Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

id Software vs the rest of the world? (Q3:TA)

I once heard about a competition in Q3:TA where guys from id Software challanged teams from the internet. I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, does anyone know who emerged victorious?

At id's ftp, there is a demo of some of the id guys facing Team Abuse. Of course, it's not very good by pro standards at all, but it's kind of neat to see id actually playing the game. Heh.

Quast said:

I honestly couldn't imagine the id crew winning...no fucking way

Dude.. they MADE the game. They know EVERY aspect programmed into it... how could they NOT win? :P

Quast said:
I honestly couldn't imagine the id crew winning...no fucking way

Hey, maybe they cheated, like against Romero.

footman said:

Dude.. they MADE the game. They know EVERY aspect programmed into it... how could they NOT win? :P

Pro teams (like Team Abuse, even though they're not really that great by today's standards) practice hard for hours every day. Their technique is more refined, their teamwork is more refined -- they just have better skills.

I mean seriously -- watch a demo of fox, ZeRo4, czm... any Quake III pro, and tell me Tim Willits can do that stuff. No way man. :)

And like I said, you can get a demo of id vs Abuse at ftp.idsoftware.com.

It's in there somewhere, not sure where. And of course, you'll need Team Arena installed to watch the demo. If I recall correctly, Abuse shatters the id guys, but it's been about a year since I watched it, so I'm not sure. I guess i'll go get it again.

I'd be wary of any dev team with enough free time to master their own game. Even while you're developing a game you have a pretty foggy idea of what kind of skill it takes to master it. If that wasn't the case, games would never have bugs or exploits.

By the way, I couldn't find that demo I was talking about earlier. Not sure where it is. Google might reveal the location but I'm too lazy at the moment to hunt for such a lackluster game. :)

But anyway, the moral of the story is that building a game and play-testing it for a year or two or whatever doesn't mean a whole lot regarding your skill -- not necesarilly anyway. :)