it so bad etc. Ha ha he's fat and can't put on his pants ha ha movie of the year!

At first I'd agree with you, however I saw this movie last week and enjoyed it.

Danarchy said:
Dude, watch Shrek. Now.

I didn't like it too much. This one seems more amusing, though.

The Incredibles was pretty awesome. I saw it with a girl and so I was pretty skeptical at first because it's a cartoon, after all. But we both enjoyed it immensely. Some parts looked so freaking real, namely the water. Definitely a great movie.

I don't think Shrek's too bad but i'll agree that it won't appeal to all.

There was i time when i though dreamworks was superior to pixar, but after watching sharks tale i've had second thoughts. I mean i understand a cartoon like Shrek is a little different (might have to take that back actually) to most other cartoons but if you take away the "pop influence" as Sephiroth defined it, there's not enough in there for it to qualify as best cartoon ever, a few scenes are touching, a few more jokes funny, but not enough i don't think.

Other than that, they're making a Shrek 3 and 4 i hear. I have no faith in the outcomes of either of those.

I enjoyed the Incredibles quite a lot as well. Very entertaining and fun movie.

As for the trailer thing, Pixar's trailers have always sucked. In fact the general consensus is they have yet to make a good trailer (the preview of Cars keeps that statement true).

Oh and Fredrik, if you haven't seen it, you might want to check out the Iron Giant, which is possibly the best traditionally animated movie made (imo anyway). It's written and directed by the same guy who wrote/directed the Incredibles and quite excellent.

All my friends went and saw it the other weekend and said it was good. Though one said it should have been a higher rating because there was kissing, jokingly, of course. It doesn't look too interesting to me, but from what I've heard here and such, I could be wrong.

Fredrik said:

I can't say I liked Shrek much either.

Shrek 2 was much better IMO.

I saw Incredibles with my flatmates the other day and we were all agredd that it was pretty damn good, both as artwork and film.

Cyb said:

It's written and directed by the same guy who wrote/directed the Incredibles and quite excellent.

The original book was released in 1968 (by Ted Hughes). Read it in primary school when it was called The iron man. I suppose Iron man is trademarked.

Cyb said:
Oh and Fredrik, if you haven't seen it, you might want to check out the Iron Giant, which is possibly the best traditionally animated movie made (imo anyway).

Seconded. Well, perhaps not the best, but definitely in the top 10. I especially like how it manages to steer clear of the typical Disneyish sentimental swamp, and still make a perfect family film (although I can imagine it might be a bit too dark and scary for the smallest children.. but, whatever).