Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amaster

Doom Movie Scriptwriter Speaks!

http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=28042
Apparently that crap everyone's been ranting about (concerning a certain quote on a certain site) was untrue.

Dave Callahan said:

Sometime in the last week or two, there was quite an uproar over a quote I allegedly made regarding my bravado in completely disfiguring the plot of the Doom games when I went about writing the screenplay for the film. First and foremost, allow me to state that I never made that quote. The reporting news source reported that I made that quote during an open press visit to the Doom set in Prague, during a week in which I was in fact in Los Angeles. Additionally, I want to add that I would never under any circumstances address either the press or the Doom fans with anything resembling the snide elitism that I perceive that quote to connote. In these regards, I consider the journalism involved to be nothing less than shoddy and irresponsible.

There's a plug for DW too.

Phew..

so that shit must've been about Resident Evil 3 or somethin' :/

No, he basically confirmed what had been reported if you check the article. He doesn't deny any of the previous allegations. He doesn't say there are monsters or that the movie takes place on mars or that demonic forces are involved.

The fact that he didn't correct any of these statements and only corrected the tone of the earlier fake comments lends them credence.

He further indicates that the bad reports are true by saying that: "it was never the goal of anyone involved in this film, from myself and the producers to the studio to the guys at id, to make a direct film adaptation of the game(s). The thought process has always been to create an extension of the Doom universe that will give fans an interesting new take on the themes that they've come to enjoy in the game" So there are changes.

And futher badness is indicated when he says: "I very truthfully believe that my unapologetic and hyper-violent script would have been a Doom fan's movie dream come true. However, since my involvement, the film has steadily moved away from the realm of fandom and more toward the realm of traditional Hollywood interests. It's not been ideal, in my opinion, but I did what I could when I could, and I stand by that work."

And the bad signs just keep rolling in when he says: "I don't enjoy watching a bunch of strangers bastardize my baby any more than you do, but really none of us can do anything about it at this point, so I hope that at least some of you will fret, with me, in the direction of optimism."

So all signs point to this movie being not for major doom fans. I don't think anyone could have realistically believed that a good hollywood type movie could be made of Doom. They mess up every video game movie. Every single one! It's like they do it on purpose.

Lets see... the only "source" for these alleged plot changes are a quote, a quote which we now know to be fake... yet you still believe they're true? :rollseyes:

I mean one rumour, i.e. "the film is about a modern day SWAT team" has already been shown to be a load of nonsense (they just supposedly somewhat resemble a SWAT team), so it's not as if fake Doom: the movie plot details are without precedent.

I'm not saying i believe the original quote, only pointing out that the scriptwriter refuted none of the claims of the previous article, confirmed that the people who wrote the article did actually visit the set, and made several statements that confirm that the doom movie will differ in some significant ways from the game, without specifically saying how.

Marius said:

I'm not saying i believe the original quote, only pointing out that the scriptwriter refuted none of the claims of the previous article, confirmed that the people who wrote the article did actually visit the set, and made several statements that confirm that the doom movie will differ in some significant ways from the game, without specifically saying how.

One word: sensationalism.

It's beign filmed in Prague? The last movie I remember being filmed there was...Dungeons and Dragons. *gulp*

Rather ironically, Hellboy and From Hell (which is actually set in Victorian era London ;)) were also filmed in Prague.

Other movies filmed there (either in part or in full) include Alien Vs. Predator *double gulp*, The Princess Diaries 2, The Phantom of the Opera, Euro Trip, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Shanghai Knights, Underworld, Blade II, the Bourne Identity, XXX, A Knight's Tale, and Mission: Impossible.

sigh... it's not sensationalism at all. When the first article came out i didn't take it too seriously because i couldn't even read it. I didn't know whether it was legit or not. Some people were freaking out about it, but i was waiting for some response from more reliable sources.

And such a thing has come, from the screenwriter himself. All i did was was copy several of his own quotes about the doom movie that appear to indicate that changes have been made from the original doom idea, changes even he doesn't like. I am not being sensationalist because i am merely quoting someone in the know.

At this point we don't know what the magnitude of these changes are (or what they are specifically), but we do know that some have been made. They could be minor annoyances/disappointments or major ones, only time will tell.

Hey, I hope you guys are right. I want the movie be great too. And it may be. I just don't think that the letter clears up all of the concerns caused by the original article.

NiGHTMARE said:

Rather ironically, Hellboy and From Hell (which is actually set in Victorian era London ;)) were also filmed in Prague.

Other movies filmed there (either in part or in full) include Alien Vs. Predator *double gulp*, The Princess Diaries 2, The Phantom of the Opera, Euro Trip, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Shanghai Knights, Underworld, Blade II, the Bourne Identity, XXX, A Knight's Tale, and Mission: Impossible.

Umm.. Underworld was filmed in Budapest, not Prague.

And if you *double gulp* AvP, I'll *triple gulp* The Princess Diaries 2! :D

Well Hellboy and From Hell both ruled. Underworld and Knight's Tale though...bleh.

whats Doom doing in Prague?? please god dont tell me they're rewriting the story again and now its set in 17th century Europe :(

I've found it frustrating that I somehow became the goat for the perceived shortcomings of the film

Oh really, Dave? What in the world could make people think you were responsible for "dropping the ball" in terms of preserving the original Doom storyline? I wonder.

Instead, we have toyed with some elements of the game, and yes, I am pretty much solely responsible for that, since it was my pitch and my screenplay that got made.

Yes, that's it.

Hey, I hope your big Hollywood movie makes big Hollywood money.

Foofoo said:

whats Doom doing in Prague?? please god dont tell me they're rewriting the story again and now its set in 17th century Europe :(

So if it were being filmed in Los Angeles, it would mean they'd rewritten the story to be set in 17th century America? Prague has changed just as much - if not more - in the past 400 years as the typical American city.

Numbermind
Hey, I hope your big Hollywood movie makes big Hollywood money.

Saying this film is a Hollywood movie is like saying the Simpsons is an Australian TV programme, or that Chester City is an American football club.

Doominsanity said:

In my opinion, the film is probly a low budget project with Id demanding excessive royalty fees for original content.

Yeah, and imo you're probably a Martian who thought that the Earth was such a wonderfully weird place that you decided to settle here.

It's obvious why it's not set on Mars, they didn't want to spend the money to have to build big Martian sets and everything, so supplanting the story into a random Eastern European city like oh, sah, Prague allows them to shoot there instead and spend the money on other things like actors and special effects.

It would be cool to see someone like John Carpenter to do the Doom movie. He did an excellent job with the Thing and Into the mouth of madness which, by the way, was about demons flooding through the gates of hell. I loved both of those movies.

Doominsanity said:

Cheapasses are not sticking with the original Doom setting, but going with no demons, friggin tooth fairies, and swat team assholes.

Why do you believe the word of a proven liar?

Also, I'm tired of having to repeat myself: this movie does NOT feature a SWAT team. It features marines who - in the opinion of a single person who's probably never even played Doom 3 - resemble SWAT members.

I hope they don't screw this movie up as bad as it sounds like they might because I will definitely go to see it.