Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bucket

Classic Frank Zappa

Twenty minutes ? Let's see if I can stretch my attention span that long...

p.s. Frank Zappa >= Jesus

Edit:

Zappa said:

The biggest threat to America right now is not Communism, it's moving towards a fascist theocracy.

Whoops.

Unfortunately, I'd felt that Zappa didn't say much of what could've been said. For example, being criticized for suggesting kids with "no hope" to register to vote. I would've torn into that guy like nobody's business, but Zappa didn't come up with the obvious until the very end of the debate.

Of course, he was also chastised for his one album title, "We're Only In It For The Money"(my dad has that on vinyl, great stuff). Who says he's not allowed to be? Being musician is great, and you can talk about influencing culture and etc., but it's still a JOB. As a musician I can understand this; maybe the whole rock star experience is a little too romanticized.

The big laugh for me was Zappa claiming himself a Conservative. Because you know he's mentally finishing the comment with, "I'd very much like things back the way they were-- before YOUR kind existed."

Numbermind said:

Of course, he was also chastised for his one album title, "We're Only In It For The Money"(my dad has that on vinyl, great stuff).

The irony is that the title referred to those who cheapened the whole "freak" movement: the trend mongers who popularised the "hippy" culture and made it a trendy thing to do, and those who went along with it just to be "cool" and "hip". So he really wasn't referring to himself I don't think, but all the money whores out there. The album also went into great detail about how the government at the time was trying to supress the freedoms and thoughts of America and how there were those in the goverment who would like to see the rebellious youth of the country rounded up and shot. Really, it was a great period piece. Thats probably my favorite album of his. I'd like to write an analysis on it sometime, heh.