Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eternal Dreams

Demos for Zdoom

I'm using a computer which only has Zdoom 2.0.63a and the IWADS from Final Doom and Doom II. :/ I really would like to watch some demos on this machine, and I would like to know if you could list some great demos that are compatible with my version of Zdoom.

Thanks. ^_^

If only there was a demo converter for ZDoom. Oh, and why are you still using 2.0.63a. 2.0.94 is better and is at least as stable as 2.0.63a if not moreso (Plus there are the extra DECORATE monster code pointers and flags which are pretty damn powerful.)

If you're willing to download some pwads, then you can find a small number of 2.0.63a demos, mostly by ragnew - grab some of the recent DSDA updates. There are some demos included with Deus Vult too.

If you download Eternity or Prboom, then that will enable you to watch more than 90% of all demos at DSDA, and more than 99% of those at compet-n.

If you're only willing to watch iwad demos recorded with 63a, then you might be out of luck. I can't think of any.

2.0.9x is the branch with Strife support. There's a gap in the numbering.

TheDarkArchon: I'm not sure how a converter could work, unless Zdoom had compatibility modes for earlier versions built into it - which it doesn't.

OK, whoops. Accidently posted new thread. >.> Stupid me.

Anyways, thanks Graz. ^_^ I actually am willing to download some PWADS, but not a new port or anything. :P

Any particular demos you reccomend?

The best demos ever have unfortuantely not been recorded with zDoom ...

You will need prboom/eternity/original EXEs to watch them.

A lot of those demos will play with the doom2 exe that came with doom2 and final doom, as well as the win 95 exe.

Prboom and eternity, as mentioned above will also play most of the. Free downloads.

the win95 .exe has fairly poor compatibility, way worse than prboom. the original .exes are of course best but they just don't work very well under modern Windows. (ironically, they work very well under Dosemu on Linux, once you get it set up right...)

AdamW said:
the win95 .exe has fairly poor compatibility, way worse than prboom.

We can't say it has "compatibility" in the true sense; PrBoom was backwards engineered to be compatible with Doom and Doom2, whereas Doom95 simply uses the same gameplay code Doom does, all the time. That makes it not very compatible with Doom2 (at least when Lost Souls show up.) I bet it wouldn't be hard to add a playback (or maybe recording too) parameter to PrBoom allowing it to read Doom95 demos, although it would have to be loaded manually by the user (according to the text accompanying the demo, for instance,) since both types are considered v1.9 demos. Note that people might also use the Doom engine to record DOOM II demos, and those are compatible with Doom95, but not with Doom2 or PrBoom, when Lost Souls appear.

VinceDSS said:
The best demos ever have unfortuantely not been recorded with zDoom ...

Heh, I don't see how that's really unfortunate, as that engine keeps on changing and has no compatibilities with itself... not to mention it's so configurable that each demo could be recorded almost as if it were for another game (in relation to other settings in ZDoom, not just the original game.)

myk said:

I bet it wouldn't be hard to add a playback (or maybe recording too) parameter to PrBoom allowing it to read Doom95 demos, although it would have to be loaded manually by the user (according to the text accompanying the demo, for instance,) since both types are considered v1.9 demos. Note that people might also use the Doom engine to record DOOM II demos, and those are compatible with Doom95, but not with Doom2 or PrBoom, when Lost Souls appear.

As I understand it, that would that be Prboom 2.3.x's -complevel 3. I've nothing to test it with, since I don't recall anyone ever recording anything for Doom2 with Doom95 (or the Ultimate Doom.exe).

And yes, I am too lazy to record one myself. :p Knowing my luck, I wouldn't be able to record one that desynched in Doom2.exe anyway. ;)

Interesting... although the text says it records a Final/Ultimate Doom or Doom95 demo, and these are different, since only Final DOOM's Doom2 has the teleporter bug, unlike Doom95 or Doom.

I tried recording, but it didn't work... I gather demo recording is stubbed in v2.3.1? Or am I missing something?

It says G_CheckDemoStatus: Demo recorded, and it generates a 1 byte demo... plus it keeps adding info (1 byte) to that demo if you try to record on top of it.

This happens on any compatibility level, by the way.

2.3.0 didn't even get there, dying out with an I_SignalHandler: Exiting on signal: signal 11.

Yes, recording is broken in 2.3.x. Apparently the team didn't know about this(!) until after the 2.3.1 release. Andrey Budko pointed to the error in the code that was to blame. link

What I meant was recording a demo on Doom2 in Doom95 or with Doom.exe and attempting to play it back with 2.3.x and -complevel 3.

Yes, it's odd that it regards it as the same compatibility level. Presumably it behaves differently depending on the iwad that is used (i.e. implementing the teleporter bug if the iwad is tnt or plutonia), but that still wouldn't cater for Final Doom demos recorded with Doom95.

Hmm, although that causes issues with Final DOOM demos recorded with Doom95... although anything to do with both Doom95 and Final DOOM is a rare enough thing.

I frolicked with the Lost Souls, recording with Doom95, and indeed the parameter made a difference; it plays back fine with -complevel 3, and not without it.