Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[D3HoE]Makaveli

Baron Of Hell Skinned

Strangely, he strikes me as looking more like a reinterpretation of the classic Cyberdemon - without cybernetic implants.

But he looks badass. Great work :-D

S1lent said:

Why couldn't iD just have done this kind of thing?

Very nice. Keep up the good work guys.

There are two possible reasons that I can think of:

1. They didn't think a Baron is necessary, because the HK is basically somewhere the classic HK and Baron as far as toughness goes and its attack is basically the same. They would rather include new enemies than make a tougher version of the HK.

2. Maybe they're saving him for an expansion pack and he wasn't included in D3 because they had a limited amount of time to implement him properly (they did not want to delay Doom 3 by a couple more months as a result of 666 new bugs that came along with another enemy's implementation).

1. They didn't think a Baron is necessary, because the HK is basically somewhere the classic HK and Baron as far as toughness goes and its attack is basically the same. They would rather include new enemies than make a tougher version of the HK.

Then why in the hell didn't they do the Baron of Hell and not a Hell Knight?

2. Maybe they're saving him for an expansion pack and he wasn't included in D3 because they had a limited amount of time to implement him properly (they did not want to delay Doom 3 by a couple more months as a result of 666 new bugs that came along with another enemy's implementation).

If that's so, then they should have switched models and toughened it up, since their behavior is exactly the same...
Btw, I'm not argueing with you, dsm, just exclaiming that id really had no excuse not to include it. It must have just come down to personal preference by someone on the dev team.

EarthQuake said:
Then why in the hell didn't they do the Baron of Hell and not a Hell Knight?

Before Doom 3 was released, I often argued with other people on these boards that I felt the HK was the lamest monster in Doom 2. I felt it was a pointless enemy and that Id had been lazy not to at least make it different from the Baron other than its colours.
People disagreed with me, saying that they preferred the HK over the Baron because "the Baron was annoying because it was so tough - the HK was a better solution).

My theory is that Id listened to people with that mindset and decided that the HK would be more popular.

If that's so, then they should have switched models and toughened it up, since their behavior is exactly the same...

Yeah well Id probably didn't want another enemy with exactly the same behavior.

Btw, I'm not argueing with you, dsm, just exclaiming that id really had no excuse not to include it. It must have just come down to personal preference by someone on the dev team.

If you don't want to argue with me, then it's a dumb idea to exclaim things like "Id has no excuse" and the like, because I'm really, really tired of people with no idea about how development of the game went inside of Id, accusing the company of being assholes, assuming they owe their fans better treatment.

How can you be so sure they had no excuse? Were you there when they made the decision?

Come on, you got to have the arachnotrons. ;) It doesn't have to be much work either, just rescale the spidermastermind, give it a plasma gun, a new skin, and there you go. ;)

Yes, keep the arachnotrons and toss away either the trites or the ticks. Or both. :P

Janderson said:

To be honest I don't think the arachnotrons were all that fun. IMO they are more annoying than the D2 Revenants.

And Trites and Ticks are better? I loved having the mini-bosses running around. Hearing the pitter-patter of 2-ton spider-brains as they shoot at you with their monsterously huge plasma cannon.

Janderson said:

To be honest I don't think the arachnotrons were all that fun. IMO they are more annoying than the D2 Revenants.

If you in wide-open spaces with no cover and alls you got is a single barreled shotgun then yes, but Arachnotrons are meant to be Hell's answer to a tank - it's not meant to be a cake walk to take this beast down.

At least they're wide, big targets that don't move too quickly, they have a low pain tolerance, which makes it really easy to interrupt their attacks, and you can still easily dodge their attacks unless you let them continue to shoot at you. Oh, and they're not as tough as the Baron of Hell.

Maybe you've played too many wads that abuse the Arachnotron and use it in places where it truly is annoying?

When there are ticks and trites it is one of those tense situations (for me anyway) that justifies why your still carring a pistol and tests your ability to dodge, unless you can pridict where they emerge from.

When Arachnitrons are used in mass, e.g. Dead Simple, it's really not that fun for me and after a while I get bored of them. And yes, my reasons are mostly because of the abuse of them in WADs.

The thing for me is, they don't look hellish to me, with their metallic legs (I still like 'Pinky though) and their cute blue eyes. They just don't seem to fit in, except perhaps being the children of Mother Brain.

Janderson said:

WHAT??? No Way.Arachnotrons are one of the best and most challenging doom monsters.I always enjoy fighting them.Although I do agree with you on what you said about them in Map07.