Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Open Letter to Doom Fans

Dave Callaham, screenwriter for the upcoming movie based on Doom 3, has sent an open letter to Doom fans about recent changes made to the Doom movie that were received with, let's just say not a lot of fanfare, from fans of Doom and video games, coupled with the consistent crappy quality of movies based on them. Here's a snippit:

No film adaptation can ever match the expectations of the original fans, and the Doom movie will be no different. You as fans each have your own perfect version of the Doom film already shot in your head, and those versions aren't always what the guy next to you would want to see in the same movie (someone out there on doomworld.com sure loved the idea of Howie Long as Doomguy -- which is perfect aesthetically, but let's face it, totally absurd if you want this movie to come out in theatres). I myself have a perfect version of the Doom movie all played out in my head--I even wrote it down--and it's not getting made either. And I'm not always real happy about it, but I do understand that that is the nature of the Hollywood machine.

You can read the whole letter over at HomeLAN Fed, if you so desire. And enjoy the mutant monsters from space or something. Yeah right.

Schneelocke said:

In other words, it's going to suck, we know it, and there's nothing we're gonna do about it.

I don't think you're very familiar with exactly how little power screenwriters have over big-budget hollywood blockbusters. Nevermind screenwriters who don't have any prior screenplays on their resume.

In short the answer is zero.

Cyb said:

I don't think you're very familiar with exactly how little power screenwriters have over big-budget hollywood blockbusters. Nevermind screenwriters who don't have any prior screenplays on their resume.

In short the answer is zero.

Oh, I do know that, and I'm not blaming him personally, either.

Schneelocke said:

In other words, it's going to suck, we know it, and there's nothing we're gonna do about it.

It's going to suck, we know it and hate ourself for being puppets in the huge corporate machine that is hollowwood, and there's nothing we can do about it but take it in the ass and say thank you.

kristus said:

It's going to suck, we know it and hate ourself for being puppets in the huge corporate machine that is hollowwood, and there's nothing we can do about it but take it in the ass and say thank you.

Lets see... first i am going to buy it at a flea market as SVCD... if i like what i see, THEN ill go to Cinemaxx, pay my 10 Euro and enjoy the film.
If i dont like what i see, my cat and my parrot have 2 CDs to play with ;)

But i think that this one is going to suck like that Perry Rhodan movie, SOS from space.
Too farfetchet from the books.
If you dont know PR, its a german science fiction serie that is ~30 years old and that is being sold as "~35 page thick books"(We in Germany call them "Groschenromane", what are they called in English?) on monthly base. Want to know more? PM me ;)

pretty cool of the guy to acknowledge the 'authentic' audience.
Maybe the Doomguy will now look like he should have from the start:
Fredrik with long hair

Oh, damn. I just figured out the PERFECT doomguy for a doom movie. Robert Patrick, played the metal terminator in Terminator 2, and Agent Doggett on the X-Files. He looks EXACTLY like the Doom 3 doomguy, and is all badass and whatnot.

So, it will suck, but as that's how Hollywood allways works, it should be to much (mental) work to make something different.

Hahahaha, oh God this movie is going to be shit.

But seriously though, if you're reading this Dave Callaham: You seem like a decent and intelligent enough guy, why the hell are you wasting your life with this shit?

The people you're working with are clearly morons, if not borderline insane. They sign up to film a story of space marines fighting an invasion from hell, and make a movie about SWAT teams killing some sick people? That's not "traditional Hollywood interests", it's "lowest common denominator, I'm-a-lousy-director-who's-scared-to-make-anything-but-a-modern-cop-flick interests". Presumably if these people had signed up for Lord of The Rings it'd have ended up a buddy movie about two maverick cops trying to stop some middle eastern terrorists from blowing up the White House, and it'd have been called "Lethal Weapon 5". I guess we can be glad "traditional Hollywood interests" didn't win out in that case, eh?

Face it: The people making this movie are retards. They suck, this movie will suck, and by making excuses for them, you suck as well.

Hmm mister writer, you either make doom the right way, or don't make it at all. So far, I would rather see no movie based on doom than this.

Well at least they can't desecrate Doom as badly as they did Tomb Raider in the movie of that, by halving the size of Lara's tits.

Oops, sorry, we're meant to be deadly serious and really angry about this, aren't we?

/me makes angry mob noises.

SWAT Teams killing sick people? WTF. That has nothing whatsoever to do with doom lol! I feel sorry for the people who are making this movie if that is the real theme they are going to use. Hmmm... I wonder if they have ever heard of a game called Doom. You know that game where you are a lone marine fighting the forces of Hell.

It's all marketing. More people would see the movie if it was called 'Doom' than 'Sick SWAT Sabotage' or some crap name like that. :D

Ralphis said:

For what it's worth I think Angelina Jolie is pretty hot.

Yeah, except that her lips are as big as her tits.

boris said:

Yeah, except that her lips are as big as her tits.

That's a plus in her favor.

So far, it seems that this movie will handily ensure the continuation of a trend in shit ass game to movie conversions.

Just an idea, whats if we all fall to a PR-hoax?
If we get our team of space marienes trying to escape from Mars, but are told shit for now so that we get suprised?

Mr Callahan said:

You as fans each have your own perfect version of the Doom film already shot in your head, and those versions aren't always what the guy next to you would want to see in the same movie

I think it is safe to say that not a single member of this community had an image of Swat teams vs Sick people in their heads for this movie!

You'd better return to the real Doom concept or I'll vote a HELL NO for this movie...

The movie does NOT feature a SWAT team. According to one guy, the marines' uniforms somewhat resemble SWAT uniforms.

NiGHTMARE said:

The movie does NOT feature a SWAT team. According to one guy, the marines' uniforms somewhat resemble SWAT uniforms.

Hmm....
.oO( SWAT Uniforms with UAC Logo on the back?!? )

meh. I'm going to try and keep an open mind about this....pretty hard, though.

oh and angry mob noises: rabble rabble rabble rabble

I don't enjoy watching a bunch of strangers bastardize my baby any more than you do, but really none of us can do anything about it at this point

O P E N L E T T E R

What a whimp! Just be honest. And tell everybody that you needed the money and didn't really care enough to build in a clause that said they only could make changes to the script with your consent.
Please stop whining.