Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryback

HR26 -fast

Yep :)

hf264442

I wanted to get this out with my last HR pack but I wasn't having any luck back then. Also, this is unfortunately not C-N uploadable - I left a ghost alive as there was no way to kill him.

Anyway, enjoy.

Ryback said:

this is unfortunately not C-N uploadable - I left a ghost alive as there was no way to kill him.

Meh, I don't think the ghosts even showed up in my max run because it's strictly chance if they appear or not. I'd let Adam decide that.

Thanks for the run BTW, you don't know how often I check incoming at C-N. With nothing new everytime, it's starting to become a bad habit. :)

It's not the ghosts at the end - it's a group of ghost imps, that the Baron has to try and kill. One of them was left alive in the demo, because the Baron was dead and he was too far from the walls to take splash damage from the Cyber.

Just watched the demo early this morning. All I can say... is wow. It's a hard level as is, and being done -fast is even greater. Excellent job!

Now only HR23 and HR30 are left for UV-Max -fast. Although...my guess is that they're near impossible to complete under UV-Max -fast conditions. Feel free to prove me wrong in the future though if it's possible :).

There's a TAS hf23, which might be useful for judging the feasibility of doing it unassisted. Certainly there are plenty of places where you can take a lot of damage very quickly.

Hehe, no sweat. BTW, does anyone know if anyone seriously tried it at one point or another? It could be an interesting holiday project... It'll probably require a combination of extreme slow-motion, loads of connected demos (perfecting tenths of a second at a time) in combination with manual building with LMPC.

Grazza said:

No. The compet-n category "UV -fast" is defined as "finishing the level as fast as possible, in Ultra Violence with the -fast parameter, killing every monster at least once, except lost souls, and 100% secrets."

Since it's a ghost, it's been killed once already, so by that definition the demo is valid

Or is there some kind of ancient precedent that overrules this apparent loophole? Not to mention players' personal pride of course :)

Adam Hegyi, maintainer of the COMPET-N, has numerous times explained/clarified that *every* reachable monster, no matter if it has been killed before/is a ghost/etc., excluding Lost Souls and Boss Shooter spawned monsters, has to be dead when the player exits. The definition of the categories UV max/UV -fast/UV -repsawn are somewhat ambiguous, though, and I can see how it could lead to misconceptions.

EDIT: And Doug, there are in fact *two* cool Casey maxdemos of HR map 30 now. ;-)

Adam Hegyi actually had to make a special ruling for HR26, since originally demos without the ghosts in them weren't valid, and then they were. There was a thread at the Compet-N forums about it.

As far as I can tell my demo falls into category B. I've mailed Adam about it to ask him, though.

HR30 -fast would be OMFGWTF crazy. Trust me, the first time I ever managed to beat it (my 1:5x Max-Kill at C-N), it took me around a month and a half to 3 months to beat (I don't remember since it's been so long).

The second time was a lot easier, or maybe I had more luck, but just playing the map normally, you gotta worry about getting telefragged, ammo usage (especially for the BFG), the Revenants, making sure everything is dead... and with 4 monsters being spawned every 7 seconds that just stand there and fire... although I'm sure the Cyberdemon would be a greater help on -fast (as well as a bigger pain), you still gotta worry about Arch-Viles.

Yeah.... map 30 is crazy. And... really random. =\