Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Not Jabba

Playing STRAIN

Can someone tell me how to run STRAIN? I'm not sure what to do with all those weird files, and when I try to run the unpack.bat thing (which I put in the same directory as doom2.exe, along with the four other files), it opens for a split second and then closes without letting me do anything. I heard there was a way to extract the .wad and .deh files, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Now that I think about it, I had a similar problem with hacx a while back. Hacx doesn't come with a handy unpacker, though. It has an installer, which I eventually gave in and decided to use, but whenever I try to direct it toward my doom95.exe, it doesn't recognize it even though they are in the same folder. My only guess is that it has to do with the fact that I am running the Collector's Edition version of doom 2 rather than whatever older file it might be looking for.

Is there another way?

Once you've got a wad and a deh (strain.wad + strain.deh or hacx.wad + hacx.deh), you're ready to use them with most ports:

port -file strain.wad -deh strain.deh

You can't use deh files with Doom95, so these wads won't work at all with it.

If you want to use them with doom2.exe, then you need to put everything in your doom2 folder and use the installer (or else do it manually, running deusf and loading the patch using dehacked.exe).

No, you misunderstand. The problem is I don't have a .wad file at all. Instead, I have hacx.1, hacx.2,...hacx.9. I am trying to figure out how to use all of that stuff to *get* a .wad file. I can't do it the same way I did with Strain, so I'm hoping someone can offer me an alternate solution.

Also, I know Doom95 can't run .deh files. I usually run wads on ZDoom, but in this case I was trying to use vanilla because I was running the hacx installer as a last resort.

Ah, yeah, the installer needs to find a copy of Doom2.exe. You can either use the shareware 1.9 DOS exe (it's identical to Doom2.exe byte-for-byte) and rename it to Doom2.exe, or you can get a copy here.