Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

See? Video games are good

So video games have therapeutic value? Let's ride this train! After all, it worked for marijuana!

This could backfire if they go to play more difficult games like Ghouls N Ghosts, the standard level progression Castlevanias, Blaster Master, Contra, Bionic Commando, Guardian Heroes Advance, etc.

Video games have huge benefits. In fact, I personally believe that they are productively equal to doing things such as board games, sports, puzzles, etc and productively superior to books and TV. Here are the reasons why:

-They help improve hand-eye coordination.
-Lots of competition: Against the computer, against another player, and so on. Competition, as we all know, needs no explanation in the fact that it is good.
-All require you to use your brain. That's right. All of them. While the majority of people simply say that only educational video games (which are only said to be educational simply because its a lot like school) are good for your brain, all excercise a different way of intellectual development. In games such as Doom or sports games it requires you to make quick decisions, which can speed up brain activity, whereas other games such as Age of Empires excercise your ability to think ahead, and so on. This is extremely helpful, despite what others say.
-They help improve visual skills.
-They help you focus.
-Some video games such as Doom allow people to vent their frustrations. This has certainly helped me. When my mother is drunk and/or upset, when my roommate is being a degenerate, when I suffer humiliation, when I have anxiety about my secret object of passion (someone that most likely none of you know about), when I get angered or saddened by what I hear from the news, when I feel I'm being somewhat excluded by my friends, etc I feel better after managing to reduce hellspawn to a pile of haggis. It improves my mood.
-They require patience and perserverance in order to succeed, and often require you to set goals. You are also faced with many challenges in video games, and in keeping hold of your patience and perserverance you can build up your determination and hardiness in the face of difficulty and challenges, encouraging you to do the best you can and succeed.
-You can sometimes increase social skills when it comes to being online. I made some friends online, and got better skill in making interesting conversation. Also you can meet a variety of people online to talk to, and with enough online social experience you could manage to do good conversation with a variety of different types of people and become friends with them. Hell, I made myself appealing enough online with some good conversation and made some friends easily. I even got asked out on a date once while playing UT online (but I rejected and dropped out of the server).

And much more!

I'm not saying you should play video games ALL day, but people shouldn't have all the rage of spending all day doing sports or reading books. I believe in the importance of keeping a variety of things in your schedule of free time.

I'd also write a counter-argument to the people accusing video games of being unproductive, inferior to other activities (ramblings such as "video gamers don't have a life!" and "people could be doing better things") and corrupting our society (obviously from the Bible Belt), but I'm too tired.

The bible belt?

Psyonisis said:

Maybe the kids shouldn't be such pussies.

Dude, most of them are just little kids.

Gokuma said:

S1lent, be silent.

I'm sorry, I'll leave you to picking on little kids.

I'd also like to point out that not all Christians are apposed to violent video games. Just a bit of info for those of you who hate Christians.

I'm really glad people are seeing the truth in that video games aren't as evil as the soccer moms say they are. I'm still upset that they blamed Columbine on Doom... One of the biggest things that bugs me is when parents blame video games for their bad parenting. Jimmy did something bad, but it's not the parent's fault, oh no, it's the video games!

Since when did I pick on any little kids? And since when did I say ALL Christians? Don't put words in my mouth until you take the dick out of yours you fascist cock-sucker.

Sheesh... It's always the parents this, or the children that... What about psychological disorders? Granted, in that case, you can blame the parents for not noticing the warning signs, but it may not always be anyone's fault that the kid was screwed up to begin with. We live in such a blame society. Everything has to be something's fault, it can't ever just happen. "Blah blah blah gave me cancer, or blah blah blah makes kids shoot other kids at schools." Sometimes shit happens, and you just have to deal with it.

S1lent said:

I'd also like to point out that not all Christians are apposed to violent video games.

Heh

Im Christian and Im at Doomworld.I think that proves something.

Heh.

Don't pick on S1lent so much. Any one of us could have born with poor reasoning skills. So please show some compassion.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

Heh, they were on the news yesterday.

I found that article to be absolutely stupid.

"Children should not have a choice and need to be protected"

Protected from what, violence? They see this stuff all the time on tv, games, school, almost everywhere. I doubt game restrictions is the solution to protecting the youth.

Bloodskull said:

I found that article to be absolutely stupid.

"Children should not have a choice and need to be protected"

Protected from what, violence? They see this stuff all the time on tv, games, school, almost everywhere. I doubt game restrictions is the solution to protecting the youth.

It's a step. Games are much more impressionable than movies because you interact with them, allowing you to control the level of violence. I, however, think television and music should have stricter code on what should and shouldn't be shown to whom.

I also believe parents should get their heads out of their asses and do some parenting.

Ralphis said:

It's a step. Games are much more impressionable than movies because you interact with them, allowing you to control the level of violence. I, however, think television and music should have stricter code on what should and shouldn't be shown to whom.

I also believe parents should get their heads out of their asses and do some parenting.

Ralphis has a point, actually. I've read some interesting stuff regarding the difference between video games and movies, as far as impressionable children are concerned. Games can be worse for children because of the interactivity. Oh, the joys of being a psych major.

Columbine said:

I'd also write a counter-argument to the people accusing video games of being unproductive, inferior to other activities (ramblings such as "video gamers don't have a life!" and "people could be doing better things") and corrupting our society (obviously from the Bible Belt), but I'm too tired.

I'd also try to do the same thing.
How the hell are vidoe games unproductive, when they keep inspiring people to work on mods and TCs? Working on mods and TCs is a very productive use of time, and can be very educational, especially if you're porting something from one engine to another...
It's a wonderful form of art and self-expression....
Games also inspire creative writing in the form of fan-fiction...
Unfortunately, this seems too difficult to comprehend for all of those complaining noobs and all those old geezers from non-gaming generations.

DarkJedi188 said:

It's a wonderful form of art and self-expression....
Games also inspire creative writing in the form of fan-fiction...
Unfortunately, this seems too difficult to comprehend for all of those complaining noobs and all those old geezers from non-gaming generations.

Amen to that, mapping is truly an artform like any other. Shame it's so obscure that only a tiny number of people recognise it. (and the n00bs/oldies say it's no good for you and stuff - well not when you make maps, mods etc. as you're using skills from outside gaming)

I think they're all just jealous that they didn't get to play video game swhen they were a kid.

i have heard it all at work. everything from jews to the devil are INSIDE games or behind them. a woman claimed that HP was supporting gays and was run by the devil. lets not forget the fact that the electrical field from her body killed her computer, not the fact she dropped it down a flight os stairs.

games can be a bad thing if they take up too much of your life, just liek anything else. also young children really should not play games like doom III and silent hill or GTA. but that is the parents choice and responsibility.

its like thos dumb fucks sueing wall mart because a cd had the f-word in it. its times like that i wish the court would break out the cerimonial gun and place it in that persons mouth and pull the trigger.

lessons of life
SHIT happens, no matter what! bad shit will happen and sometimes there is nothing to blame.
take responsiblity for your own actions and or stupidity.
don't be a jerk to other because the world isn't the way you want it.

i think it is good to see a good attitude towards games. after all it is a good way to release the stress of the day.

S1lent said:
I'd also like to point out that not all Christians are apposed to violent video games. Just a bit of info for those of you who hate Christians.

He's right. Christians don't seem to be worried about violence. I mean they'll take to the streets for bad language, nudity, magic, and homosexuality, but violence? hey, that's culture!

Sephiroth said:

i have heard it all at work. everything from jews to the devil are INSIDE games or behind them. a woman claimed that HP was supporting gays and was run by the devil. lets not forget the fact that the electrical field from her body killed her computer, not the fact she dropped it down a flight os stairs.

games can be a bad thing if they take up too much of your life, just liek anything else. also young children really should not play games like doom III and silent hill or GTA. but that is the parents choice and responsibility.

its like thos dumb fucks sueing wall mart because a cd had the f-word in it. its times like that i wish the court would break out the cerimonial gun and place it in that persons mouth and pull the trigger.

lessons of life
SHIT happens, no matter what! bad shit will happen and sometimes there is nothing to blame.
take responsiblity for your own actions and or stupidity.
don't be a jerk to other because the world isn't the way you want it.

i think it is good to see a good attitude towards games. after all it is a good way to release the stress of the day.

Well, true that video games can be bad if they take up too much of your life, but the same can go for other things.

Now I have played violent video games since I was 4, starting out with Wolfenstein and advancing further. I am not a violent person. That is because my parents were dedicated, were firm with me, spent time with me and taught me the difference between reality and unreality, between right and wrong. Regardless of the intellect of both of my parents, at least they actually took the time to shape me up.

And I am not a fan of the Columbine kids at all, despite my name. And though I somewhat was being sarcastic that I WAS a fan of them in the "Harris Levels" thread along with my sarcasticly stupid sig, I still do not hold true to them. I made it sound too serious however, and got some flaming. But I shall let those flames by, pardon my condescendence, apologize to the others and kindly ask that they at least reconsider the negative thoughts they had about me as a response to my arrogance.

And to Ultraviolet, no need to go crazy on me. It's just my opinion. Books are good for you too. I still don't think of them as equally productive to video games, however. You're right, books rule. But I personally prefer writing.

Columbine said:

And I am not a fan of the Columbine kids at all, despite my name.

Then why create and use such a nick...here? The only reason I can see is that you wish to create conflict, drama and attention for yourself.

Congratulations...

Quast said:

Then why create and use such a nick...here? The only reason I can see is that you wish to create conflict, drama and attention for yourself.

Congratulations...

If the only reason you see that I have this name is to create conflict, drama and attention for myself, then maybe it would be necessary to take into account that posting a judgment when you haven't even gotten a chance to know me better would also suggest that maybe you are also trying to create conflict, drama and attention for yourself. But to make that assumption so soon about you would also be very unreasonable. So let's not get too hasty. At first I did not know that people had connected DooM to the Columbine incident, let alone people here being extremely bothered when hearing the word Columbine not (just) because it was named after a disaster but also because it is what has caused some corruption and excessive scrutiny for the DooM community. In fact, to begin with I wasn't aware that so many DooM players knew about Columbine. So sorry for any offense. The name Columbine was simply for the inspiration of fear, seeming like a hellish nightmare. While others stuck with the same old "Bin Laden" and "Hellish demon" type names to inspire fear, I decided to sort of go outside of that.

Again, sorry for any offense.

Columbine said:

then maybe it would be necessary to take into account that posting a judgment when you haven't even gotten a chance to know me better would also suggest that maybe you are also trying to create conflict, drama and attention for yourself.

People that make quick assumptions are attention whores?

At first I did not know that people had connected DooM to the Columbine incident

You're kidding right?

let alone people here being extremely bothered when hearing the word Columbine not (just) because it was named after a disaster but also because it is what has caused some corruption and excessive scrutiny for the DooM community.

That's because, from your other posts, you appear to reinforce the image/stereotype of some dumbasses that shot up their school...I'd think most people around here don't like that.

In fact, to begin with I wasn't aware that so many DooM players knew about Columbine.

sigh...You DO know that was worldwide news, right? Why wouldn't anyone know about it? Do you hail from Mars? Unless you are a native from some amazonian tribe, I don't believe your tripe.

The name Columbine was simply for the inspiration of fear

...because it brings images of kids shooting up their school...

Your use of "columbine" isn't scary there scooter, at least not here.

You know what I think: I think you are some kind of time traveling reject from 1999...back when it was 'cool' for tards like you to do dumb shit like this, and now you are simply lost. Get with the goddamn times. You seem smart enough to at least not type like a mong...and that's half the battle.

I totally agree with Columbine. As for video games being unproductive? HORSE SHIT! I am a script writer and 85% of my ideas come from video games. Believe it or not I have written a Doom story and am currently re-writing it due to lack of detail. ALSO Grand Theft, Def Jam FFNY, and Final Fantasy VII- which is on hold thanks to the much delayed movie by Square Enix.

Columbine said:

The name Columbine was simply for the inspiration of fear, seeming like a hellish nightmare.

You do realise it's the name of a flower, right?

Danarchy said:

You do realise it's the name of a flower, right?

the flower of fear and nightmares