Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Naked Snake

DOOM was meant to be modified

Mechasam has been saying that DOOM should not be modified (at the same time he is working on a DOOM mod) and I belive this is bullshit. If DOOM was not meant to be modified ID would not have released the source code, and wads would be harder to make. ID wanted DOOM to be modified, and they got their wish. Ports, mods, bots, online DM servers, are all modifications and is what has kept DOOM fresh for all these years. Modifying DOOM has kept it popular years after its release, which many games cannot say. So, Mechasam, while you are working on your mod, can you still call yourself a Puritan DOOMER? No...

We thought it, you said it. Well done :p

No really, I agree, but it seemed like it needn't have been said. On the one hand, I admire mechasm's balls about 'coming out' like this, but in the other hand, he was talking out of his smelly parts.

It's like saying that you're not SUPPOSED to create custom characters on RPGs, and you're not SUPPOSED to play games differently to the way everyone has been doing for years.

It's like saying that you're not SUPPOSED to create custom characters on RPGs, and you're not SUPPOSED to play games differently to the way everyone has been doing for years.

Why not? is there a written rule to it? let people do what they want and don't argue with them about it. only way we'll have some peace in the world.

On the one hand, I admire mechasm's balls about 'coming out' like this, but in the other hand, he was talking out of his smelly parts.

First, I wouldn't be going around saying I admire someone else's genitalia, especially if the someone is of the same gender as me ;)

Second, aren't "mechasm's (sic) balls" and his "smelly parts" somewhat synonymous? ;)

Damn straight it was meant to be modified.
I think id purposely made it haxor-easy.

while you are working on your mod, can you still call yourself a Puritan DOOMER?

That would mean I'm not a Puritan Doomer? I mean how would I be THE MOST RESPECTED COMMUNITY MEMBER. EVER. if I wasn't a puritan doomer

Uuh... get stuff right. You're not modifying the game if you make a patch WAD. What you create is some external file that the Doom executable can load and display. The original game remains intact, so it's never modified - it's just expanded in the moment you play your PWAD. Modification is an inappropriate word. Say expansion.

So, Mechasam, while you are working on your mod, can you still call yourself a Puritan DOOMER? No...

Ahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahaha

Instead of building an army against me behind my back, say it in my post instead of acting like a high school girl spreading rumors. I am flattered that people have actually STARTED posts against me.

Instead of building an army against me behind my back, say it in my post instead of acting like a high school girl spreading rumors.

These are not rumors, this is an opinion. How is this building an army against you? People dont like you, so you yourself have built up this so called "army".

I am flattered that people have actually STARTED posts against me

Dont be, this is not against you, this is saying that DOOM was meant to be changed, I only used you as an example to make my point.

ID wanted DOOM to be modified, and they got their wish.

Yeah your right, that's why they made Quake.

No, Quake is a different game, and not really an enhancement over DOOM but a different game that was better. There is a difference between modifying a game and releasing the new mod and releasing a game that is better than the one before it.

So you're saying quake can be modified, but doom can't? RACISM!!! SHALLOW AND FLAT OUT RACISM!!!

Mechasam

might i re-direct you to planetquake?
But i agree, doom should not be modified, we should play it, enjoy it and be thankful of what we have.

bullshit

I bet you'll have to convince all the doomgods first before you speak up for opinion that loud. Once again, I'd like to say I will only accept official modification which would be Doom 3, but not edge or any crap like those, except for doomserv and zdoom, possibly legacy but not quite like it

No, Quake is a different game, and not really an enhancement over DOOM but a different game that was better.

I'm going to get a running start and punt your balls clear up to your tonsils.

No, Quake is a different game, and not really an enhancement over DOOM but a different game that was better. There is a difference between modifying a game and releasing the new mod and releasing a game that is *WORSE* than the one before it.

The claim that DooM was not meant to be modified makes no sense at all. If it was so then why did ID leave the -file option and tell about it in the readme? Why did the release deathmatch launcher that supported additional wad's? And why the fuck did the release the source code if they didnt mean it to be modified?

Of course the source code was released just some time ago and does not prove the original intentions but the possibility to add wads to the game from the command line speaks out pretty clearly. As does the launcher designed to allow adding external wad files. So anyone who claims that DooM was not meant to be modified is just making an laughable ass of himself.

No, that is why they created the .wad format, which is specifically designed so that you can replace individual parts of the main wad file, allowing you to create your own levels, graphics mods, sound mods, etc. Moron.

Damn straight it was meant to be modified.
I think id purposely made it haxor-easy.

Haxor-easy? It's not "haxor-easy", it's "open source".

Mechasam. What would ID be if they didn't make any more games after doom? a faded memory. They made Quake, because Doom was done, and they were gonna make another game after that, and another after that, and another, and another.. and so on. That's the way it works.

Fuck it, even the id guys say DooM was meant to be modified. Take Carmack's .plan the day the Linux no-sound source code was released : he asked people to make slopes, OpenGL and modern netplay with it.

Source port creators have done nothing more than adding everything id would have wanted to implement if it was possible at the time.

Source port creators have done nothing more than adding everything id would have wanted to implement if it was possible at the time.

Shit, Source Port creators have added shit ID wouldnt have even thought of.