Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marius

Wow, KDiZD is insanely good!

I was looking around the zdoom forums and was able to find some links to the upcoming, work-in-progress, levels of the upcoming project Knee Deep in Zdoom.

My favorite type of level is techbase and damn are these some good techbase levels. They are still a bit like the e1 maps they are based on, but very little. Most of the levels are mostly new. Longer, harder, with new kinds of enemies. And the enemies are actually enjoyable new additions. The crazy fast blood bull demons, the rocket soldiers, the chainsaw soldiers, the super beefy imp.... The level of graphical detail is wonderful too. And the sound!!! It's this scary ambient stuff and certain ambient sounds are tied to different part of the level, like when you get near a nukage pipe that is spill out the green stuff you can hear it pour.

Prolly the single best thing i can say is that it makes the cherished old levels feel scary again and the creepiness is heightened by the fact that the levels feel like distorted versions of the one you remember.

Oh man, this wad is gonna be huge when it goes public. But most of you guys prolly knew all this, huh?

I was wondering, is the blue keycard trap in the e1m3 map a tribute to the trap in agent spork's e1m3 Reicarnated? I liked that remake, too.

No. Tribute to Unreal map 03: Mines of Raajigar (hope I spelled that right..), at least AFAIK. Ask TUD, he's responsible for that area.

Lutrov71 said:

Heh, I thought you were just a graphics guy. :D

I do maps and graphics for the project ;)

Actually, also KDiZD and without being too proud of my project: "Team Leader and Project Head" *yeah baby, this sounds great*

...and to be honest: As soon as this piece of cake is released, you will know all of the names of persons who worked on the project :)

Nmn said:

No. Tribute to Unreal map 03: Mines of Raajigar (hope I spelled that right..), at least AFAIK. Ask TUD, he's responsible for that area.

Heh, that's what I based the trap in my rendition of the map on as well. Heh, I seriously doubt anyone would make a tribute to one of my maps. They're not that good. :P

Edit: Is KDiZD even finished yet? I want it. :( I'm not going to play it until it's finished, though.

Yeah, Risen did an amazing job with the intermission part, absolutely amazing, doubtlessly :)

Oh, and it is not yet finished, but about 80% is done, so a release is very close!

It has one major failing, and it starts with Blood and ends with Skull.

Lutrov71 said:

What, is he actually working on the project?

Yes, Tormentor said he likes his style. Don't worry about a thing-we'll be having so many beta tests that I'm sure all crap anyone would left will be taken out, and areas detailed and gameplay perfect.

Nmn said:

Yes, Tormentor said he likes his style.

Tormentor needs to up his medication.

Lutrov71 said:

Yeah but Bloodskull in KDIZD is insane.

I have no activity in it right now as they pretty much have almost everything done. The only thing I would do really is just beta test.

Acting like children aside...

I said it before however, Bloodskull could be one of the greatest success stories in Doom mapping history, behind Cyb of course. His new work is actually decent looking, improving leaps and bounds upon what were abysmal maps just a year ago.

Yes, but I don't think Bloodskulls maps are of a high enough quality just yet to be in KDIZD. He has made mainly DM maps that look good, and I don't recall any single player maps from him that play good as well as looking good together, and that's what I think KDiZD will be great for. Highly suspensful, fun maps that look great.

Scuba Steve said:

Acting like children aside...

I said it before however, Bloodskull could be one of the greatest success stories in Doom mapping history, behind Cyb of course. His new work is actually decent looking, improving leaps and bounds upon what were abysmal maps just a year ago.

I think Bloodskull has definitely improved. The version of his Phobos Strike map I played had some nice areas, but there were also large portions of the map that needed serious work done to them. He still has a *long* way to go before he becomes 'one of the greatest success stories in Doom mapping history'.

I don't see how Bloodskull could be worthy of that title anyway. He's just going through the stages any novice mapper goes through as they learn the ropes. It's just that most people do the earliest stages in quiet before releasing something that probably ends up only being half-decent at best. Bloodskull just made those earliest stages more public. I don't see how his progression is anything more than you would usually expect, after a mapper gains a little experience.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to KDIZD too :oP

Bloodskull said:

I have no activity in it right now as they pretty much have almost everything done. The only thing I would do really is just beta test.

Eh? According your last post in the KDIZD thread over at the ZDoom forums, this week you should be working on E1M5, and next week on E1M9.

If you're not actually doing any work on these maps, you might want to post there about it.

NiGHTMARE said:

Eh? According your last post in the KDIZD thread over at the ZDoom forums, this week you should be working on E1M5, and next week on E1M9.

If you're not actually doing any work on these maps, you might want to post there about it.

Lazyness shall not be tolerated. You will be Tormented by a new Nightmare that has just Risen ... :)

EDIT:

I think it's worthy mentioning here that the screens at WIP have been updated. Get over there for a taste of what awaits You at the end of February!! :D

The Flange Peddler said:

I don't see how Bloodskull could be worthy of that title anyway. He's just going through the stages any novice mapper goes through as they learn the ropes.

This true, and it still doesn't change the fact I find him about as likeable as a sandpaper condom.

Nmn said:

I think it's worthy mentioning here that the screens at WIP have been updated. Get over there for a taste of what awaits You at the end of February!! :D

I'm not one to fawn over zdoom projects (RTC aside) but those new screens look mighty tasty!